Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior degree info needed
It looks like you already have 27 UL credits. I'm not sure if all 21 of the blank A&S credits need to be UL. Maybe only the capstone needs to be UL?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(02-07-2022, 09:54 AM)rachel83az Wrote: It looks like you already have 27 UL credits. I'm not sure if all 21 of the blank A&S credits need to be UL. Maybe only the capstone needs to be UL?

What I got from the degree handbook/website:

Quote:120 credits. 30 upper level (21 arts & science, 9 electives), 33 credits in Natural Science - 18 at upper level.

Maybe I read it wrong? Does the 18 UL NS courses come under the 30 UL a&s courses?
I may get my Open University courses evaluated if that helps. Not sure what is classes as upper level as we only do 3 years.
Is this for the Health Sciences degree? On page 87 of the catalog, it says "Of the 120 credits for the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences, 27 must be earned at the upper level, 15 in the Health Sciences core, 9 in the emphasis and 3 in the capstone."

I think the comma after "upper level" is supposed to be a colon or a semi-colon? I.E. you must earn 27 total UL credits. 15 must be in health sciences. 9 must be in the emphasis. 3 in the capstone.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(02-07-2022, 12:02 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Is this for the Health Sciences degree? On page 87 of the catalog, it says "Of the 120 credits for the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences, 27 must be earned at the upper level, 15 in the Health Sciences core, 9 in the emphasis and 3 in the capstone."

I think the comma after "upper level" is supposed to be a colon or a semi-colon? I.E. you must earn 27 total UL credits. 15 must be in health sciences. 9 must be in the emphasis. 3 in the capstone.

It's for NS but I have looked at HS also.

I have completed 33 credits in Natural Science - 18 at upper level then. Meaning only 12 UL credits needed, which I will complete with the capstone and the UL electives mentioned? 18 LL credits to find?
Okay, Natural Sciences is even clearer. On page 115 of the catalog, it says: "Of the 120 credits for the Bachelor of Science in Natural Sciences, a total of 30 must be earned at the upper level (21 credits in the arts and sciences and 9 in electives). As part of these credits, for the core component of this degree, a minimum of 33 credits must be earned in the field of Natural Sciences, of which 18 must be upper level."

You've definitely got more than 21 credits in arts and sciences. Plus your electives. AFAIK, you just need one more UL course and then you can fill in the rest with any courses from Sophia, Saylor, Study.com.

Wait, I forgot. Since you are transferring in so many courses, I think you can do the UL cornerstone at Excelsior and it will count towards your UL credits.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(02-07-2022, 12:45 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Okay, Natural Sciences is even clearer. On page 115 of the catalog, it says: "Of the 120 credits for the Bachelor of Science in Natural Sciences, a total of 30 must be earned at the upper level (21 credits in the arts and sciences and 9 in electives). As part of these credits, for the core component of this degree, a minimum of 33 credits must be earned in the field of Natural Sciences, of which 18 must be upper level."

You've definitely got more than 21 credits in arts and sciences. Plus your electives. AFAIK, you just need one more UL course and then you can fill in the rest with any courses from Sophia, Saylor, Study.com.

Wait, I forgot. Since you are transferring in so many courses, I think you can do the UL cornerstone at Excelsior and it will count towards your UL credits.

Somehow I read it as 33 NS credits + 21 A&S ad 9 electives. Tongue
Perfectly understandable mistake. But, no, they don't require quite that many credits! Big Grin
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Reworking my spreadsheet to have only 120 credits.
"Arts & sciences" basically means "Gen eds". Natural sciences are sciences, so yes. They count.

From https://excelsior.sophia.org/#courses
Accounting is a finance class. I don't think it counts as an art or science.
Intro to Web Dev is an IT course at Excelsior. I'm not sure if that makes it a science or not. It looks like EC counts it as UL?
Visual Communications is Communication at Excelsior.

Intro to Chem is definitely a science. Woo!
Intro to Relational Databases is another IT course. It looks like another UL course, maybe? Having taken this one before, I don't recommend it unless you have a deep passion for learning how to use Postgres databases. It takes absolutely ages to finish because you must query the sample database for almost every single question.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
new plan attached. The ones highlighted I still need to complete.

Attached Files
.pdf   excelsior.pdf (Size: 433.38 KB / Downloads: 11)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Planning Advice For Research (Upper Level) Credit Dnightowl 5 645 03-29-2024, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Dnightowl
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 544 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 1,028 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,768 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,801 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Overwhelmed with info but excited to start my BA- just a few questions hexclep 12 1,386 08-24-2023, 12:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,420 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Need to know what UL credits will work for Liberal Arts degree AnyName 20 3,307 06-25-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,380 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,164 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina