Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior needs competition
Excelsior/Regents used to offer a legit degree using a variety of educational
experiences. Excelsior now has too many ifs,ands,buts and maybes and is
frought with complexities. The prime example is the FEMA FCC/TESC
issue. Ithink it is time for competion. We need an institute that is legit and can offer a legit degree without the hassles of Excelsior. I value my time. I looked at the latest excelsior catalogue and was overwhelmed with way too much information. Alot of us need a bare bones legit degree that all. Excelsior
has become too much of a hassle
Sounds like a prescription for a diploma mill. :eek:
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Although I didn't use them, I've wondered why Excelsior changed its policy on accepting Fema through TESC's credit bank. One way to look at it is that it was exposing EC's students (customers) to a BIG 3 competitor and potiential loss of revenue. Another way to look at it would be to say that they were conscious of the fact that they were granting transfer credit from another college (TESC) that was heavy on credit evaluation, too. So maybe they saw this as a loss of credibility regarding the FEMA credits, since they were being "laundered" through two of those types of institutions instead of just one.
At any rate, I would give EC a break. They have not totally disallowed the use of FEMA credits, they have just made it slightly more difficult (and expensive) to do. Try getting all that credit for FEMA at your local STATE U.
[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="3"]Bachelor of Science - Excelsior College[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Liberal Studies[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Areas of Focus: Administrative/Management & Health Professions[/SIZE][/COLOR]
I consider Excelsior one of the most FLEXIBLE schools out there. For example, look at the credits they award for IT exams. They do not have to award anything for them.
[COLOR="Blue"]Excelsior College
102 credits complete
20 UL Credits to go (7 tests)
BS Liberal Studies
Area of Focus:Computer Information Science
[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Next test:
Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (August 6th)[/COLOR]

You could take 25 DSST tests or 27 CLEP tests for the price of 1 UoP class.
I respectfully disagree. I frankly find Excelsior's level of flexibility to be shockingly high. I think they consistently ride on the border of credibility with their liberal approach to credit accumulation and it is my impression that they only make changes when they feel they have to in order to maintain the value of their degrees.

Don't forget--Excelsior had nothing to do with FEMA. They didn't create this bizarre "take a free on-line test for one college credit" business. Why shouldn't they set up requirements for using it? Based on what I've read on this forum--the FEMA process doesn't sound at all deserving of college credit to begin with.

Excelsior's costs are shockingly low (except for their on-line classes) and I think any additional flexibility would seriously erode the value of their degrees and, ultimately, could jeopardize their accreditation. If I were them and had to decide what to do with FEMA credits, I would probably just not accept them. If I was outvoted, my next vote would be to accept them through another college as credit from that college. My guess is that they don't really even want them but couldn't figure out a clean way to disapprove of them all together.

Anyway, for my time and money, you can't beat EC!
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
I DO have respect for Excelsior. My concern is that they will make things moreand more tight till they evolve into a regular college. There is a graduate of Excelsior Michael Gates who used FEMA credits through TESC and took it to the top and won. There may be special interests involved with FCC. If so then the seeming credibility of uping standards is circumvented
by seeming special interests. It disturbs me. A TESC FEMA credit IS a legit credit. If a student wants to load his credit bag with FEMA courses it reflects on a student NOT the school. A potential employer would look on the student
more critically than the school. The subjects a student chooses doesn't reflect on the school. FCC is much more expensive (although fairly cheap). You may disagree with me, thats fine, but to accept legit credits from a more expensive school and not from another touches a raw nerve with me. Making things more difficult doesn't make a school legit as opposed to a diploma mill. I'am not looking for handout. I would rather get TESC credits and spend the money on more expensive courses.
Perhaps some one will challenge this formally. It is unfortunate
Again, I think it is a credibility issue. I also think Excelsior may be more sensitive than most when it comes to credibility of credits. You don't have to look any further than what has happened with their nursing program in the last few years. More and more states are taking a closer look at their assessment based nursing degrees and requiring graduates to take a ton of clinical hours in addition to the degree before being allowed to sit for the state boards. That is if they are allowed to sit at all.

Regarding FEMA. I have to agree with Barcotta. I am surprised that anybody grants credit for something for material that is open book and the identity of the student/tester cannot be verified first hand. With the change in policy it appears that EC is holding its nose while accepting it.

Beware of the degree that is easier and easier to get, for its worth decreases with each step.
[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="3"]Bachelor of Science - Excelsior College[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Liberal Studies[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Areas of Focus: Administrative/Management & Health Professions[/SIZE][/COLOR]
i think the reason why they do that now is to deter people from using the fema option, lets face it guys, i dont know if you really learn anything after doing those course besides that the search feature on acrobat reader is awesome and a real time saver. I am not saying that no one legitimately does them but since there are so unsecured using gross amounts of these courses may question excelsior academic integrity. I understand that they are a great resource for quick and cheap degree completion but I personally think that excelsior is a little pissed about their existence. of course that is only in my opinion.
AAT, Electromechanics, Excelsior College 2007
BS, Political Science, Excelsior College 2008
MSSL, Strategic Leadership, Mountain State (currently enrolled) 2009
Excelsior is a god send. Although there may be a few points I disagree
with standard colleges are horrifically overpriced and seem determined to weed out students. I took a year of university at a normal college. I was
dismayed by the attitude and quality of teachers. A lot of students were there because they had nothing else to do and didn't fit into the work
force. I got 15 marks marks off a chemistry midterm because I didn't label
my equipment in the right color of ink. I had a lab partner that was high all
the time. The halls were filled with tables attended by activists that were more filled with anger than knowledge of the issues they proported.
Fortunately online colleges are shielded from this fray. I take my hat off
to Excelsior for being so welcoming to other education experiences. If it
wasn't for them a lot of us wouldn't have a chance of getting a legitimate
degree. I looked at other online universities tthat advertise a lot but they are
so restrictive and expensive and not welcoming of outside courses
Quote:Excelsior needs competition
Quote:No other viable options
TESC and COSC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,826 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,166 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,919 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,288 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 958 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,261 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,774 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,218 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,386 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah
  Quick Question about Excelsior hsfamfun 5 1,855 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: radconjohn