Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Capstone
Hello DegreeForum members

Thanks to all your efforts and posts of your experience with the Big three which helps us Perspective students a lot

I would like to post a question to understand more about Excelsior Capstone BUS 495 OR BUS 490 towards Business Degrees

This course is a requirement to complete the degree. When i've read the course syllabus and details, they were quite detailed but some points haven't been elaborated further. I've looked in the forum but couldn't find any

For instance, there is no explanation on the quizes and assignments requirements in quantitative terms. So how long is each chapter quiz, how does it count towards the final grade?
And for assignments or case study evaluations, how many are they per capstone and how many pages or words should they constitute of? What is the Final grade proportion do they contribute to?

Similarly other questions came to my mind like
  • What about absenteeism, how is it evaluated for online study?
  • How about Pace, if the course is 8 weeks, do i have to adhere to a pace? What if i am done in 5 weeks? can i submit my requirements?
  • How long does it take to evaluate a Capstone course after all work is submitted?
  • Am i asked at sometimes to re-submit work?
  • I was told by an Excelsior advisor i can start the course only after having most of my courses done, he said 90, i don't recall he meant 90 credits or 90% of the total degree requirement, does anyone have a clue?
  • Is the capstone tough to pass

Thank you all looking forward to know more about the Capstone
Hi Yaser,
I am not familiar with Excelsior but there are many forum members who have attended Excelsior college or are still attending. Hold on, someone will answer your questions soon. The only questions I will try to answer are:
Quote:What about absenteeism, how is it evaluated for online study?
How about Pace, if the course is 8 weeks, do i have to adhere to a pace? What if i am done in 5 weeks? can i submit my requirements?

How an institution (whether online or brick and mortar) treats absenteeism or how soon you can finish your degree depends on individual college policies. Some online colleges may give you a W (withdraw?) grade or fail you for not showing up, others may allow you to submit work after you write to them explaining why... When it comes to pace, this also depends on the institution. Some 8, 16 week courses are self-paced and others are not. Even at that, some non-self paced allow you to tun assignments eve when they are not due but you may have to hold on until class/course is over before they can record a final grade for that class for you.
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
Absenteeism is avoided by 'clocking in' at least once a week. Complete an assignment, turn in a paper, participate in a discussion, answer a question on the open boards...like that. You are not absent by doing something visible within the 168 hours of the week. Easy?
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Humanities from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
You have to be within 15 credits of finishing, have completed Information Literacy, have your advisor's approval, and be approved for the Capstone you choose. You can't be done early, just follow the flow and do the very best you can and it will be easy enough. The syllabus you get at the beginning will be your bible and the directives of your instructor as well.
yaserhu Wrote:Hello DegreeForum members

Thanks to all your efforts and posts of your experience with the Big three which helps us Perspective students a lot

I would like to post a question to understand more about Excelsior Capstone BUS 495 OR BUS 490 towards Business Degrees

This course is a requirement to complete the degree. When i've read the course syllabus and details, they were quite detailed but some points haven't been elaborated further. I've looked in the forum but couldn't find any

For instance, there is no explanation on the quizes and assignments requirements in quantitative terms. So how long is each chapter quiz, how does it count towards the final grade?
And for assignments or case study evaluations, how many are they per capstone and how many pages or words should they constitute of? What is the Final grade proportion do they contribute to?

Similarly other questions came to my mind like
  • What about absenteeism, how is it evaluated for online study?
  • How about Pace, if the course is 8 weeks, do i have to adhere to a pace? What if i am done in 5 weeks? can i submit my requirements?
  • How long does it take to evaluate a Capstone course after all work is submitted?
  • Am i asked at sometimes to re-submit work?
  • I was told by an Excelsior advisor i can start the course only after having most of my courses done, he said 90, i don't recall he meant 90 credits or 90% of the total degree requirement, does anyone have a clue?
  • Is the capstone tough to pass

Thank you all looking forward to know more about the Capstone
I have recently completed my Technology Capstone from EC (Tech 495)

What about absenteeism, how is it evaluated for online study?
For technology capstone, I had to participate in weekly discussion. If you are able to make one or two posts per week, you will get decent grade for the discussion.
How about Pace, if the course is 8 weeks, do i have to adhere to a pace? What if i am done in 5 weeks? can i submit my requirements?
The duration of my course was 15 weeks. As I had visa related concerns, I requested my instructor if I can compete the course in 3-4 weeks. After confirming with the college, my instructor allowed me submit the assignments early. I completed the course in 4 weeks. I missed some points for the weekly discussion, still i managed to get Grade A for the capstone course.
How long does it take to evaluate a Capstone course after all work is submitted?
Each assignments will be evaluated within two days after the submission. It may take a week to evaluate the final report.
Am i asked at sometimes to re-submit work?
Yes, for some of my assignments my instructor provided feedback. I re-submitted my work for getting better grade.
I was told by an Excelsior advisor i can start the course only after having most of my courses done, he said 90, i don't recall he meant 90 credits or 90% of the total degree requirement, does anyone have a clue?
You should complete all the Core courses and majority of arts and science components before you sign up for Capstone. You can always request your adviser to let you sign up for the capstone if you are close to complete your other courses.
Is the capstone tough to pass

thanks
BS in Computer Technologies March 2014
Excelsior College
Thanks Saharapost (Tayo) and Dewisant for your inputs Smile

BS13 Appreciate your detailed response Smile
I was initially very nervous going in, but it had less teeth than I had imagined and I got pretty good at what we were doing as well. Smile
•What about absenteeism, how is it evaluated for online study?
•How about Pace, if the course is 8 weeks, do i have to adhere to a pace? What if i am done in 5 weeks? can i submit my requirements?
•How long does it take to evaluate a Capstone course after all work is submitted?
•Am i asked at sometimes to re-submit work?
•I was told by an Excelsior advisor i can start the course only after having most of my courses done, he said 90, i don't recall he meant 90 credits or 90% of the total degree requirement, does anyone have a clue?
•Is the capstone tough to pass

I haven't done the Capstone and won't be doing it for a while, I'll be CLEPing like crazy beforehand.
however you must be "present" for at least five weeks of the eight. That means if you drop below five weeks attendance they'll automatically withdraw you. In order to attend you need to participate in two discussions per week of an eight week course or one discussion per week for a fifteen week course. The sections are locked until the realease date you won't be able to proceed faster than anyone else.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,021 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,205 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,679 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,801 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,135 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,854 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,655 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,264 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 943 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,901 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat