Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior 117 Transfer Credit BLA - GPA?
Excelsior has a bachelor transfer option that lets you bring 117 credits and requires only 4 credits in residency. Would this route have any affect on graduate school admission from non profit/ state / private schools with somwhat good/ good reputation (I’m looking into applying to MBA programs - mostly AACSB accredited ones). Do you think/know this be seen/accepted as any other RA bachelor in the admission process? Has anyone had any experience with this?

***New question:

I have an associate degree + 15 credits from Ashworth and 16 credits from a 4 year RA school, does anyone know exactly how my cumulative GPA would be calculated? I can’t seem to find this info in their catalogs/website.

Eek, sorry. I should probably just call them, such a simple question. Wish there was an option to delete this thread. Thank you for replies guys!
Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
BABA, New England College, 2019
(01-17-2018, 04:57 AM)harrypotter Wrote: Excelsior has a bachelor transfer option that lets you bring 117 credits and requires only 4 credits in residency. Would this route have any affect on graduate school admission from non profit/ state / private schools with somwhat good/ good reputation (I’m looking into applying to MBA programs - mostly AACSB accredited ones). Do you think/know this be seen/accepted as any other RA bachelor in the admission process? Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks in advance!

The degree from EC is regionally accredited - that's the only thing I can tell you. That is the benchmark of standard for the type of degree you'd receive. Everything else is speculation.
I would say, that in all of my research, I've never seen a graduate school stipulate how you earn your undergraduate degree unless they've indicated specific courses you need to take (MBA, for instance, is going to want you to have taken economics, maybe statistics, etc.).
I will tell you that there are a zillion members here who have gone onto RA/non-profit graduate MBA programs without incident. If the specific school you really want to attend has specific criteria, then, by all means, do that. But if the question is can you get into a grad school? Of course.
There are education snobs everywhere, but in general MBA programs are experience oriented as much or more than they are degree oriented. Plenty of people get into MBA programs with non-business degrees because they have the experience and basic prerequisites. The other thing to remember about MBA programs is that they are money makers for most schools. It is not in their interest to turn away students who qualify and can do the work.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(01-17-2018, 04:57 AM)harrypotter Wrote: Excelsior has a bachelor transfer option that lets you bring 117 credits and requires only 4 credits in residency. Would this route have any affect on graduate school admission from non profit/ state / private schools with somwhat good/ good reputation (I’m looking into applying to MBA programs - mostly AACSB accredited ones). Do you think/know this be seen/accepted as any other RA bachelor in the admission process? Has anyone had any experience with this?

***New question:

I have an associate degree + 15 credits from Ashworth and 16 credits from a 4 year RA school, does anyone know exactly how my cumulative GPA would be calculated? I can’t seem to find this info in their catalogs/website.

Eek, sorry. I should probably just call them, such a simple question. Wish there was an option to delete this thread. Thank you for replies guys!

When you apply to EC, your credits simply come in as credit, not GPA. Anything you earn directly FROM EC would make up your new EC GPA, but your "old" credit is still alive and well. When the time comes that you apply to grad school, some may ask for something like "GPA for last 30 graded credits" or "Cumulative GPA of X" etc. and in that case, it's highly likely that they will want ALL your college transcripts (Ashworth, 4 year RA school, and EC) and they may do their own recalculation. If you need to IMPROVE your GPA, you'll need graded credits since testing out an ACE sources are only "credit" and won't do anything to your GPA. If your old GPA is fine, then no worries.
A buddy of mine, back when he was in grad school at Emory University, was perusing a list of people working on graduate degrees at the school one day. The list also included the names of the schools the students had earned their undergrad degrees from. My friend noticed one student was an Excelsior College graduate (Regents College at the time). He took note of that because he knew that I had earned an Excelsior undergrad degree. So, yes, Excelsior grads do sometimes end up at some pretty swanky grad schools.
(01-17-2018, 04:57 AM)harrypotter Wrote: ...

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to that question. For your own purposes you can just add up all the grade points earned and divide by the number of credits attempted. Officially, different schools have different rules for handling plus and minus grades, F grades, withdrawals, and duplicate courses. Each grad school will have their own calculation that may ignore the rules of your school anyway...that's one of the reasons why they will want ALL your transcripts so they can calculate your GPA their way. The other reason is to verify your degree and prerequisites.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 66 15,929 04-09-2024, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 662 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 1,037 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,788 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 680 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  SUNY Buffalo State : 15 credits transfer Msc Multidisciplinary Studies durain 6 1,113 11-17-2023, 05:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ENEB transfer credit to Universidad Azteca/UCN and others Kalas 14 2,556 10-06-2023, 09:28 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  Graduate transfer credits Aya 17 1,390 08-17-2023, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Aya
  UCMO: Online MS Occupational Safety Management 30-36 credit, $11.8K-$14.2K bjcheung77 6 813 05-18-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  MBA Alt Credit joshua27 11 1,236 05-16-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77