Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Associates and Transfer Question
Newbie here, I apologize if this has been asked before, but I was unable to find an answer by searching the forum or Excelsior's website. Is there a definitive maximum number of CLEP and other ACE sourced credits (Sophia, Study, etc.) that Excelsior will accept towards an Associates? I realize their policy could change at any moment as COSC did as of July 1, but just trying to see where EC stands now.  TIA  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes twinroses's post:
  • samiam
On their site, it says that you can transfer in up to 53. So you have to take 7 with them. This makes a bachelor's degree and an associate's degree roughly the same price - at least as far as university fees go.

Unless you need a specific associate's degree for job reasons, it's usually better to either skip it entirely and go straight to a bachelor's or to go for the Pierpont BOG AAS. If you lack the 12 RA credits to do this, you can pick up some on the 18th via ASU's Earned Admissions program. $99 total for 3 or 4 credits.
(07-28-2020, 04:13 AM)rachel83az Wrote: On their site, it says that you can transfer in up to 53. So you have to take 7 with them. This makes a bachelor's degree and an associate's degree roughly the same price - at least as far as university fees go.

Unless you need a specific associate's degree for job reasons, it's usually better to either skip it entirely and go straight to a bachelor's or to go for the Pierpont BOG AAS. If you lack the 12 RA credits to do this, you can pick up some on the 18th via ASU's Earned Admissions program. $99 total for 3 or 4 credits.

Thanks very much.  After hunting some more last night, I found the same 53 credits info on their site.  We're considering EC for my homeschooled high schoolers who don't know what they want to major in or where they want to go for their 4 year degree, so we thought a General Studies Associates would be a good start, but I see what you mean about the cost being close to a Bachelors as a result of EC's fees.
If you're just looking for a generic associate's as a placeholder until they can decide what they actually want, the (mostly) free Pierpont BOG AAS sounds like it could be a good route for you. 

If your kids don't want to/aren't able to jump on the ASU deal right now, there are community colleges that have credits for around the same price as a Sophia course would be normally. Or ASU EA is only about $400 for 3-4 credits, once the deal is over.  

With 4 ASU EA $99 classes, the total cost of a Pierpont BOG AAS should be less than a thousand dollars ($99x4 + $480 at Pierpont for a 1-credit course) if you want transcripts with the degree.
(07-28-2020, 09:03 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you're just looking for a generic associate's as a placeholder until they can decide what they actually want, the (mostly) free Pierpont BOG AAS sounds like it could be a good route for you. 

If your kids don't want to/aren't able to jump on the ASU deal right now, there are community colleges that have credits for around the same price as a Sophia course would be normally. Or ASU EA is only about $400 for 3-4 credits, once the deal is over.  

With 4 ASU EA $99 classes, the total cost of a Pierpont BOG AAS should be less than a thousand dollars ($99x4 + $480 at Pierpont for a 1-credit course) if you want transcripts with the degree.

Thanks so much, this is extremely helpful.  We're in the info gathering stage now (only a few CLEPs and Sophia classes under their belts), so I appreciate your insight.  I will absolutely look into what you've suggested.

(07-28-2020, 09:06 AM)twinroses Wrote:
(07-28-2020, 09:03 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you're just looking for a generic associate's as a placeholder until they can decide what they actually want, the (mostly) free Pierpont BOG AAS sounds like it could be a good route for you. 

Just quickly looked at Pierpont.  Unless I'm misunderstanding, it looks you nee to be a high school graduate or it's been 2 years after when you would have graduated.  So that won't work for my kids who are hoping to get their associates prior to graduating high school. But hopefully I'm misunderstanding the guidelines.

Thanks so much, this is extremely helpful.  We're in the info gathering stage now (only a few CLEPs and Sophia classes under their belts), so I appreciate your insight.  I will absolutely look into what you've suggested.

Just quickly looked at Pierpont.  Unless I'm misunderstanding, it looks you nee to be a high school graduate or it's been 2 years after when you would have graduated.  So that won't work for my kids who are hoping to get their associates prior to graduating high school. But hopefully I'm misunderstanding the guidelines.

It's rare to find a university or college who will allow you to enroll without a high school diploma or GED. Most who do this take their courses through Sophia, SDC, and SL then take the last handful of credits from EC, TESU, or COSC.
(07-28-2020, 10:44 AM)ss20ts Wrote:

It's rare to find a university or college who will allow you to enroll without a high school diploma or GED. Most who do this take their courses through Sophia, SDC, and SL then take the last handful of credits from EC, TESU, or COSC.

Thank you Smile
I was kind of presuming that they'd get their associate's more or less concurrent with graduation. It will take them some time to accumulate the 60 credits needed for an associate's and if they're 16 or 17 right now then they should have all the credits for both graduating HS and getting the degree.

It depends on how it works in your state but, basically, they graduate from your homeschool curriculum in June of 2021 (for instance); they have 60 college credits under their belt. They then turn around and enroll at Pierpont, getting their degree more or less immediately. So they will have earned the degree prior to graduation but they will not have been awarded it.
Pierpont requires that you've graduated from high school 2 years prior to getting the degree, so not a great option for homeschoolers (many of whom are trying to graduate HS and get their AA at the same time).

EC makes you do a capstone for associates degrees, so that is a hard NO for me. Their bachelor's and associates are exactly the same price - so a good price for a bachelor's, but not for an associates. If you end up going back for your bachelor's degree there, you have to take a second capstone.

Your best bet is to get some RA credits and then go to COSC. Otherwise, I'd go to your local CC instead.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • twinroses
(08-01-2020, 10:13 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Pierpont requires that you've graduated from high school 2 years prior to getting the degree, so not a great option for homeschoolers (many of whom are trying to graduate HS and get their AA at the same time).

EC makes you do a capstone for associates degrees, so that is a hard NO for me.  Their bachelor's and associates are exactly the same price - so a good price for a bachelor's, but not for an associates.  If you end up going back for your bachelor's degree there, you have to take a second capstone.

Your best bet is to get some RA credits and then go to COSC.  Otherwise, I'd go to your local CC instead.

Many thanks!  After the past week of researching, looks like my kids will be going through COSC.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 528 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Transfer 113 to BS in Business (General Business Concentration) mcvjones 3 342 03-15-2024, 03:15 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Thumbs Down Transfer Evaluation Woes TaraD2020 8 848 02-24-2024, 08:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 998 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,727 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,760 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,398 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,368 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,139 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,837 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this