Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior College - The Same Education at Triple the Price
I often disagree with the people who laud the use of adjuncts because they are usually current in their fields. I like having professors who are current on the latest research. The adjuncts often don't have a lot of time for their students because they work full-time jobs.

Colorado Testicle University did have live chat sessions, but I didn't find much value in them. I did find some value in the taped lectures in an English Comp II course I eventually dropped since TESC was going to give me credit for a writing course I took at Western Insidious University. But, it seems like I'm very different from most people. While some of the lectures in my PhD program can be a little intriguing, I have no use for them. What I've discovered in a couple of courses, though, is that lectures can allow you to just completely skip reading the textbook because the exams were more based on the lectures than the readings. Unfortunately, this led to watering down of the subject matter. If they ever offer online courses, I will enroll in them in a heartbeat.

I do have to admit that I did like Pearson's My CJ Lab, but when I had to use it for a course, I was only paying $54 per credit hour.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
If one were to combine the Thinkwell videos that feature Professor Burger with the homework system of MyMathLab, it would make for a fairly complete Calculus course. This is basically what I have done. I supplement the textbook with video resources found on the web, taught by professional educators with years of experience.
Professor James A. Sellers, the one who did the algebra videos for The Great Courses, is really good. He's also quite handsome. He did a calculus series, but I haven't gotten a chance to watch it. Don't ask me how I got a bunch of these video courses, but they might be at your local library.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I have many of the Great Courses on cassette tape. I now buy them used since Teach12 doesn't sell them anymore. I also have a few on CD, but none on DVD as of yet.
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Humanities from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
Is he from the University of Florida? If so, I have the complete set of the Calculus videos. He is a bit more formal than Burger but excellent at explaining the material. I love the great courses videos.
He teaches at Penn State, and I just found out he's from my hometown!
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I have the videos from Bruce Edwards. I will have to see if I can find those from Sellers.

Thanks for the suggestion.
UptonSinclair Wrote:\

Just to be clear. This is a course design issue, not a professor issue. I understand what you are saying about a variety of experiences, but higher education has a special status that allows it to get away with a poor quality product and remain above criticism. What other product would people people pay thousands for and shrug off poor quality? I am not saying this is unique to Excelsior, but I found it much easier to tolerate publisher provided curriculum when I paid $400 for a course rather than $1440. Hopefully, my future courses will be better quality. If so, I will brag about the high quality just as I will complain about poor quality if that is the case.

I hate the publisher courses that are being jammed down our throat these days. I feel your pain.

That said, I'll play a little devil's advocate. Your CC where you took a similar course is heavily subsidised by community taxpayer dollars; Excelsior isn't funded in the same way.

Now what I wish universities would do is to charge tuition based on actual program cost. Large universities can spread the cost of an Intro course where there is 300 students to reduce cost significantly, where courses with 10 students should be a lot more. I'm sure this would bring a whole load of other problems though.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK vs US, Education Compared bjcheung77 1 151 03-18-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,721 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 196 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 307 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 620 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Country Preview: Poland - Inexpensive European Education bjcheung77 11 1,905 01-29-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 178 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP