Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior athletics team- Interested?
Greetings fellow students, So I was thinking... Just because Excelsior is a distance univ. doesn't mean that we should be denied other opportunities that are indicative to the whole college experience. I'm going to write a letter to EC petitioning for them to incorporate athletic opportunities to interested students. This is how it will work. There are many athletes engaged in individual sports such as running, racewalking, boxing, martial arts, power-lifting, archery, etc, etc. Why not let students participate in individual sports as a recognized "student athlete?" Obviously it would not be NCAA sanctioned and their would be no direct organized competition against other schools. In essence it would typify the Excelsior students for what they are- hard charging innovators who don't let obstacles get in their way. Students can compete in their respective sports while wearing excelsior colors. "Shoto Juku came up will an awesome mascot "The Globes." It will enhance the college experience (beyond 3 day kegers)...Wow I sure do miss those 7 years of junior college hilarious.
But seriously... It would be great advertising as well as a good recruitment tool. For those of us who never give up, it will allow us a more complete college experience- if we so choose. I would like to use your feedback to send with a letter to hopefully get this ball rolling.
Go Globe athletics!
You know already I am in!!!!!!!

Since you are a runner- Have you heard of a podcast by Steve Runner? He put together a virtual half marathon and 5k. Even received virtual goodybags. One could even donate to whatever charity they wanted. But there was nothing virtual about the actual running. THere were specific times and you picked a time convenient for you and ran your race. One could even pick a local race and use it to run the virtual half or virtual 5k. Steve Runner had listeners and listeners husbands/wives/children/friendsetc.etc. call in to cheer and support. You could listen to the podcast and hear the people cheering while out running.

After I was done I even received race results. I put in my time (on the honor system) and could see where I stood with all the people who participated globally.

I had fun and even felt a sense of camraderie knowing there were runners out there doing what i was doing.

Anyways, that's one idea Excelsior could borrow. A virtual Excelsior college race? I'm sure it could be worked out for more activities too.
When I am not studying - https://youtu.be/C-kk8xa0BLQ

MS in Public Health at SNHU in progress. Expected Grad Date - August 2017

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

NCSF Personal Trainer -2010

Done! BS in LIBERAL STUDIES From Excelsior. Conferral Date - Dec 18, 2009!

Licensed Practical Nurse - 1996

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
Penn Foster- Info Lit (passed)
April, did you say honor system? That does not compute! Is there such a thing anymore? Let's see, Eliot Spitzer, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Gov Corzine (you all know that blowhard, don't you?), the Supreme Court (most courts for that matter), basically government in general. We look at black robes and bibles and think, there, now everythings allright. Sheeez. Anyway, thanks for the assist April.
Gary Wrote:April, did you say honor system? That does not compute! Is there such a thing anymore? Let's see, Eliot Spitzer, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Gov Corzine (you all know that blowhard, don't you?), the Supreme Court (most courts for that matter), basically government in general. We look at black robes and bibles and think, there, now everythings allright. Sheeez. Anyway, thanks for the assist April.

Lol! Those people need to bone up on their ethics. Maybe they should start studying for the Dsst or Excelsior Ethics exams for a review.

Anyways, the Steve Runner virtual race was on the "honor system." It was very informal. For the "virtual" half marathon I actually ran in an official race, unfortunately all Steve's website wanted was the time i finished, not a link to show verifiable race results. Nowadays results can be provided at many races that are chip timed, as soon as the last person crosses the finish line. I think it could still work out with Excelsior. We'd just have to have the documentation or whatever proof we participated to gain the recognition as an athlete.
When I am not studying - https://youtu.be/C-kk8xa0BLQ

MS in Public Health at SNHU in progress. Expected Grad Date - August 2017

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

NCSF Personal Trainer -2010

Done! BS in LIBERAL STUDIES From Excelsior. Conferral Date - Dec 18, 2009!

Licensed Practical Nurse - 1996

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
Penn Foster- Info Lit (passed)
april004 Wrote:Lol! Those people need to bone up on their ethics. Maybe they should start studying for the Dsst or Excelsior Ethics exams for a review.

Anyways, the Steve Runner virtual race was on the "honor system." It was very informal. For the "virtual" half marathon I actually ran in an official race, unfortunately all Steve's website wanted was the time i finished, not a link to show verifiable race results. Nowadays results can be provided at many races that are chip timed, as soon as the last person crosses the finish line. I think it could still work out with Excelsior. We'd just have to have the documentation or whatever proof we participated to gain the recognition as an athlete.
April, I see that you took the Excelsior World Population exam. What was your best source for study in preparation? I will be taking that exam soon myself.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there any way I can hide threads that I am not interested in? fmsoa 4 599 01-05-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Malcolm Nance: Excelsior BA to Cable News Star to Fighting for Ukraine Jonathan Whatley 9 908 05-01-2022, 09:56 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Medical Team - Report to the Holodeck Alpha 1 424 04-18-2022, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Obituary for former Excelsior English adjunct Sparklette 0 649 07-12-2020, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Excelsior Graduate earns Master's degree. Oh yeah, she's 14 MNomadic 7 1,667 06-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Interested in International Business? burbuja0512 2 1,196 06-12-2018, 09:30 AM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Books for Sale! Excelsior CCS 120 EI2HCB 1 1,336 10-30-2013, 02:48 PM
Last Post: EI2HCB
  Team Assignments in Online Class? burbuja0512 12 2,874 02-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Last Post: ryoder
  HELP! Excelsior's phone is disconnected and e-mails from AOL are coming back P00057870 6 2,080 01-31-2011, 11:46 PM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  *facepalm* Excelsior says I need two more classes rickyjo 26 3,919 12-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Last Post: creative