Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior v. TESC
Howdy everyone,

Just recently joined IC, and am testing it out as I'm taking my first CLEP with IC tomorrow (Marketing). I've already CLEPed General Biology and College Algebra.

Also, I have earned the following credits at a local community college:
  • ENC 1101
  • Fudamentals of Speech Communication
  • Intro to Microcomputer Usage
  • Intro to Business
  • Music Appreciation
And... I have passed the AP Computer Science A test and look forward to passing AP Macroeconomics next month.... for a grand total of 33 credits, assuming that Biology is awarded 6 credits.

To get down to my question, I am interested in International Business, and I would like to earn my degree quickly, through a distance learning program such as TESC or Excelsior. However, I'm not sure which one would be better...

I believe there are a few considerations here, but please correct me if I'm wrong -
  1. Title of Degree (i.e. BSBA, or BS in Business with a Concentration, etc.)
  2. English Requirements
  3. Math Requirements
  4. Upper Credit Requirements
As far as English goes, if I went through Excelsior, I wouldn't have to have credit for English 2, but TESC requires that (for which I could take the CLEP w/ essay). Also, for math, I think Excelsior allows College Algebra to satisfy that req, while TESC requires pre-calc.

I'm not as concerned about the specific title of the degree - for example, whether it would be called a BSBA in International Business (TESC) or a BS in Global Business (Excelsior), because I plan on completing a number of internships after I complete my degree that will give balance to the distance learning component. But if you have any suggestions or concerns in this area, I would appreciate hearing them!

Lastly, upper credit requirements - I read somewhere else on this board that TESC is more lenient in granting upper-level credit for DANTES, whereas Excelsior requires their own, more expensive courses, or something like that. If someone could elaborate on that and its implications, that would be helpful too! And, of course, if there's any differences between the two colleges that I left out, feel absolutely free to bring it up for consideration.

Anyways, it's about time I stop writing and get studying for that Marketing CLEP. I'm excited about joining IC, and can't wait to go further down this road of accelerated distance learning. I'm indebted to all of you in advance who I know will prove very helpful... thank you!

Scott
Hi Scott!

I won't be much help with the business part, but I have a suggestion for your English requirement. Summer session is starting soon, and the community college summer sessions are usually only about 8 weeks long. So, you could take your ENG102 class that way. I have taken many CLEPs while simultaneously enrolled, it's no big deal.
cookderosa Wrote:I won't be much help with the business part, but I have a suggestion for your English requirement. Summer session is starting soon, and the community college summer sessions are usually only about 8 weeks long. So, you could take your ENG102 class that way. I have taken many CLEPs while simultaneously enrolled, it's no big deal.
I appreciate the suggestion... but I suppose I might as well CLEP it than take a course for eight weeks; that is, assuming it's not extraordinarily difficult. Wink

Scott
57 credits done... 63 more to go!
B.S.B.A. International Business
Thomas Edison State College

Soli Deo Gloria!
Hey, where's ShotoJuku with his "unbiased" suggestion?? I just know it's coming... Big Grin

Side Note:

Zechron: Sorry I kinda hijacked your post.... Well one thing I can tell you is that Excelsior offers Upper-Level exasm, so you wouldn't have to take the actual courses. I've also heard that Excelsior is muct more cost efficient. I'm sure others will soon elaborate on these points...

Oficially a Graduate!!Big Grin
COSC B.S. Independent/Liberal Studies (Business Admin & Healthcare Admin)

Exams Passed:
- DSST: Technical Writing 64
- DSST: Principles of Supervision 58
- CLEP: A&I Literature 74
- DSST: Intro to Business 66
- DSST: Ethics in America 63
- DSST: Intro to World Religions 67
ALL DONE!! hilarious[SIZE=4]
[/SIZE]
zechron Wrote:I appreciate the suggestion... but I suppose I might as well CLEP it than take a course for eight weeks; that is, assuming it's not extraordinarily difficult. Wink

Scott
>>

Yes of course, but only if you go to TESC. EC won't take CLEP for English. I thought you were still undecided - so - I just wanted to throw out there that if you "need" the class, it might be faster/cheaper/easier to take it as a summer session at your own community college
Ah, sorry, I guess I was ambiguous on this - I already have taken an English 1 class at a local community college, so that would satisfy the Excelsior english requirement... but if I used TESC, I would have to have credit for English 2 as well; in that case I would CLEP it.

Scott

Soli Deo Gloria!
zechron Wrote:Ah, sorry, I guess I was ambiguous on this - I already have taken an English 1 class at a local community college, so that would satisfy the Excelsior english requirement... but if I used TESC, I would have to have credit for English 2 as well; in that case I would CLEP it.

Scott
>>

Ohhhhhhh. Actually you were fine- it was me that misunderstood. I thought EC required 6 English credits too? My mistake!
loredia Wrote:Hey, where's ShotoJuku with his "unbiased" suggestion?? I just know it's coming... Big Grin

If you insist! Rolleyes

[SIZE="7"]~EXCELSIOR COLLEGE~[/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
ShotoJuku Wrote:If you insist! Rolleyes

~EXCELSIOR COLLEGE~

Hahaha....Ahh, now I feel complete. Big Grin

Oficially a Graduate!!Big Grin
COSC B.S. Independent/Liberal Studies (Business Admin & Healthcare Admin)

Exams Passed:
- DSST: Technical Writing 64
- DSST: Principles of Supervision 58
- CLEP: A&I Literature 74
- DSST: Intro to Business 66
- DSST: Ethics in America 63
- DSST: Intro to World Religions 67
ALL DONE!! hilarious[SIZE=4]
[/SIZE]
ShotoJuku Wrote:If you insist! Rolleyes

[SIZE="7"]~EXCELSIOR COLLEGE~[/SIZE]

OK... so I've just about decided to go through TESC, and now you say Excelsior! Care to explain why you recommend them instead of the Big T?

Thanks,
Scott

Soli Deo Gloria!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,824 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,161 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,914 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,286 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 957 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,635 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,259 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,769 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,217 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,384 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah