Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Excelsior or TESC
You can't go wrong with any of them. Like NIKE said, "JUST DO IT!" Having recently graduated myself, the degree has definitely opened a lot of job opportunities for me, even in this poor economy. I actually turned down 4 jobs, never in my wildest dreams. The "Big 3" are not fool's gold, they serve their purpose. BTW my colleague is an Ivy League grad...I get a kick out of that because we do the same job.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
Do I have to enroll with Excelsior first or I can take my 12 credits of ECE before I enroll with them? The only reason I asking this because of a response I received from them. I know I have to complete 4 with them since they accept only thier WER and INL. banghead Now what am I gonna do the Freshman Comp? LL electives? I need 9 credits of easy upper level credits.
Passed:

DSSTs
Here's to Your Health-LL 3, Lifespan Dev.-LL 3,Principles of Public Speaking-LL 3

CLEPs
College Comp Modular-LL 3 01-Jul-10, Freshman Comp-LL 6, College Math-LL 6, Humanities-LL 6, Information Systems & Computer Applications-LL 3

Human Resource Mgmt A.A. (CCAF):patriot:
General Studies B.S. AMU (Currently working on)banghead
TESC had the degree program I wanted, and I thought they were a better fit for me because I transferred 84 credits from CLEP/DSST/Comm. college and took the 36 credit comprehensive tuition plan. Their customer service is in the tank, but if you are a persistant person(of course you are, you're going to an online college), you can make it through no problem.

TESC sounds better that "Excelsior college", for some reason...I don't think it matters, because no matter what you go with, no one knows either one and you have to explain it, but personal preference does matter.
[SIZE="2"]graduated
[/SIZE]
jackzack87 Wrote:TESC sounds better that "Excelsior college", for some reason...I don't think it matters, because no matter what you go with, no one knows either one and you have to explain it, but personal preference does matter.

I dunno... I mean, tme, Thomas Edison (the person the college is named after, not the college itself) will always be the liar and thief who tried to discredit Nikolai Tesla and made a habit of poaching inventions.

Hehe.. Like you said, personal preference.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
TMW2010 Wrote:I dunno... I mean, tme, Thomas Edison (the person the college is named after, not the college itself) will always be the liar and thief who tried to discredit Nikolai Tesla and made a habit of poaching inventions.

Confusedmilelol:
M.
Mom of 11

Graduated 6, still home educating 5

Credits from CC classes:
eng 1113 freshman comp 1
eng comp 2
pos 1113 american fed gov't (political sci.)
spa 1103 spanish 1
bio 2123 human ecology
his 1493 american history civil war era - present
phi 1113 intro to philosophy
soc 1113 intro to sociology
total credits 24 hours
gpa 3.12

TMW2010 Wrote:I dunno... I mean, tme, Thomas Edison (the person the college is named after, not the college itself) will always be the liar and thief who tried to discredit Nikolai Tesla and made a habit of poaching inventions.

True enough. Let's petition to change it to NTSC...

Tesla did get the bum rap, and TE should have given him the salary he promised...Tesla was a true genius...but I'm talking about the name itself vs. Excelsior college. George Washington State College or Thomas Jefferson State College would work for me too.
[SIZE="2"]graduated
[/SIZE]
jackzack87 Wrote:True enough. Let's petition to change it to NTSC...

Tesla did get the bum rap, and TE should have given him the salary he promised...Tesla was a true genius...but I'm talking about the name itself vs. Excelsior college. George Washington State College or Thomas Jefferson State College would work for me too.

Can't go wrong with the Founding Fathers' names on a school to make the name sound good... I agree with that. cheersmate
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
BurnieGirl Wrote:Do I have to enroll with Excelsior first or I can take my 12 credits of ECE before I enroll with them? The only reason I asking this because of a response I received from them. I know I have to complete 4 with them since they accept only thier WER and INL. banghead Now what am I gonna do the Freshman Comp? LL electives? I need 9 credits of easy upper level credits.

You do not have to be enrolled to take ECE (Excelsior College Exams) or Excelsior courses. The courses are a higher price for non-enrolled students. Are you really talking about taking 12 credits through EC courses to get an enrollment discount?

There are several ways to meet the WER - UExcel, ECE, Straighterline, AP test, transfer course.

Info Lit can be met through Penn Foster or another transfer course.

I'm sure we can help you find good options for the rest of your credits too, with some more details of your current credits and degree goals.

Forgot to mention: A capstone course, if required for your degree, does have to be taken through EC.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
jackzack87 Wrote:True enough. Let's petition to change it to NTSC...

Hahahaha funny story. So for about the first 6 mo. that I was looking at TESC, I was thinking "Thomas Jefferson State College." I was saying Edison, but always thinking Jefferson. I laughed for about an hour after I discovered that Big Grin
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
Alissa this is a great post (I think I've read it three times!!) I think I understand most of it and right now we're leaning towards EC for two of our sons. My one question (as of this moment, haha!) is about the FEMA credits, how and what is involved in having them "transcribed through another school" and what kind of cost are we talking? Again, this forum is amazing, thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,822 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,161 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,910 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,277 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 956 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,629 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,255 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,768 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,214 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,382 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah