Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior-Can Math Degree Be Completed Completely by Testing Alone?
MaieJaie Wrote:The GRE in Mathematics is probably going to be the fastest, and most effective, manner of earning that many math credits. Another good place to look for math credit-by-exam is Ohio University. I've taken several of their exams previously, and I liked the program. The tests aren't all multiple choice like DSST of CLEP, though. However, like ECE and TECEP, you are told in advance exactly which books to study. Furthermore, the instructors are very specific on what will be covered in the exams. Details here: Ohio U Math Courses
I am interested in Ohio University for nonMath courses and I was very interested in reading about your experiences, math or no math! Could you be more detailed about what the math exams were like? some multiple choice, some full questions, ...

Have you heard anything about the nature of the courses they offer in other subject areas?

Do you think the math tests (or any tests) were hard? not so hard? average? How hard are they compared to the average CLEP, DANTES, ECE?

Hard questions, but many of us would appreciate the answers as best you can.

Thanks!!

Sidney
twosidneys Wrote:I am interested in Ohio University for nonMath courses and I was very interested in reading about your experiences, math or no math! Could you be more detailed about what the math exams were like? some multiple choice, some full questions, ...

Have you heard anything about the nature of the courses they offer in other subject areas?

Do you think the math tests (or any tests) were hard? not so hard? average? How hard are they compared to the average CLEP, DANTES, ECE?

Hard questions, but many of us would appreciate the answers as best you can.

Thanks!!

Sidney

I took Ohio U credit-by-exam courses besides just the math; I only mentioned that subject because it was the subject of the original post. In addition to math, I also took credit-by-exam courses in Business Law, English, Spanish, Geography, and History. I've also taken several of the correspondence courses offered.

After registration, Ohio U Independent and Distance Learning Office sends you a course guide. This is everything you need to know. The textbook(s) upon which the exam is based given; plus, some courses also give alternative textbooks you could study instead. There's a general overview as to what you will be expected to know, as well as details as to how the exam is structured and graded.

As far as the types of questions, it really varies from test to test. Some tests, especially lower level courses, have objective questions, with fill-in-the-blank, multiple choice, and/or matching. Most tests have short answer sections. Some tests, especially upper level courses, have essay questions. Every exam that I took that had essay questions either offered some sort of choice, or else used one of the "sample" essay topics listed in the course guide.

Here are some of the advantages of the Ohio U exams.

1. With Ohio U exams, like ECE and TECEP, you are told in advance exactly what texts to study. In contrast, CLEP, DANTES, and GRE Subject Tests are based upon general knowledge of the subject; there are almost always questions on these exams that are unfamiliar to the test-taker. In this sense, you can thoroughly prepare for the material that will be tested. Plus, you have a better awareness of when you are prepared to take the exam.
2. Ohio U exams give you a letter grade for the course, which can count toward GPA.

3. Ohio U itself is a regionally-accredited, state university, so course credits are usually going to be accepted for transfer by other schools--especially the Big Three. Even schools that may not accept CLEP or DANTES will still likely accept Ohio U courses.

4. Even if you miss an answer, the professors often give partial credit. I remember one essay, for a course that is no longer offered, in which I completely mixed up two characters in a Chinese novel. I answered the essay question by writing about the wrong character. As a result, my answer was dead wrong; it had nothing whatsoever to do with the character asked about in the essay question. However, the professor still gave me partial credit for a great essay. I think I received about sixty percent of the points possible for that essay question. With another essay question and the rest of the sections on the test, I still earned a B+ in the course.

5. The professors send specific feedback about the exam with the final grade. They tell you what your strengths and weaknesses are, which questions you missed and why, and which questions you did very well on. This is very helpful when preparing for later exams.

There are disadvantages, though.

1. Not everybody likes essay exams, and many--but not all--of the tests do include essays. However, I didn't take any exam that was exclusively essay, nor did I take any exam that didn't either give a choice of essay topics or else provide the essay topics in advance.

2. Ohio U exams are a little more expensive than DANTES or CLEPS, but they cost comparable to the ECE and TECEP exams.

3. The tests have to be graded, so the scores are not instantaneous. I usually received my grades in two to three weeks.

As far as whether they are easier or harder... well, I suppose that that would depend upon the person. I like feeling well-prepared when I take a test. The randomness of some of the DANTES and even CLEP questions irritates me, because there is no possible way to thoroughly study everything that will be tested. Ohio U exams are much more specific, and you're only tested on what you're told to study. I feel comfortable with my essay-writing skills, so I don't mind that aspect of the test; however, essay exams are not for everybody. I suppose that it depends upon your test-taking style as to what would be the best fit.

I hope this is helpful. If there are any questions that I can answer, I'll be happy to assist.
MaieJaie,

That was very, very helpful! Thank you. One question that comes to mind, although I could search for the answer. We are Canadian, living in Vietnam. We do go back to Canada/USA every summer. How do you test for these challenge exams e.g. is there a list of testing sites or do they approve proctors etc.?

Thank you again,

Sidney
MaieJaie,

I looked up the testing information so I have it. I'll have to see if they will accept a local test site.

Thank you again.

Sidney
twosidneys Wrote:MaieJaie,

That was very, very helpful! Thank you. One question that comes to mind, although I could search for the answer. We are Canadian, living in Vietnam. We do go back to Canada/USA every summer. How do you test for these challenge exams e.g. is there a list of testing sites or do they approve proctors etc.?

Thank you again,

Sidney

They allow you to take them at an accredited college, as long as you get the proctor approved in advance. I don't live anywhere near Ohio. I took the exams at the testing center of a local community college.

Here's the official answer from the Ohio University website:

"If you reside near an Ohio University campus, you must take your examination at that campus. Others can arrange to have their examinations proctored at another accredited college or university or, if it is more convenient, at an accredited local high school. Ohio University reserves the right to reject a proposed examination supervisor."

Ohio University Fees and Policies for Course Credit by Examination

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,159 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,823 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,623 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,753 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,946 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,939 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,305 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero