Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior BS Liberal Arts degree question
I am currently doing free Sophia courses. 

So far, I still need:
18 "Applied Professional Electives"
15 "Upper Level Arts and Science Electives"
9 "Arts and Sciences Electives"

Which free courses on Sophia would satisfy these categories? 

Thank you!
for Excelsior and sophia, here is link to transfer guide https://excelsior.sophia.org/
None of sophia courses are upper level. bummer.
arts electives should be in the "humanities" listing
science: in math and science (of course)
and some of them are listed as professional electives, but I'm giving an incomplete answer about that.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

staxchips1, you need to work on courses you haven't taken yet, so if you've taken something with a very similar name to what Sophia.org is offering, skip it. Otherwise, all the courses including the 3 foundations Eng, College Algebra, Stats courses will transfer to Excelsior.

18 "Applied Professional Electives" - It's actually "Applied AND Arts & Sciences", so it can be anything here including business.
15 "Upper Level Arts and Science Electives" - Your best bet is the Study.com courses, nothing at Sophia.org is Upper Level
9 "Arts and Sciences Electives" - Any Gen Ed - arts & science courses you haven't taken yet, see the link above.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ISKBizz15
(04-11-2020, 07:37 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: staxchips1, you need to work on courses you haven't taken yet, so if you've taken something with a very similar name to what Sophia.org is offering, skip it.  Otherwise, all the courses including the 3 foundations Eng, College Algebra, Stats courses will transfer to Excelsior.

18 "Applied Professional Electives" - It's actually "Applied AND Arts & Sciences", so it can be anything here including business.
15 "Upper Level Arts and Science Electives" - Your best bet is the Study.com courses, nothing at Sophia.org is Upper Level
9 "Arts and Sciences Electives" - Any Gen Ed - arts & science courses you haven't taken yet, see the link above.
EC has stopped taking Foundations of Algebra, if they ever took it to begin with.

In my latest evaluation it was rejected. So now I have to suffer through College Algebra. Sad
Completed:
Pierpont Community & Technical College | BOG A.A.S. | AOE: Communication [Graduated 12/08/23]
111 college credits as of January 2024 [40 credits completed @ 4-yr college; 71 credits from CLEP, Coopersmith, InstantCert, Lawshelf, Sophia, & TEEX]

In progress: 
UMPI Bachelor of Liberal Studies [Management minor]
Sophia: Human Biology Lab, French I & Business Communication

[-] The following 1 user Likes Michelle779's post:
  • TwinMom
(06-24-2020, 12:06 PM)Michelle779 Wrote: EC has stopped taking Foundations of Algebra, if they ever took it to begin with.

In my latest evaluation it was rejected. So now I have to suffer through College Algebra. Sad

If you took Sophia's Foundations of Algebra, you should have a relatively easy time with Sophia's algebra. They're pretty similar and they go over a lot of the same things, except now it's stuff like 1 + X = 3 instead of 1 + 2 = 3. It's not a great course if you're intending to move on to higher math later, but when all you need is algebra then it works quite well.
(06-24-2020, 12:20 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 12:06 PM)Michelle779 Wrote: EC has stopped taking Foundations of Algebra, if they ever took it to begin with.

If you took Sophia's Foundations of Algebra, you should have a relatively easy time with Sophia's algebra. They're pretty similar and they go over a lot of the same things, except now it's stuff like 1 + X = 3 instead of  1 + 2 = 3. It's not a great course if you're intending to move on to higher math later, but when all you need is algebra then it works quite well.

I barely got through the Foundations course.

I'm accessing a lot of online tutorials to help me understand it a bit better. Math is not my strong suit.
Completed:
Pierpont Community & Technical College | BOG A.A.S. | AOE: Communication [Graduated 12/08/23]
111 college credits as of January 2024 [40 credits completed @ 4-yr college; 71 credits from CLEP, Coopersmith, InstantCert, Lawshelf, Sophia, & TEEX]

In progress: 
UMPI Bachelor of Liberal Studies [Management minor]
Sophia: Human Biology Lab, French I & Business Communication

If you took Sophia's Foundations of Algebra, you should have a relatively easy time with Sophia's algebra. They're pretty similar and they go over a lot of the same things, except now it's stuff like 1 + X = 3 instead of  1 + 2 = 3. It's not a great course if you're intending to move on to higher math later, but when all you need is algebra then it works quite well.

Agree 100%.  I have always been terrible at math and wound up in the degree program I'm in because they didn't have a math requirement, just a math/humanities requirement which I was able to satisfy with Sophia courses.

But when the free promo started, I ended up taking both Foundations of College Algebra and College Algebra, because why not?  In any case, Rachel's comments about those two courses are right on the money.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ctcarl's post:
  • rachel83az
Does anyone know if you can take the Statistics class and have it cover the math component for Excelsior? Looking at both the 2 and 3 credit statistics class.
(06-24-2020, 02:53 PM)ctcarl Wrote:

Agree 100%.  I have always been terrible at math and wound up in the degree program I'm in because they didn't have a math requirement, just a math/humanities requirement which I was able to satisfy with Sophia courses.

But when the free promo started, I ended up taking both Foundations of College Algebra and College Algebra, because why not?  In any case, Rachel's comments about those two courses are right on the money.
I agree about the two Sophia algebra courses. They seem to be similar in difficulty.
MTAW Certified Municipal Treasurer - Wisconsin 
IAAP Certified Administrative Professional
Administrative Professional Associate Degree - Madison College

Next up: Bachelor's Degree 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 415 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Degree Planning Advice For Research (Upper Level) Credit Dnightowl 4 514 01-30-2024, 10:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 941 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,591 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  What are Arts & Science Electives EHC2110 4 950 11-10-2023, 12:29 PM
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,652 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,320 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Need to know what UL credits will work for Liberal Arts degree AnyName 20 3,173 06-25-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,338 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,079 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina