Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Information Literacy substitution?
(10-04-2019, 05:02 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 02:12 PM)dfwdegree Wrote: After being told over and over again that nothing, outside of the $530 one hour Excelsior course would fulfill the information literacy requirement, I finally received this email response...
"Hi Michael, In digging into this deeper, you are correct.  We can accept Study.com’s Library Science 10: Information Literacy.  I apologize for my misinformation.  We just had a change in policy for Information Literacy (INL).  Please forgive me.".

Now I just need to decide how important skipping the cornerstone is to me.
That's what I used also
Royisagirl, do you remember how long it took you to complete the information literacy at study.com?  Was it all multiple choice quizes/exam or  were there any written assignments?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
(10-06-2019, 01:46 PM)dfwdegree Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 02:12 PM)dfwdegree Wrote: After being told over and over again that nothing, outside of the $530 one hour Excelsior course would fulfill the information literacy requirement, I finally received this email response...
"Hi Michael, In digging into this deeper, you are correct.  We can accept Study.com’s Library Science 10: Information Literacy.  I apologize for my misinformation.  We just had a change in policy for Information Literacy (INL).  Please forgive me.".

That's what I used also
Royisagirl, do you remember how long it took you to complete the information literacy at study.com?  Was it all multiple choice quizes/exam or  were there any written assignments?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
It took maybe 2hrs. And that's with me doing it at work. I think the proctored exam was to me mostly commonsense. There were no projects just the quizzes and final exam.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(10-06-2019, 02:05 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:

That's what I used also
It took maybe 2hrs. And that's with me doing it at work. I think the proctored exam was to me mostly commonsense. There were no projects just the quizzes and final exam.

Thanks Royisagirl, that's awesome!  You also mentioned  Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace from study.com.  Did you take this as well?  If so, how did it transfer over?  Did it fulfill your business communications requirement?
(10-06-2019, 05:25 PM)dfwdegree Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 02:05 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:

That's what I used also

Thanks Royisagirl, that's awesome!  You also mentioned  Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace from study.com.  Did you take this as well?  If so, how did it transfer over?  Did it fulfill your business communications requirement?
I did do this one also. It was another one that I found easy that the final exam again seemed more like commonsense than anything. It came in as "Business" I took it because it came in as Communications at TESU.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Excelsior ssaid it will take a couple weeks to review my transcripts. Am i allowed to enroll before I review them? That will avoid needing the "cornerstone" ?
(10-17-2019, 11:39 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote: Excelsior ssaid it will take a couple weeks to review my transcripts. Am i allowed to enroll before I review them? That will avoid needing the "cornerstone" ?

They also told me it would take 2-3 weeks to complete my evaluation.  The good news is, it only took 6 days for them to receive and complete my evaluation.  I'm not sure if you can enroll before your eval is completed.  I'm sure if you call them, they can give you more clarity.
Why are people wanting to use a substitute for Information Literacy? Excelsior requires you to take 7 of the 120 credits at Excelsior and the Information LIteracy is a 1 credit course. Are people expecting to take more than two other Excelsior courses?
(10-19-2019, 11:41 AM)tjguitar85 Wrote: Why are people wanting to use a substitute for Information Literacy? Excelsior requires you to take 7 of the 120 credits at Excelsior and the Information LIteracy is a 1 credit course. Are people expecting to take more than two other Excelsior courses?
Since Excelsior will take the study.com course to fulfill the info lit requirement, it saves time and money($100 vs $530).  It also makes it possible to only take the 3 hour capstone at Excelsior, everything else can be taken from outside sources.  Starting 11/1, that will all change.
(10-19-2019, 11:52 PM)dfwdegree Wrote:
(10-19-2019, 11:41 AM)tjguitar85 Wrote: Why are people wanting to use a substitute for Information Literacy? Excelsior requires you to take 7 of the 120 credits at Excelsior and the Information LIteracy is a 1 credit course. Are people expecting to take more than two other Excelsior courses?
Since Excelsior will take the study.com course to fulfill the info lit requirement, it saves time and money($100 vs $530).  It also makes it possible to only take the 3 hour capstone at Excelsior, everything else can be taken from outside sources.  Starting 11/1, that will all change.

Are you sure it's a November 1 change date? I applied in early October and the partner page has always stated that I can transfer up to 113 credits with 120 credits being required for the degree.

TESU seems to only require the capstone, but now it's unclear who they will accept ACE courses from.
I know 11/1/2019 is the date you must enroll by to avoid taking the cornerstone.  My admissions counselor confirmed that I can transfer 117 hours, including the study.com info literacy replacement.  They don't want you to take classes elsewhere so, they aren't very forthcoming with that information.  Now, come November, that 113 very well could be accurate.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfwdegree's post:
  • Life Long Learning

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 406 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 937 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,585 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,647 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,317 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,338 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,076 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,737 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,256 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,312 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az