Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expedite WGU credits ?
Star 
Hello everyone,

Im thankful that there is a resource available on here with many knowledgeable people whom i hope can provide me with some guidance. This is my very first post so if i sound like i don't know whats going on, then i hope i can be pointed in the right direction. 

My aim is to achieve a Computer science degree from WGU and i would like to do this in one semester. I am from Canada, so all these credit transfer methods are unknown to me and i dont know what my best approach would be to finish the degree in one semester. I have an unrelated degree from my university in Health Studies and havnt taken any math or computer science courses.

If I could recieve some guidance on what approach to take to maximize my credit transfer and finish in one semester i'd be eternally grateful.

Thank you so much everyone  Smile
WGU is not open to Canadians. Scroll on down to Steps and deadlines for enrollment into an IT program.

https://www.wgu.edu/admissions/it-requirements.html
TESU has a CompSci degree that you can get, and a bachelor's degree (?) from a Canadian college SHOULD make it so that you only have to do the 39cr required in the AoS (Major). Tuition for the capstone and fees there would be $5097, since you wouldn't have to pay for the cornerstone.

The entire AoS can be gotten via Study.com, or some other alternative-credit providers, and a TECEP exam (Networking).

There are other schools where you can get this type of degree as well, I think FHSU also has a CompSci degree for a decent price.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
What credits do you have? I'm not sure how university works in Canada; do you do English Composition? I'm not sure how WGU handles previous degrees but I think it's likely that the GEC requirements will be waived. That's pretty standard for second degrees. For core, you would have Study.com: https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...142&pid=86 and you could also use WGU Academy to get "guaranteed" admission + unlimited courses for $150/mo: https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...097&pid=86

I would recommend making a spreadsheet to figure out what you're going to take and from where. WGU Academy is likely going to be cheaper than SDC because they allow you to complete as many courses as you are able to for that one flat fee whereas Study.com is $200/mo for 2 exams + $70 each for up to 3 more exams. So, I would fill out your plan with courses from WGU Academy first and then SDC. But you would complete SDC first before signing up for WGU Academy. I hope this makes sense! Smile
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(03-03-2021, 09:35 PM)ss20ts Wrote: WGU is not open to Canadians. Scroll on down to Steps and deadlines for enrollment into an IT program.

https://www.wgu.edu/admissions/it-requirements.html

Hi, ive actually called and spoke with a mentor who said its okay as long as i live within a reasonable distance of a tsting centre, which i do.

(03-03-2021, 09:45 PM)rachel83az Wrote: What credits do you have? I'm not sure how university works in Canada; do you do English Composition? I'm not sure how WGU handles previous degrees but I think it's likely that the GEC requirements will be waived. That's pretty standard for second degrees. For core, you would have Study.com: https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...142&pid=86 and you could also use WGU Academy to get "guaranteed" admission + unlimited courses for $150/mo: https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...097&pid=86

I would recommend making a spreadsheet to figure out what you're going to take and from where. WGU Academy is likely going to be cheaper than SDC because they allow you to complete as many courses as you are able to for that one flat fee whereas Study.com is $200/mo for 2 exams + $70 each for up to 3 more exams. So, I would fill out your plan with courses from WGU Academy first and then SDC. But you would complete SDC first before signing up for WGU Academy. I hope this makes sense! Smile

LOOL thanks for your reply but im not even gonna pretend like i understood that lol

(03-03-2021, 09:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: TESU has a CompSci degree that you can get, and a bachelor's degree (?) from a Canadian college SHOULD make it so that you only have to do the 39cr required in the AoS (Major).  Tuition for the capstone and fees there would be $5097, since you wouldn't have to pay for the cornerstone.

The entire AoS can be gotten via Study.com, or some other alternative-credit providers, and a TECEP exam (Networking).

There are other schools where you can get this type of degree as well, I think FHSU also has a CompSci degree for a decent price.

Hi, thanks for your response. WGU would work out to be the cheapest at 3,500 per 6 month right?
Hey yellow_gambit, which province/city are you located in?  BTW, what made you switch from Health Science to Comp Sci?  Your best bet right now is to post your degree and courses completed (without your personal info), so we can see what can/can't be transferred in.  WGU is a good option, but may not be the best in all situations... 

With the limited information you have provided, I would get you to complete the bulk of your transfer courses from Study.com as they have the most ACE recommended for credit courses in Comp Sci.  It's $200/month for 2 exams (6 credits) and if you do an extra exam a month (to a max of 3 more exams) it's just $70/exam...  If you're missing general education/elective courses then see Sophia.org or StraighterLine.  

If you haven't created a spreadsheet of courses completed/required, you might want to create one and share it with us, you can use the WGU site to see what the requirements are and what courses you have completed and have to transfer in.  If you view the national agreements here, you can see transfer agreements with CSM, Saylor, StraighterLine, Study.com, etc - https://partners.wgu.edu/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-03-2021, 10:14 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey yellow_gambit, which province/city are you located in?  BTW, what made you switch from Health Science to Comp Sci?  Your best bet right now is to post your degree and courses completed (without your personal info), so we can see what can/can't be transferred in.  WGU is a good option, but may not be the best in all situations... 

With the limited information you have provided, I would get you to complete the bulk of your transfer courses from Study.com as they have the most ACE recommended for credit courses in Comp Sci.  It's $200/month for 2 exams (6 credits) and if you do an extra exam a month (to a max of 3 more exams) it's just $70/exam...  If you're missing general education/elective courses then see Sophia.org or StraighterLine.  

If you haven't created a spreadsheet of courses completed/required, you might want to create one and share it with us, you can use the WGU site to see what the requirements are and what courses you have completed and have to transfer in.  If you view the national agreements here, you can see transfer agreements with CSM, Saylor, StraighterLine, Study.com, etc - https://partners.wgu.edu/

Hi bjcheung77

I am in Toronto, Ontario. I want to switch to tech because i love the creative aspect of making things and learning how they work. I can always use this degree for Health informatics positions as well so it's pretty versatile. I took your advice and created a spreadsheet indicating the courses required for WGU COMPsci and the ones i got from my university.

I've enabled commenting permissions on the google doc, incase anyone has some comments to make. Please let me know of any tips/suggestions i may need to cost effectively and efficiently expedite the degree the best i can.

Thanks!

link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

I am also working on a Google IT Support Professional Certificate and have a TESOL english teaching certificate
(03-03-2021, 09:08 PM)yellow_gambit Wrote: Hello everyone,

Im thankful that there is a resource available on here with many knowledgeable people whom i hope can provide me with some guidance. This is my very first post so if i sound like i don't know whats going on, then i hope i can be pointed in the right direction. 

My aim is to achieve a Computer science degree from WGU and i would like to do this in one semester. I am from Canada, so all these credit transfer methods are unknown to me and i dont know what my best approach would be to finish the degree in one semester. I have an unrelated degree from my university in Health Studies and havnt taken any math or computer science courses.

If I could recieve some guidance on what approach to take to maximize my credit transfer and finish in one semester i'd be eternally grateful.

Thank you so much everyone  Smile

Hey, I hope these other posts were able to help you out! I do have some advice on an approach you can take to maximize your credit transfer. I would start off by saying get a transcript evaluation from WGU to see which credits will transfer over from your other University. If you want to knock out some of those remaining courses in your Computer Science Program at WGU, I would definitely recommend StraighterLine. StraighterLine is so worth it, it's super affordable and will save you so much time! I attached a link that lets you see which StraighterLine courses can be transferred to your Computer Science Program at WGU. I hope this helps out Smile  https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...753&pid=86
(03-15-2021, 06:08 PM)nemokg Wrote: Hey, I hope these other posts were able to help you out! I do have some advice on an approach you can take to maximize your credit transfer. I would start off by saying get a transcript evaluation from WGU to see which credits will transfer over from your other University. If you want to knock out some of those remaining courses in your Computer Science Program at WGU, I would definitely recommend StraighterLine. StraighterLine is so worth it, it's super affordable and will save you so much time! I attached a link that lets you see which StraighterLine courses can be transferred to your Computer Science Program at WGU. I hope this helps out Smile  https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...753&pid=86

OP, your spreadsheet is great, it's only got some basic gen eds and some courses that "may" transfer. I wouldn't just focus on StraighterLine alone, but also the ones I mentioned in my post above. So, for the OP from TO/Canada, you may want to review this: If you view the national agreements here, you can see transfer agreements with CSM, Saylor, StraighterLine, Study.com, etc - https://partners.wgu.edu/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 2,338 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey
  Racking up Sophia Credits - What's Next? Ljanelle 5 385 03-17-2024, 02:11 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan, potentially transferring ~50 Credits chrsghs 17 891 03-14-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  I finished my degree but still need 26 credits to graduate??? jesssem 8 599 02-26-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Good amount of credits, what to do next? khon 2 343 01-23-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Need Help On How To Get Credit for ACE/NCCRS Credits eyrobinson 4 419 01-19-2024, 01:36 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  Associate degree in CJ: easiest path with no prior credits? CM1999 2 258 01-11-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  A lot of credits trying to get a quick degree! Aehsahs 3 585 01-04-2024, 05:31 PM
  Hi! Prospective law school student. Need 30-ish credits to graduate within 6 months. CaughtInTheRye12 23 1,770 12-28-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Lots of random credits, (176!) need a BS or BA in Business LoveThePNW 3 494 12-24-2023, 02:23 AM