Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online Doctorate Program - without dissertation
I am currently helping my daughter earn her college credits while she is also earning her high school credits. I started thinking, hey why don't I start looking into this for myself! I hold three degrees, A.A.S., B.A. and M.A. (earned the ol' fashioned way ~ too much time and too much money). So, the next step would be a doctorate degree. Maybe, earn a degree in the up and coming "Distance Learning" Field? Thoughts or suggestions? Thank you.
Hi hoffdeb; welcome!

What subjects are your degrees in? What would you be interested in giving up a large part of your life to study for the next few years? Why not a dissertation? People less smart than you*earn doctorates with dissertations every week.

Meanwhile, most doctorates without dissertations per se, excluding first-professional doctorates like the M.D., have dissertation-like major research papers, professional application papers, or similar.
The reason I picked a masters instead of a doctorate (more correctly, one of the reasons....) is because as a master's student, I still get to be a student. As a learner, I get to take subject matter classes and do a nice little thesis at the end. A doctorate means I have to make meaningful contribution to the field, presumably through a dissertation/research project, and my learning would be limited to research/stats/etc. mainly. So, it sounds to me as if you're really wanting a second master's. There are few short cuts in grad school, but many in undergrad- especially 100/200 levels, which allows many people to pursue grad school because they still have resources, money, and stamina leftover. I think the best that this board has to offer is in the way of undergraduate credit alternatives, I think you're not going to get all the help you need looking for doctoral advice. HOWEVER, the "other" forum many of us are on might be a better place to ask your question, since most of the members there have or are in progress for graduate work. If this forum is the premier test out forum (it is) then the other forum is the premier distance learning forum. Good luck whatever you decide! DegreeInfo Distance Learning - online degree forum - The Front Page
You are in the right place because I am probably one of only 2 people on both forums who have seriously sought out and found online doctorates without dissertations in recent years. I posted my findings on this forum and the other forum.

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...ation.html
http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...ms-no.html

These programs, however, do have applied research projects. Valdosta State University also has an applied research project if I remember correctly, but I've heard it's just as intensive as completing a dissertation. With the programs I've listed (with the exception of Texas A&M), the number of credit hours expected for the research projects are lower than what's usually expected for a dissertation. I've looked at the LinkedIn profiles of those who have completed ASU's DBH program, and it looks like all of them completed the program in under 3 years. Several years ago, the other forum listed that one of Northcentral University's programs did not have a dissertation, but that is no longer the case.

Edit: I'm going to have to update the links to the Texas A&M program. I've heard that Colorado Technical University will waive the dissertation requirement if you've published 3 papers. Nova Southeastern's program doesn't even have a real research project. They have a 2-credit capstone.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
If you're looking at psychology then a Psy.D is an alternative to a Ph.D. It usually doesn't require a dissertation, but due to this, is mainly used for clinical practice, not research (obviously). I don't believe there are any legitimate accredited online Psy.Ds though. So I'd suggest a Masters as it allows you to do most of the things a Psy.D does in most states with less work, less expense, but you'll have to do longer supervised residency. Wake Forest and Adams State offer online MAs as well as a few of the private religious schools (Regents and a few others). Make certain the program is CACREP approved. CACREP has a list on their site. No CACREP accreditation basically means a counseling MA isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
BA Psychology - TESC

CLEP Biology - 56
CLEP Human Growth and Development - 56
CLEP College Mathematics - 54
CLEP Educational Psychology - 58
CLEP Social Sciences and History - 70
CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 59
ECE Psychology of Adulthood and Aging -B
ECE Research Methods in Psychology - B
DSST Substance Abuse - 429
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling - 53
DSST Intro to World Religion - 458
sklineho Wrote:If you're looking at psychology then a Psy.D is an alternative to a Ph.D. It usually doesn't require a dissertation, but due to this, is mainly used for clinical practice, not research (obviously). I don't believe there are any legitimate accredited online Psy.Ds though. So I'd suggest a Masters as it allows you to do most of the things a Psy.D does in most states with less work, less expense, but you'll have to do longer supervised residency. Wake Forest and Adams State offer online MAs as well as a few of the private religious schools (Regents and a few others). Make certain the program is CACREP approved. CACREP has a list on their site. No CACREP accreditation basically means a counseling MA isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

There are several online PsyDs (they all require dissertations), but none of them are APA accredited. Fielding Graduate University has the only online doctoral degree in psychology that's APA accredited. It's a PhD program. They were on probation not too long ago, but I think they're off now. The overwhelming majority of states do not require APA accreditation. As far as CACREP....I'm trying to remember, but I don't think many states require CACREP accreditation. I know my state doesn't. My state will accept degrees in psychology, social work, and marriage and family therapy in addition to counseling for professional counseling licensure. CACREP doesn't even accredit psychology, social work, or marriage and family therapy programs. I know the federal government requires CACREP for counseling positions in the VA.

From my research, I have only found two PsyD programs without a dissertation and neither are online.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Well I live in Georgia and the state definitely requires CACREP for counselors. But many may not. I'd still go with one that's CACREP approved as it looks better and you don't have to worry if you ever move to a stae that does require it.
BA Psychology - TESC

CLEP Biology - 56
CLEP Human Growth and Development - 56
CLEP College Mathematics - 54
CLEP Educational Psychology - 58
CLEP Social Sciences and History - 70
CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 59
ECE Psychology of Adulthood and Aging -B
ECE Research Methods in Psychology - B
DSST Substance Abuse - 429
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling - 53
DSST Intro to World Religion - 458

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 273 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,149 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 213 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,463 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 601 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,618 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 352 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,092 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 369 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
Shocked Online Course Provider 2U (edX) Faces Doubts It Can Continue ($900 Million in debt) Ares 3 376 02-16-2024, 02:51 AM
Last Post: studyingfortests