Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Graduation 2008?
Hello gang, So (assuming my teacher will submit my grades early) I will qualify for commencement. I'm debating on whether to go or not. I figure it's going to cost me a grand to go. It wouldn't but an undue financial burden on me but a thousand bucks is substantial. What's everyones take on this? Do you think it's worth it? I'm on the fence. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
The best things in life aren't things.
~Brandon
[SIZE="7"]!!!! GO !!!![/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
OMG....GO!!!!! I can't wait to go.

Why would it be $1000? Airline/hotel isn't that much.
[COLOR="Blue"]Excelsior College
102 credits complete
20 UL Credits to go (7 tests)
BS Liberal Studies
Area of Focus:Computer Information Science
[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Next test:
Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (August 6th)[/COLOR]

You could take 25 DSST tests or 27 CLEP tests for the price of 1 UoP class.
I'm looking at tickets and from CA (San Jose) it's like $300 each way. I figure when I factor in a car, hotel, & food it's going to be a grand. Maybe I'll look into flying out of San Francisco and see if it's any cheaper. If anyone has any tips or advise please let me know.
The best things in life aren't things.
~Brandon
Brandon,

If I were you, I would definitely go. I earned my Bachelors degree last year and debated about whether to go to commencement. Like you, it wouldn't have hurt me financially, but it was still a big chunk of $$$ for me to go with my husband and son, so I decided against it. Sad

Then I watched the commencement on the live webcast, and I was surprised by how much it affected me to see everyone--from all different age groups and countries-- wearing their caps and gowns and being handed their diploma onstage. At that point, I wished I had gone, considering the amount of work I had put into earning my degree. I was proud of myself for that accomplishment, but attending the ceremony would have been "the icing on the cake". So if I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to go if you are able. After all, have you ever seen anyone post "I wish I hadn't gone to commencement..."? Rolleyes

CONGRATS on completing your Bachelors degree and best of luck as you move onto your Masters degree!

JoAnne Smile
BS - General Business - June 2007
Excelsior College
I am not going and have 2 degrees coming. Here is how I see it, I do not know these people, I have never physically attended this school, and my parents are the only ones who'd want to go but they cant. the important thing is that you graduated, the ceremony you can do at home with your friends. I think that will you (and your wallet) will enjoy that just as much.
AAT, Electromechanics, Excelsior College 2007
BS, Political Science, Excelsior College 2008
MSSL, Strategic Leadership, Mountain State (currently enrolled) 2009
Kiwi Lover Wrote:Then I watched the commencement on the live webcast, and I was surprised by how much it affected me to see everyone--from all different age groups and countries-- wearing their caps and gowns and being handed their diploma onstage. At that point, I wished I had gone, considering the amount of work I had put into earning my degree. I was proud of myself for that accomplishment, but attending the ceremony would have been "the icing on the cake". So if I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to go if you are able. After all, have you ever seen anyone post "I wish I hadn't gone to commencement..."? Rolleyes

Kiwi is right. If you can afford it, go. Fortunately, for me, I live within an hour or Charter Oak, so the only expense I am going to have is gas, so I'm very lucky.

I watched the 2007 graduation web cast and felt very emotional, too. Since it's a short drive for me, I knew I'd attend.

I really think the graduation ceremony will be a great experience for you!
Charter Oak State College [COLOR="Red"]GRADUATE (I can finally say that as of 05/31/08)!!
Concentration - Psychology[/COLOR]

Tests Completed:
[COLOR="Navy"] CLEP: Introductory Sociology - 65
DSST: Drug and Alcohol Abuse - 61
Here's to Your, Health - 66
Fundamentals of Counseling - 67
Charter Oak Tests: Infant and Toddler Development
Child Developmental Psychology
Introduction to Early Childhood Education (all passed, worth 3 credits each)
Psychology GRE: 62nd percentile, 18 credits[/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU graduation dates tobyisking 19 5,367 09-07-2018, 10:00 AM
Last Post: triforce828
  TESU - Applying for Graduation dexter1326 3 1,684 09-07-2018, 08:43 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  Have the audits for September graduation (TESU) happened yet? leland.kirk 6 1,971 08-27-2018, 01:32 PM
Last Post: leland.kirk
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,077 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,820 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,157 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,908 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,277 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 956 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,255 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore