Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Advisor/ Academic Plan
Good Evening Everyone,

I enrolled at Excelsior and I'm currently awaiting to hear from my academic advisor about how my junior college credits will be applied.  I am wondering how it works.  They know that I want to test out of everything that I possibly can; (CLEP, UExcel, DSST, are there more that I should know about?) Do I ask my advisor what exams I can take or do I request to take the exams to fulfill a requirement and they say yes or no?  How was/is your relationship with your advisor?  Did they use your credits in more than one place as stated that they may do (Credits used to satisfy requirements in one area may simultaneously satisfy requirements in another area)?

I have listed my credits that I have already attained (not including military credits or Physical Education) below (All were A or B grades). I was wondering if someone could help me formulate how to do the above (test out of as many things as I can).  I don't know if this is the appropriate forum area to tell this and ask if anyone can help with my academic plan so please let me know if this portion of the post still needs to be posted somewhere else.  Thank you.

GG

Junior College Credits Earned: 36
Psychology (6) - Human Lifespan (3), Human Sexualities (3)
Anthropology (12) - Archeology Prehistory (3), Physical (3), Cultural (3), Magic Witchcraft, and Religion (3)
History (6) - History of US Reconstruction (3), Western Civilization (3)
English (3) - Composition and Reading (3)
Political Science (3) - American Politics (3)
Humanities (3) - Introduction to Humanities (3)
Administration of Justice (3) - Introduction to Administration of Justice (3)
Community College - 39 Credits
Excelsior/ECE - Information Literacy, World Conflicts After 1900, Research Methods in Psychology, Weather and Climate, Workplace Communication with Computers, Labor Relations, Abnormal Psychology, Social Psychology
CLEP - Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Educational Psychology
DSST - Ethics of America, Principals of Supervision, Health and Human Development, Human Resources Management, The Civil War and Reconstruction, Substance Abuse, Environmental Science, History of the Soviet Union
Study.Com - Psychology 312: History and Systems of Psychology, Communications 102: Interpersonal Communications, Psychology 315: Psychology of Motivation, English 105: English Composition II, History 108: History of the Vietnam War, Statistics 101: Principles of Statistics
Do you have a specific degree/major in mind?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
With only 36 credits they could easily go in any degree plan.  What degree do you want?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

And I'm guessing EC will not tell you how to test out of a degree. You'll have to figure that out yourself (or with some help from people on here). As a matter of fact, I don't think people normally enroll at EC before they're ready to take the capstone and finish because they have per-term fees (at least as far as I can tell, but I could be wrong). Why pay to enroll when you're going to test out of a degree?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
To all,

I want to get a BS in Psychology. I enrolled early because I wanted to have an academic plan that I know would be okayed by the university. I I'm not paying any enrollment fees or semester fees because I'll be taking more than 12 units with them this academic year (through UExcel Exams.) Thank you for your help.

GG
Excelsior/ECE - Information Literacy, World Conflicts After 1900, Research Methods in Psychology, Weather and Climate, Workplace Communication with Computers, Labor Relations, Abnormal Psychology, Social Psychology
CLEP - Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Educational Psychology
DSST - Ethics of America, Principals of Supervision, Health and Human Development, Human Resources Management, The Civil War and Reconstruction, Substance Abuse, Environmental Science, History of the Soviet Union
Study.Com - Psychology 312: History and Systems of Psychology, Communications 102: Interpersonal Communications, Psychology 315: Psychology of Motivation, English 105: English Composition II, History 108: History of the Vietnam War, Statistics 101: Principles of Statistics
(10-07-2018, 01:48 AM)GonnaGraduate Wrote: To all,

I want to get a BS in Psychology.  I enrolled early because I wanted to have an academic plan that I know would be okayed by the university.  I I'm not paying any enrollment fees or semester fees because I'll be taking more than 12 units with them this academic year (through UExcel Exams.) Thank you for your help.

GG

You might want to confirm that UExcel exams are counted in the 12 units required to avoid avoid the enrollment fees.  I don't believe they were when I went there.  Only actual Excelsior courses counted. 

As for if they will tell you how to test out, it is unlikely they will give you a plan for testing out.  You will need to have a plan and get the courses/exams approved.  They will offer some suggestions for testing out of some specific courses if you question them enough about it.  They will automatically approve courses from Excelsior that fit the remaining requirements first.  At least that was my experience.

Good luck!
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

(10-08-2018, 08:50 AM)Kima Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 01:48 AM)GonnaGraduate Wrote: To all,

I want to get a BS in Psychology.  I enrolled early because I wanted to have an academic plan that I know would be okayed by the university.  I I'm not paying any enrollment fees or semester fees because I'll be taking more than 12 units with them this academic year (through UExcel Exams.) Thank you for your help.

GG

You might want to confirm that UExcel exams are counted in the 12 units required to avoid avoid the enrollment fees.  I don't believe they were when I went there.  Only actual Excelsior courses counted. 

As for if they will tell you how to test out, it is unlikely they will give you a plan for testing out.  You will need to have a plan and get the courses/exams approved.  They will offer some suggestions for testing out of some specific courses if you question them enough about it.  They will automatically approve courses from Excelsior that fit the remaining requirements first.  At least that was my experience.

Good luck!

Thank you!!  Okay I will work with you all to come up with a plan. 

I was told that UExcel, and other testing out options would count by the admissions officer and I think I have that somewhere in writing.  I called asking which one to choose (Excelsior or Multi Course -Multi course being where you pay for enrollment) and I was told that the UExcel and other testing options would count towards those credits needed.  That only people coming in with less than 12 credits before they graduated should choose that option.  Was I lied to?  I haven't enrolled in any classes yet and I can change that option if necessary (I'm hoping.)  I can't get a hold of anyone today because of the holiday.  

Either way I'm gonna kick getting this Bachelors in the butt.

GG
[-] The following 2 users Like GonnaGraduate's post:
  • Life Long Learning, Muldoon
Those anthropology courses look interesting where did you take those if you dont mind me asking.

Edited: because I swear I can spell.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(10-09-2018, 12:38 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: Those anthropology courses look interesting where did you take those if you dont mind me asking.

Modesto Junior College.  The Professor is now the VP of Student Services and doesn't teach it anymore.  All of his classes were very fun and interesting.  

GG
(10-09-2018, 07:15 AM)GonnaGraduate Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 12:38 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: Those anthropology courses look interesting where did you take those if you dont mind me asking.

Modesto Junior College.  The Professor is now the VP of Student Services and doesn't teach it anymore.  All of his classes were very fun and interesting.  

GG
Thanks for responding. I've never seen those before and I'd would take them just because lol

In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Payment Plan Robinred2404 3 305 03-25-2024, 09:50 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 528 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 995 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,726 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,732 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,398 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,365 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,139 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Plan for EU BSBA memyselfni 6 1,142 05-16-2023, 07:37 AM
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,821 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this