Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experience w/ a Big 3 degree
Do employers really care if you have a diploma from one of the Big Three? Or is it the opposite? I read in an article that employers would be impressed at someone acqiring a degree in record time for a fraction of the cost. Can anyone speak from experience?
Lazarus Wrote:Do employers really care if you have a diploma from one of the Big Three? Or is it the opposite? I read in an article that employers would be impressed at someone acqiring a degree in record time for a fraction of the cost. Can anyone speak from experience?

"The big 3" is the nickname we call them, it's nothing more. They are regular colleges.
From what ive seen they dont care. Ive been interviewing recently and my hr partner only cares if they have a degree. The most qualified candidate so far doesnt have a degree. She wanted me to interview a candidate with little actual expierence and a bs in biology (its a technology job) because its less work for her.

Our policy doesnt care what the degree is in ot where its from. If you dont have one hr has to justify the hire to every level of management involved in the hire (4 levels)
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
No one cares, it checks the box 99% of the time.

The ONLY time it has ever come up came when I applied to a large brick and mortar institution for a support job requiring a Masters. They recognized my WGU MBA as being from a "online" school and opted not to pursue me as a candidate....the recruiter stated this was the reason I was dropped. He elaborated that the academic director hiring for the job held a bias against online education. I really believe this was a one off, A blue tie or brown shoes were as likely to end my chances as anything....it was arbitrary.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I didn't think it would be a big deal. When I mention getting degrees from these kinds of colleges, my friends get a little skeptical. Hopefully I can clear that up for them.
rebel100 Wrote:No one cares, it checks the box 99% of the time.

The ONLY time it has ever come up came when I applied to a large brick and mortar institution for a support job requiring a Masters. They recognized my WGU MBA as being from a "online" school and opted not to pursue me as a candidate....the recruiter stated this was the reason I was dropped. He elaborated that the academic director hiring for the job held a bias against online education. I really believe this was a one off, A blue tie or brown shoes were as likely to end my chances as anything....it was arbitrary.

I clicked like, but like as in thank you for sharing, but sorry that happened. When they have a goal, the gymnastics employed to get to that person can be.... interesting.

Thread legal -

This comes up here often.

I did my research, and checked with the places I most likely were going to apply in the future, and made sure they were accepted before I spent the first penny. In your case, that may not be practicable but you could check with an association that caters to your field or hit the HR of a few 'name brand' companies in that field.

My line of thought is, it is a regionally accredited school that the federal education authorities have blessed off on. If I get picked off solely because of the schooling, I'm calling the school and the board and asking for help.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

My online MBA, which was paid for almost entirely by my employer has paid for itself many times over already with raises and promotions. I'm quite content with its utility.

There will always be reasons and excuses, I don't choose to dwell on this. A big 3 degree will check the box yet not leave you in significant debt......Lot to be said for that.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I'm not sure I'd want to work for a supervisor who had such a dim view of online education. Perhaps I'm biased, but I view this anti-online sentiment to be very dated and usually indicates that the person with the viewpoint is against change. I thrive in changing environments, so I'm pretty sure i'd be miserable in the type of environment where everything is done "old school".
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
mednat Wrote:I'm not sure I'd want to work for a supervisor who had such a dim view of online education. Perhaps I'm biased, but I view this anti-online sentiment to be very dated and usually indicates that the person with the viewpoint is against change. I thrive in changing environments, so I'm pretty sure i'd be miserable in the type of environment where everything is done "old school".

"Website? We don't need no drn website. We'll just run an ad in the paper." Yeah.
No one has heard of any of the big 3 so employers just classify it as a school that they've never heard of. I went to EC so if people ever ask where I went, I just say "a small school in New York, named Excelsior College".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU - Exploring Degree Options with Tuition Assistance Lightorb333 5 149 Yesterday, 04:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  LLB degree for Australia Atoshi 7 394 04-13-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,079 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,725 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  British Master’s degree for £1,950 armado 23 4,005 02-17-2024, 01:55 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer
  NAU is ending their PL MOL degree Ebroady23 5 841 01-19-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: kai1120
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,654 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
  Seeking affordable online interior design degree lumina 12 1,304 12-14-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Cheapest online masters degree under 12 months Sdmj33 30 9,204 12-02-2023, 05:00 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Help - Masters Degree Advice bdcmetal666 12 3,172 11-18-2023, 03:46 PM