Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Diploma RANT
auminer49r Wrote:Basket Weaver, you mentioned that the diplomas do not include your GPA unless requested.

So, I would assume that the same goes for latin honors (summa cum laude, magna cum laude, and cum laude)? Am I correct?:confused:

It's like winning 1st place in a race and being awarded a ribbon for participating.

This whole thing is beginning to make me wonder why I should even bother with a high GPA unless I need it for acceptance into Grad School.Sad

What say you?

Actually it was my transcript that didn't include the GPA. My GPA was only a 3.37, which is not good enough for honors; that's probably the reason they didn't include it on the transcript. I wanted my GPA listed because if I pursue a government job, a GPA above 3.0 will give me a pay increase of 2 positions.

Since you asked me my opinion on your situation, I'll give it.....I personally would strive to be the best, if you have the capability to get honors, then by all means, go for it. I never imagined that I would be continuing on with a master's degree (hence the name Basket Weaver), but here I am. You too, may change your mind; keeping your GPA high will keep your opportunities open. In other words, don't burn your bridges.

I did request the GPA letter and Excelsior wrote me back stating it was being sent in the mail. They didn't seem to want to answer my question about the poor quality of the diploma though.

You're almost done, hunker down, study hard, and knock out the last two tests. Neither of them is that difficult so you WILL achieve your goal and hopefully achieve honors. Good luck! Lee
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
Basket Weaver Wrote:Actually it was my transcript that didn't include the GPA. My GPA was only a 3.37, which is not good enough for honors; that's probably the reason they didn't include it on the transcript. I wanted my GPA listed because if I pursue a government job, a GPA above 3.0 will give me a pay increase of 2 positions.

Since you asked me my opinion on your situation, I'll give it.....I personally would strive to be the best, if you have the capability to get honors, then by all means, go for it. I never imagined that I would be continuing on with a master's degree (hence the name Basket Weaver), but here I am. You too, may change your mind; keeping your GPA high will keep your opportunities open. In other words, don't burn your bridges.

I did request the GPA letter and Excelsior wrote me back stating it was being sent in the mail. They didn't seem to want to answer my question about the poor quality of the diploma though.

You're almost done, hunker down, study hard, and knock out the last two tests. Neither of them is that difficult so you WILL achieve your goal and hopefully achieve honors. Good luck! Lee

Basket Weaver, I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought that you had a very high GPA and were pterbed that Excelsior didn't/wouldn't recognize you as an honor student. My bad.
I also mis-spoke when I questioned the point of trying for a high GPA. I wasn't thinking about the personal satisfaction aspect. I was just thinking about the recognition aspect.
[SIZE="4"]auminer49r[/SIZE]

Completed a B.S. in General Business
at Excelsior College (3.86 GPA)

Left to take:

NOTHING!!!

... But, I'm still sticking around...Smile
Come on now, a 3.37 isn't THAT bad.....hilarious
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
So what did your diploma say? Just Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Science Liberal Arts?

Congrats on the 3.3. That is a good gpa. Cool
Houston, Texas
B.S. - Liberal Arts, Excelsior College
Nope it just says Bachelor of Science. This diploma is actually a Master of Understatement.
Basket Weaver Wrote:Come on now, a 3.37 isn't THAT bad.....hilarious

No, That's not bad at all!! hilarious

I wonder... how do you say "Not THAT bad." in latin? Excelsior should have it printed on your diploma!!! LOL Big Grin
[SIZE="4"]auminer49r[/SIZE]

Completed a B.S. in General Business
at Excelsior College (3.86 GPA)

Left to take:

NOTHING!!!

... But, I'm still sticking around...Smile
Basket Weaver Wrote:Actually it was my transcript that didn't include the GPA. My GPA was only a 3.37, which is not good enough for honors; that's probably the reason they didn't include it on the transcript. I wanted my GPA listed because if I pursue a government job, a GPA above 3.0 will give me a pay increase of 2 positions.

hey you should of gotten the honors..... i dont see why a 3.37 gpa wouldnt get into the honors ....

i wonder what th thomas edison state or oak college degreee look like ?

and do they have an honors program?
[SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

CLEP

Intro to Psychology- 50
Natural Sciences - 53
Western Civilization II- 57
Humanities - 61
History of US I - 59
Social Sciences & History - 54
Western Civilization I - 67
Principles of Mgmt- 53
Intro to Sociology -64

DANTES

Rise and Fall of Soviet Union - 54
Intro to Middle East- 56
Intro to World Religions- 74
Intro to Computing - 53
Principles of Supervision- 51
Mgmt Info Sys- 53
Intro to Buisness- 59
American Ethics-51
Katterina Wrote:Aw, I'd heard about how tacky they looked, but I had hoped it was exaggerated. Do they still look like this?

That sticker is awful! I wonder if I can find a diploma frame that comes with frosted glass? Big Grin

PS: Is Liberal Studies listed as your major on your diploma, or does it only read "Bachelor of Science?"

THAT is what my diploma is going to look like???? :confused: :mad: :eek:

That is pathetic. It looks like Excelsior picked them up from the Dollar Store. Where is the fancy script that appears on every other diploma in the country? My high school diploma looks ten times better than that.
[COLOR="Blue"]Excelsior College
102 credits complete
20 UL Credits to go (7 tests)
BS Liberal Studies
Area of Focus:Computer Information Science
[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Next test:
Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (August 6th)[/COLOR]

You could take 25 DSST tests or 27 CLEP tests for the price of 1 UoP class.
LOL We truly are all different. It looks okay to me. Because of what it stands for, I'm just going to be delighted to have it. I'll be the first of my immediate family. At least I think I'll be first. I'm racing with my son! hilarious
Kate
BS Psychology
[SIZE="3"]
Katterina Wrote:Do they still look like this?
[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]Something to think about......In today's world of massive identity thieves I would STRONGLY SUGGEST that you DELETE and/or DISABLE the link to the aforementioned diploma image. Unless of course you want the diploma to be available for WWW access for all the world to see, copy, print, and use?[/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,830 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,170 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,924 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,293 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 964 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,263 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Diploma at Commencement? KAnn 6 1,921 07-09-2018, 05:15 PM
Last Post: KAnn
Thumbs Up Finished My Bachelors, Received My Diploma! keepsingin 8 2,189 07-02-2018, 10:21 PM
Last Post: alleycat
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,775 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,219 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning