Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Questions
Being that they are closed due to snow I'll ask here...

1) In reviewing the materials for the Buisness degree, I see there is a requirement of "must complete a minimum of 12 credits in advanced business electives".

Where do I find more detailed information on this requirement? I've looked everywhere and can't see it.

2) Under the required business components, are the courses "business policy", "production/operations management", "princlples of management", Business law" and "financial accounting" available as exam-only credit? I see some are available as clep but not sure of the rest?

Sorry if these are bad questions but Im new.

Thanks!
There is a great document call "ways to get credit" or something like that that spells out a lot of the exams that you can take.

The 12 upper level credits are just that... Advanced classes in the area of business. There are a few DSST's that are accepted as advanced - Business Law 2, Money and Banking, MIS etc. Talk with an Excelsior counselor to make sure that your plan is solid and keep in mind that business core do not count toward the requirement. For instance the Finance DSST exam is an upper level exam but does not count toward retiring the 12. The mini loophole is ethics and organizational behavior. You can take ECEs (Excelsior College Exam) that are upper level in the area of business and do retire the require credits.

Business Policy and Operations Management are exams that are available from Thomas Edison (google TECEP) as exams. Other than those two you can complete your degree with a combination of CLEP/DSST/ECE.

One word of caution. The Principles of Accounting CLEP retires in June. The replacement only covers financial accounting. I don't know if there is an exam that will cover the managerial accounting requirement. I'd put that one close to the top of the list.

Let us know how things work out. You've come to a great place for support. Just remember to always get approval in writing from an Excelsior councilor.
Dale H.
half way...
Enrolled - BS-BGB Excelsior
Completed - 65 credits
Togo - 4 CLEP, 6 DSST, 2 ECE, 1 EC Course, 1 TECEP
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]I can't help you directly on this one, but follow Dale's advice (and all of the other Business majors here) and you will get what you need.

Welcome to the IC-Forums!![/COLOR][/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
I think what you are looking for is called"A Student Guide to Credit by Examination".However, I don't think you can access it unless you are registered.
Chartered Life Underwriter-American College 1985
Chartered Financial Consultant-American College 1986
BS Charter Oak State College 2005
BS Psychology-Summa Cum Laude-Excelsior College 2006
Chartered Advisor for Senior Living-American College 2006
That's the one!

You can create a "MyEC" account for free without enrollment. With that you can download most of the documents on the website. That way you can start taking the tests that are listed today and get a head start. I enrolled before doing that because haveing to pay extra tuition is about the only thing that will motivate me to hurry up and get 'er done...

The only thing to watch for is changing requirements. Your graduation will be based on the policies at the time of enrollment. They usually give advance warning of changes though (most recently Psychology) so you can sign up whenever you want.
Dale H.
half way...
Enrolled - BS-BGB Excelsior
Completed - 65 credits
Togo - 4 CLEP, 6 DSST, 2 ECE, 1 EC Course, 1 TECEP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 227 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Excelsior---Liberal Arts Degree midnite123 5 557 10-17-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 674 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Calling all Excelsior business students! shoron 1 524 01-23-2023, 07:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Terminated by Excelsior Due to Lack of Activity pilot 1 453 01-09-2023, 12:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 763 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,323 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
  Excelsior vs locally named University? EDUxplorer 21 2,458 10-31-2022, 09:47 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia.org Questions midnite123 37 2,758 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM
  Excelsior Professional Development Courses (Non-Credit) BBryant165 5 1,564 08-29-2022, 11:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77