Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Business Strategy 495
People have taken and completed the class. So, they've pretty much verified it, confirmed, assured it.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"]Pixal00p[/SIZE]
--------
Excelsior College - BS in Business, General Business - May 2012
Cal State Fullerton - MS in Software Engineering - Application submitted.
[/SIZE]
EHSAN Wrote:Do you HAVE to pass the capstone exam (5%) in order to pass the class???

Thanks

I dont think you have to "Pass", but you must take it or you will not be given a grade for the class. I just took the class and thats what was printed in the syllabus.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Pending Graduation at Excelsior University BSBA!

Earned 91 credits through CLEP / DSST in 90 days. If I can do it, SO CAN YOU!
I got the older version of the book from Amazon, do you guys think that I could make it with it?
I am also wondering as a previous poster if the Capstone exam is not for extra credit anymore. I am going to take the 8 week class in November and I want to make sure I can use the old book.. I am sure the class is going to be very intense but I am targeting a B.. I don't want to over stress about it and I can't wait to start the new year with a BS as a late Christmas reward..
Smile
Just completed this class. Got an A in it but you'll need to earn it with. Here are my observations.

The course requires plenty of work out of you. On a weekly basis, the minimum required is to read a chapter, answer the weekly questions on the discussion board, take a quiz on the chapter and reply to at least 2 other students posts. This is the bare minimum you need to do every week. Additionally, you'll need to submit your case outline on week 10 and submit your final case study by the last day.

The case outline requires audio to accompany the PowerPoint presentation you'll be submitting with the outline. It's not as bad as I thought but its additional work for that week.

The readings are not that bad, there's just a constant amount of it.

I'm employed full time and took this class alongside Operations Management, an XML class and Information literacy equivalent class. In retrospect, I should have not have taken them all at once but I was making a big push to finish. I did well in all my classes so I can't say other classes suffered but I certainly was stressed every week this semester. So in that regard, it sucked.

I'd recommend taking as few classes concurrently with this one if you can. Just makes like easier. I still feel kind of weird thinking I need to post something, somewhere.

Just glad it's over. One class left and I'm done.

BTW, rent the book if you can. I got a great deal at about $26 for the semester from knetbooks. That's what I got it for at the time.
Here's the book info: Strategic Management

Get Noodletools if you can, it helped keep my postings, and assignments organized. Thanks to bkahuna for that tip.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"]Pixal00p[/SIZE]
--------
Excelsior College - BS in Business, General Business - May 2012
Cal State Fullerton - MS in Software Engineering - Application submitted.
[/SIZE]
I'd just like to add a few things about this class.

To begin with, the discussion posts were a joke. I mean, they wouldn't have been bad as a homework assignment, but they didn't really seem to spur any discussion. The questions were designed to pretty much regurgitate what you read in the book. A lot of "what's the definition of this?". At first, I put a lot of time into them, trying to come up with a creative angle, but in my section the instructor was pretty much MIA the whole class, so about halfway through I stopped putting in the same amount of effort. Didn't hurt my grade any, I only missed 1 point on the discussions the whole time and that was because I only replied to one person one week instead of two. It was really hard for me to force myself to reply to people sometimes because what they were saying was basically just out of the book. Basically, I don't think the format made any sense. Even the "case study" topic questions were written just to see if you had read the "case study" in the book. I was hoping for an upper level business strategy class that it would involve some more free thinking, but that was beyond the scope of the class, apparently.

The weekly quizzes were easy, if poorly written on occasion. 20 questions (except one week when it was only 10... weird), unlimited time. If you had the chapter notes pdf pulled up while doing them, you could quickly reference most of the answers.

The capstone test was really hard, I thought. It wasn't based on the course AT ALL. It really was a combination of all the business courses and pretty obscure at times too. If I had my accounting book out when I was taking it, I probably would have done better, as the depth of those questions threw me (and that was the first section too). I only ended up getting an 85 on it and taking up almost the full two hours. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't decided to take it when I did. I took it a week before the last week on more or less a whim... if I had spent a little bit of time preparing, I probably could have broken 90 and gotten all 5 points for the test, but oh well. I still got an A in the course.

The only part of the course that I really felt was worthwhile was the case analysis. It was actually pretty fun researching a company and writing up an analysis for it. The rest of the class seemed like a poorly designed review of other business courses and the text was pretty awfully written as well. For the only class I ever took at Excelsior, it didn't exactly leaving me wanting to take more classes with them. Some of my classmates seemed to feel the same way as well, with one women who had taken more courses at Excelsior and other classes elsewhere saying it was the worst class she'd ever taken.

Rumor is that they're changing the format soon, which is good.
~Banta

Graduated 2/17/11: BS in Business, Concentration: General Business from Excelsior College

EXAMS/COURSES TAKEN: UB - Principles of Comm - C | UB - US History II - C | AS - Freshman Comp - C | CLEP Humanities - 70 | CLEP College Math - 66 | CLEP Bio - 70 | CLEP Psych - 74 | CLEP American Gov - 68 | CLEP Social Sciences - 73 | CLEP Microeconomics - 72 | CLEP Macroeconomics - 74 | CLEP Management - 72 | DSST Supervision - 457 | DSST HRM - 70 | DSST OB - 75 | ALEKS College Algebra - 78% | ALEKS Intro to Statistics - 71% | CSU Pueblo 311 MGMT - A | SL Accounting I - A | SL Accounting II - A | DSST Finance - 458 | DSST M&B - 63 | CLEP Intro Business Law - 71 | DSST Business Law II - 79 | CLEP Info Systems - 73 | DSST MIS - 481 | DSST Business Ethics - 458 | DSST Intro to Business - 461 | DSST Environment - 70 | CLEP Marketing - 71 | CLEP A&I - 73 | SL Sociology - 98% | SL Intro to Criminal Justice - 96% | SL Western Civ I - 92% | Excelsior BUS 495 - A

Degree plan.
This class has definitely changed and appears a good bit harder. There are no more open book quizzes except the 2 that relate to the business simulation game that you are playing.

We are broken into teams, and 28% of the total grade is based on the outcome of a business simulation computer game. Makes me very, very nervous to have whether i pass or fail based on the results of a video game. Anyone else in this class?

The new format is:

Grade Weights:

Activity/Assessment

% of final grade

Simulation
Quiz 1 (1%)
Quiz 2 (2%)
Strategic Plan (4%)
Comprehensive Report (4%)
Company Performance (28%)
Peer Evaluation (1%)
40%

Case Studies

30%

Integrated Business Portfolio

10%

Final Capstone Exam

5%

Participation

15%

Total

100%
Started 11/15/2011
GOAL: Excelsior BSBA General Business in 6 months

Comptia: A+

CLEPS: US History I, Sociology, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, Marketing, Management, Information Systems and Computer Applications, Business Law

DANTES: Civil War and Reconstruction=A, Intro to Business, Intro to Computing, Principles of Supervision, Technical Writing=A, Human Resource Management=A, Organizational Behavior=A, Money and Banking=A, Business Law II=A, Vietnam War=B, Management Info Systems, Business Ethics & Society, Astronomy=A, Environment and Humanity=A, Human Cultural Geography=A, Anthropology=A, Law Enforcement=A.

SL: Accounting I, Accounting II, English I,English II, Macroecnomics,Anatomy and Physiology, Microeconomics,Criminal Justice, Business Statistics

PF: Info Literacy=B, Principles of Finance=A

ALEKS: Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra

CSU:Operations Management=A

EC: Business Strategy=A

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,676 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,824 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,161 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,828 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,914 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Test Out Business Degree plan Bk2Skool 13 4,683 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,286 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Business Degree and Dental School Flowers12 6 2,467 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 957 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,977 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat