Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior BSLA Plan help!

Hello everyone! Here is what I have received from Excelsior as far as an Unofficial evaluation goes as to how to credits fall into a BSLA degree. I cannot figure out Excelsior's catalog on how the Depth Requirements work on what more is needed. 

I am taking College Algebra (3cr), and both English 101/102 (6 cr total) from Sophia this summer. 

Based on the attached jpeg, do I need any more LL credits? I didn't think I did (except for Math, 2 Englishes, Info Literacy, and Cornerstone (I heard that can be switched to be an UL course. Is this true?). But then after looking at the attached sheet from them it looks like they say I need an additional 12.66??

TRANSFERED (all Lower Level):

SOPHIA LEARNING, LLC

INTRODUCTION TO ETHICS PHILOSOPHY 3.0 
INTRODUCTION TO SOCIOLOGY 3.0 
VISUAL COMMUNICATIONS 3.0
APPROACHES TO STUDYING RELIGIONS 3.0 
US HISTORY I 3.0 
ART HISTORY II 3.0 
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE 3.0
ANCIENT GREEK PHILOSOPHERS PHILOSOPHY 3.0 
INTRODUCTION TO PSYCHOLOGY 3.0 
ART HISTORY I 3.0 
INTRODUCTION TO BUSINESS 3.0

FULL SAIL UNIVERSITY

INTRODUCTION TO THE MEDIA ARTS 4.0
BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE 2.67
MEDIA & SOCIETY 4.07
SCREENPLAYS 4.27
FILM HISTORY 2.13
LIGHTING FOR VIDEO AND FILM 3.47
SET DESIGN 2.53
PRE-PRODUCTION CASTING 1.07
BUSINESS COMMUNICATIONS 3.2
SPECIAL EFFECTS 2.93

ORAL ROBERTS UNIVERSITY
LTHE*103 CHARISMATIC LIFE & HEALING MIN 3.0
HPE*001 HEALTH FITNESS I 1.0
H COM*215 INTRODUCTION TO THEATRE 3.0
COM*205 FUNDAMENTALS OF ACTING 3.0
NS BIO*101 PRINCIPLES OF BIOLOGY LECTURE 3.0
BIO*101 PRINCIPLES OF BIOLOGY LAB 1.0 

Attached Files
.jpeg   screengrabBSLA.jpeg (Size: 177.06 KB / Downloads: 38)
Me: Earned BSLA at Excelsior November 2021!

My son Tor (15 yrs): 
CLEPS passed: US Hist 1, A&I Lit, College Composition, Intro to Sociology, US Hist 2, Western Civ 1
College Courses taken: Astronomy, Intro to Programming, Latin 1,  Federal GOVT
ACE passed via Sophia: Human Biology, College Algebra, Intro to Statistics, Religion, Visual Communications, Intro to Relational Databases, Intro to Business, 
Currently Working on: Calc 1, TX GOVT
I don't know Excelsior is so confusing. This is all I know.

But definitely does look like you need math for sure. Do Sophia for math but if they don't take Sophia then you can do CSM or ALEKS.

I believe the 3 credit capstone, 3 credit cornerstone, and 1 credit info lit all have to be done at EC so that leaves 7 credits at EC. So once you do your English I and II math you shouldn't need to transfer in any more LL.

Then all you should need UL and I think the capstone counts towards the 30UL you just need to transfer in 27 credits or 9 courses. So you are not too far away from your goal.

I'm not an EC student so someone correct me if I'm wrong.
(05-12-2020, 06:48 PM)natshar Wrote: I don't know Excelsior is so confusing. This is all I know.

But definitely does look like you need math for sure. Do Sophia for math but if they don't take Sophia then you can do CSM or ALEKS.

I believe the 3 credit capstone, 3 credit cornerstone, and 1 credit info lit all have to be done at EC so that leaves 7 credits at EC. So once you do your English I and II math you shouldn't need to transfer in any more LL.

Then all you should need UL and I think the capstone counts towards the 30UL you just need to transfer in 27 credits or 9 courses. So you are not too far away from your goal.

Yes, like I said, I am currently taking College Algebra (will be done this week), and English 101&102 from Sophia this summer. Those will count for those particular requirements luckily! But I was wondering about the other questions. Did my jpeg not attach? I can't see it.

My son Tor (15 yrs): 
CLEPS passed: US Hist 1, A&I Lit, College Composition, Intro to Sociology, US Hist 2, Western Civ 1
ACE passed via Sophia: Human Biology, College Algebra, Intro to Statistics, Religion, Visual Communications, Intro to Relational Databases, Intro to Business, 
(05-12-2020, 06:54 PM)TorsMama Wrote:
(05-12-2020, 06:48 PM)natshar Wrote: I don't know Excelsior is so confusing. This is all I know.

Yes, like I said, I am currently taking College Algebra (will be done this week), and English 101&102 from Sophia this summer. Those will count for those particular requirements luckily! But I was wondering about the other questions. Did my jpeg not attach? I can't see it.

Unless my computer isn't working. I don't see anything attatched at all.
(05-12-2020, 06:57 PM)natshar Wrote: Unless my computer isn't working. I don't see anything attatched at all.

Fixed it! It should be there.

My son Tor (15 yrs): 
(05-12-2020, 06:33 PM)TorsMama Wrote:
Hello everyone! Here is what I have received from Excelsior as far as an Unofficial evaluation goes as to how to credits fall into a BSLA degree. I cannot figure out Excelsior's catalog on how the Depth Requirements work on what more is needed. 

I am taking College Algebra (3cr), and both English 101/102 (6 cr total) from Sophia this summer. 

Based on the attached jpeg, do I need any more LL credits? I didn't think I did (except for Math, 2 Englishes, Info Literacy, and Cornerstone (I heard that can be switched to be an UL course. Is this true?). But then after looking at the attached sheet from them it looks like they say I need an additional 12.66??

SOPHIA LEARNING, LLC

US HISTORY I 3.0 
ART HISTORY II 3.0 
ART HISTORY I 3.0 

FULL SAIL UNIVERSITY

BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE 2.67
MEDIA & SOCIETY 4.07
SCREENPLAYS 4.27
FILM HISTORY 2.13
SET DESIGN 2.53
SPECIAL EFFECTS 2.93

ORAL ROBERTS UNIVERSITY

I had a lot of trouble figuring out the depth requirements for my BSLA as well.  Excelsior offers very little in the way of guidance for this area.  I was only able to find this blurb on their website, and it isn't even accurate in terms of the number of credits required, at least, if we go by the MAP you provided: https://www.excelsior.edu/article/what-i...eral-arts/

The most striking thing about your MAP is that it seems to be missing important components.  On my MAP, the asterisked legend at the bottom leads the reader's attention to the appropriate section of the chart, which clearly shows what credits remain to be earned at both the upper and lower levels towards the depth requirement.  Your MAP has the asterisked legend, but the "depth" section of the chart seems to be missing.

What I was concerned about was how specific the courses in the depth had to be.  For example, would Art History and U.S. History be counted towards one depth?   As it turns out, they weren't, as Art History came in as Humanities while U.S. History came in as Social Sciences.

I lost a lot of sleep over the depth requirements...partly because I had two...but in the end it wasn't too much trouble to complete the requirements with UL courses.
Thank you for the above informative thread!
(05-27-2020, 09:00 AM)ctcarl Wrote:
(05-12-2020, 06:33 PM)TorsMama Wrote:

SOPHIA LEARNING, LLC

US HISTORY I 3.0 
ART HISTORY II 3.0 
ART HISTORY I 3.0 

FULL SAIL UNIVERSITY

BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE 2.67
MEDIA & SOCIETY 4.07
SCREENPLAYS 4.27
FILM HISTORY 2.13
SET DESIGN 2.53
SPECIAL EFFECTS 2.93

ORAL ROBERTS UNIVERSITY

I had a lot of trouble figuring out the depth requirements for my BSLA as well.  Excelsior offers very little in the way of guidance for this area.  I was only able to find this blurb on their website, and it isn't even accurate in terms of the number of credits required, at least, if we go by the MAP you provided: https://www.excelsior.edu/article/what-i...eral-arts/

The most striking thing about your MAP is that it seems to be missing important components.  On my MAP, the asterisked legend at the bottom leads the reader's attention to the appropriate section of the chart, which clearly shows what credits remain to be earned at both the upper and lower levels towards the depth requirement.  Your MAP has the asterisked legend, but the "depth" section of the chart seems to be missing.

What I was concerned about was how specific the courses in the depth had to be.  For example, would Art History and U.S. History be counted towards one depth?   As it turns out, they weren't, as Art History came in as Humanities while U.S. History came in as Social Sciences.

I lost a lot of sleep over the depth requirements...partly because I had two...but in the end it wasn't too much trouble to complete the requirements with UL courses.
I had heard they were doing away with Depths.. maybe that is why they aren't on there? I did NOT hear that from the college itself but from someone else, that the college will be updating their catalogue to reflect that soon.

My son Tor (15 yrs): 
Looks like you took courses that were done with quarters so the credits are a bit funky. That's why it's 12.66 quarter credits are a pain to transfer to many schools.

There are 2 Cornerstone options - a LL one and UL one. Take the UL one if they allow you to. If you're going for a bachelor's degree, you're required to take the UL one which I think is called IND301. It should be on your MAP when you login.
(05-30-2020, 06:07 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Looks like you took courses that were done with quarters so the credits are a bit funky. That's why it's 12.66 quarter credits are a pain to transfer to many schools.

There are 2 Cornerstone options - a LL one and UL one. Take the UL one if they allow you to. If you're going for a bachelor's degree, you're required to take the UL one which I think is called IND301. It should be on your MAP when you login.
Yes They said I can take the UL one. I am going for a BSLA.

My son Tor (15 yrs): 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 577 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 622 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 243 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 9 372 04-07-2024, 10:32 PM
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,089 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Need some advice on my plan jobojoe285 3 217 03-29-2024, 09:16 PM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 568 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 547 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
  UMPI plan iggym32 3 280 03-20-2024, 05:52 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 480 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy