Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior- cheapest route?
I have a few questions for you:

-why do you assume TESU won't allow you to use a Pell Grant and loans?

-not to overwhelm you with options, but have you looked into COSC?

-what kind of master's degree are you looking for? We could probably find you one that is cheaper than the $12,000 online degree at Valdosta.

Also, dfrecore's $4800 plan becomes $300 cheaper if you get in on the Modernstates program to get 3 CLEPs paid for:
-diversity-intro to sociology
-Civic engagement-american government
-info lit- analyzing and interpreting literature

Edit: just realized that dfrecore also mentioned that modernstates could save you $300.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • cookderosa
(11-25-2018, 02:51 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I have a few questions for you:

-what kind of master's degree are you looking for? We could probably find you one that is cheaper than the $12,000 online degree at Valdosta.

Also, dfrecore's $4800 plan becomes $300 cheaper if you get in on the Modernstates program to get 3 CLEPs paid for:

Edit: just realized that dfrecore also mentioned that modernstates could save you $300.

It didn't look like the plan at TESU includes enough classes taken to qualify for aid like pell grant and loans - but, I haven't gotten to work up the whole thing yet. I will absolutely apply to them on Thursday when I get paid. Smile I have 90 credits, so I'm thinking even a couple of the ones dfrecore suggested may not even be necessary. I'm looking at a few of those as possibly already being covered by credits I already have. I will definitely be applying to TESU, I would have applied to them first but I just found this forum last week and immediately applied to Excelsior because they had a BA in Biology- of course, that's not a degree that can actually be gotten online, but, that was why I initially applied to them first.

I need a masters in library science program approved by the ALA. It would be cool if someone knows of a cheaper one. I've been looking around and East Carolina is cheaper, but, only if you are in state.
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
(11-25-2018, 03:57 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: It didn't look like the plan at TESU includes enough classes taken to qualify for aid like pell grant and loans - but, I haven't gotten to work up the whole thing yet. I will absolutely apply to them on Thursday when I get paid. Smile I have 90 credits, so I'm thinking even a couple of the ones dfrecore suggested may not even be necessary. I'm looking at a few of those as possibly already being covered by credits I already have. I will definitely be applying to TESU, I would have applied to them first but I just found this forum last week and immediately applied to Excelsior because they had a BA in Biology- of course, that's not a degree that can actually be gotten online, but, that was why I initially applied to them first.

I need a masters in library science program approved by the ALA. It would be cool if someone knows of a cheaper one. I've been looking around and East Carolina is cheaper, but, only if you are in state.

The courses I suggested are specifically required at TESU, and I did not see that you took courses that they will accept for those requirements.  So for example, you're not going to get around the Civic Engagement requirement without taking American Government, Comparative Politics, or one of the other courses they list.  Same with the Info Lit Requirements, the Diversity requirements, etc.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-25-2018, 03:57 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 02:51 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I have a few questions for you:

It didn't look like the plan at TESU includes enough classes taken to qualify for aid like pell grant and loans - but, I haven't gotten to work up the whole thing yet. I will absolutely apply to them on Thursday when I get paid. Smile I have 90 credits, so I'm thinking even a couple of the ones dfrecore suggested may not even be necessary. I'm looking at a few of those as possibly already being covered by credits I already have. I will definitely be applying to TESU, I would have applied to them first but I just found this forum last week and immediately applied to Excelsior because they had a BA in Biology- of course, that's not a degree that can actually be gotten online, but, that was why I initially applied to them first.

Excelsior has a BS in Natural Science with a concentration in Biology. TESU has a BA in Biology. You can actually do the Excelsior program online, but it's not a true biology degree.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
OK, Here's another idea. If you can take classes locally for free, using your Pell grant, then do so, but with the plan of transferring them to one of the Big3 rather than spending two years earning your degree there. A variation on that theme is using your Pell for LL courses at NMJC, if you'd rather take stuff online. The tuition at NMJC is low enough that you might even have some left over (though maybe not with this small a Pell).
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Just adding a brief update for anyone who finds this, talked briefly with an advisor and the only upper level DSST's she said were available were Substance Abuse, Money and Banking, and The Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union. Sort of a pity that it's so reduced from what it was even a couple years ago. Though, I suppose Excelsior wants you taking Uexcel tests instead of DSSTs. Definitely applying to TESU as well. I think if I would have realized how few DSST's counted for upper level at Excelsior I wouldn't have applied.

My problem is that at Excelsior I have no lower level left to take, I just need upper level. It looks like at TESU I need both lower and upper, BUT lower is way easier to get than upper from the looks of it.
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
(11-26-2018, 06:24 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: Just adding a brief update for anyone who finds this, talked briefly with an advisor and the only upper level DSST's she said were available were Substance Abuse, Money and Banking, and The Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union. Sort of a pity that it's so reduced from what it was even a couple years ago. Though, I suppose Excelsior wants you taking Uexcel tests instead of DSSTs. Definitely applying to TESU as well. I think if I would have realized how few DSST's counted for upper level at Excelsior I wouldn't have applied.

My problem is that at Excelsior I have no lower level left to take, I just need upper level. It looks like at TESU I need both lower and upper, BUT lower is way easier to get than upper from the looks of it.

That's why I applied to all three of the Big 3 and took the best deal at the time.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(11-26-2018, 07:09 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(11-26-2018, 06:24 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: Just adding a brief update for anyone who finds this, talked briefly with an advisor and the only upper level DSST's she said were available were Substance Abuse, Money and Banking, and The Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union. Sort of a pity that it's so reduced from what it was even a couple years ago. Though, I suppose Excelsior wants you taking Uexcel tests instead of DSSTs. Definitely applying to TESU as well. I think if I would have realized how few DSST's counted for upper level at Excelsior I wouldn't have applied.

That's why I applied to all three of the Big 3 and took the best deal at the time.

That's what I'm going to do, just waiting for my paycheck to hit and then I'll apply to the other two. Smile
Sophia(2 credits)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jenniferinfl's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(11-26-2018, 12:14 PM)davewill Wrote: OK, Here's another idea. If you can take classes locally for free, using your Pell grant, then do so, but with the plan of transferring them to one of the Big3 rather than spending two years earning your degree there. A variation on that theme is using your Pell for LL courses at NMJC, if you'd rather take stuff online. The tuition at NMJC is low enough that you might even have some left over (though maybe not with this small a Pell).

Jenniferinfl, as a follow up to davewill's idea, are you actually in GA? if so, you might want to check out columbusstate.edu, as they offer online classes. Between that and eCore, you may find enough affordable classes to make the Pell grant worthwhile, and then you can transfer those to the school you actually want to graduate from...
Good morning, I am new on this forum and I needed some help because I am a little confuse about if I should go to Excelsior or not.  I am taking Sophia courses and I will start my UL courses with Study.com. My goal is to take a BABA in HR. Is possible someone give me some suggestions or help me with a plan? 
Thank you much!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 411 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 938 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,586 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,648 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,319 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,338 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,078 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,738 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,257 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,314 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az