Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior College Math question
Has anyone taken the College Math Course from Excelsior recently? And if so, do you still have the book? I'm thinking about taking it. I'm finding that College Algebra CLEP is to advanced for me at this time. I need to work my way up to it.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
There is the ALEKS route, though it seems to be somewhat questionable at the current moment.
[SIZE="1"]CLEP exams passed:
Management, Accounting, Marketing, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

M.S. in Leadership: Business Ethics from Duquesne University [/SIZE]
Old Rusty Pipe Wrote:There is the ALEKS route, though it seems to be somewhat questionable at the current moment.
questionable? in what way?:confused:
Old Rusty Pipe Wrote:There is the ALEKS route, though it seems to be somewhat questionable at the current moment.

Believe me, I'm all for taking a different and easier route to get to the degree, but I have to take at least two classes thru EC so I wont pay the Option 2 high Enrollment fee and Grad fee.
I need 6 SH in Nat Science/Math and I was just going to CLEP out, but then I would have to pay about $700 for Enrollment and Grad fees under Option 2. I'd rather take the two classes for free using the Army Tuition Assistance and wait a little longer to get the degree. Hopefully, I can keep my 4.0 GPA by actually taking a college course.Smile

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

clep101 Wrote:I need to work my way up to it.

ALEKS would help you reach your aim exactly that way. It's on a monthly subscription basis and you can start at a basic level and work your way up to higher math levels. You don't need to use it for credit and you don't have to complete the courses to a 100% before moving on to the higher level courses unless you want to.

The only drawback I can think of is that it's time consuming, but that's not a terrible price considering that your target is to build a solid foundation.
Excelsior BSB - MIS concentration (119 credits in the bank)
clep101 Wrote:Believe me, I'm all for taking a different and easier route to get to the degree, but I have to take at least two classes thru EC so I wont pay the Option 2 high Enrollment fee and Grad fee.
I need 6 SH in Nat Science/Math and I was just going to CLEP out, but then I would have to pay about $700 for Enrollment and Grad fees under Option 2. I'd rather take the two classes for free using the Army Tuition Assistance and wait a little longer to get the degree. Hopefully, I can keep my 4.0 GPA by actually taking a college course.Smile

Well in that case:

I'd enroll with the ALEKS courses for Beginning Algebra to build up your basic math skills. Alternatively you could use a Dummies or Idiot's Guide. Either way, bumping up the fundamentals is always a good idea. Once you are at where you need to be for the beginning of the actual Excelsior course, just enroll.

Although what kind of limitations are on Army TA? Can you enroll in any courses? If yes, you may want to CLEP or ALEKS your way out of the math and take some subjects you know you will get an A in.
[SIZE="1"]CLEP exams passed:
Management, Accounting, Marketing, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

M.S. in Leadership: Business Ethics from Duquesne University [/SIZE]
Old Rusty Pipe Wrote:Although what kind of limitations are on Army TA? Can you enroll in any courses? If yes, you may want to CLEP or ALEKS your way out of the math and take some subjects you know you will get an A in.

The only limitations that I've seen is that I have to take courses towards my approved degree plan. I would CLEP or ALEKS my way out of it but the last 6 hours I need for the degree are Math and Science. So I guess I'll be taking them to avoid the fees. I'm no to worried about getting to low of a grade on these courses. I'll try to do the math at work where I'm surrounded by lots of smart people. Smile They better be smart!

CLEPs Passed
DSSTs Passed

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,392 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,814 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  GPA Question mysonx3 10 2,619 08-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,717 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Equivalency Question dexter1326 4 1,958 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Course equivalency question. jbwyo 6 1,969 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,795 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,801 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM