Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Experience with Coopersmith Courses?
Hi everyone,

I really appreciate that you are all so knowledgable and willing to share your experiences!  This forum is an amazing resource!

Can anyone tell me what Coopersmith courses are like?  Do you just study the material and take a multiple tests and/or a final?  Multiple choice?  Essay questions?  Are papers required?

Specifically, I'm looking at Physiological Psychology, possibly History and Systems of Psychology and Eastern European Jewish Immigration and Settlement in the US.  Also, would all be UL at TESU with the latter fulfilling the non-Western history requirement?

I will need to take 3 courses from a provider other than study.com, and am wondering if these would be good choices.  Any insight would be much appreciated!
If you don't need it to be UL, I would skip Coopersmith's History and Systems of Psych and use Study.com's instead. We had a Coopersmith rep on here not too long ago, and even they don't like that exam.

For that class the instructions they give you is to read a textbook cover to cover without specific focus, then review their PowerPoint that just reads the headlines from the book without providing additional insight or context.

Then the exam tested on minutiae (think "who was the president of the American Psychological Association in xx year?") instead of focusing on concepts and theories. So it night be more your style if you're a history and trivia buff, but as a psych student is was just frustrating.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • jsh1138
(04-22-2018, 05:52 PM)jsd Wrote: If you don't need it to be UL, I would skip Coopersmith's History and Systems of Psych and use Study.com's instead. We had a Coopersmith rep on here not too long ago, and even they don't like that exam.

For that class the instructions they give you is to read a textbook cover to cover without specific focus, the review their PowerPoint that just reads the headlines from the book without providing additional insight or context.

Then the exam tested on minutiae (think "who was the president of the American Psychological Association in xx year?") instead of focusing on concepts and theories. So it night be more your style if you're a history and trivia buff, but as a psych student is was just frustrating.

Hmm, very helpful.  Thanks jsd.  

So maybe I would be better off taking a couple of courses like Psych 101 and Sociology 101 at Straighterline, and taking the 2 psych courses above at study.com (if Physiological Psych becomes accredited soon enough), along with something like the Soviet Union DSST?
(04-22-2018, 05:37 PM)Nell0330 Wrote: Eastern European Jewish Immigration and Settlement in the US.  Also, would all be UL at TESU with the latter fulfilling the non-Western history requirement?

I don't think this will fulfill the non-Western History, I think the only test-out available for that is the Soviet Union DSST exam, or possibly a World History course (TECEP, SL, and Ed4Credit).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-22-2018, 06:20 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-22-2018, 05:37 PM)Nell0330 Wrote: Eastern European Jewish Immigration and Settlement in the US.  Also, would all be UL at TESU with the latter fulfilling the non-Western history requirement?

I don't think this will fulfill the non-Western History, I think the only test-out available for that is the Soviet Union DSST exam, or possibly a World History course (TECEP, SL, and Ed4Credit).

I think Study.com has a new World History course. Might that count towards the non-Western History requirement?

Thanks dfrecore.  I think that is the answer I needed.  Appreciate your help!

(04-22-2018, 07:11 PM)Pelican Wrote:

I think Study.com has a new World History course. Might that count towards the non-Western History requirement?

I'll check into that Pelican--thank you!
My understanding is that the UL Study.com Vietnam course fulfills the non-Western history requirement

as far as Coopersmith goes, I know they used ProctorU for their tests, same as Straighterline and TESU, but other than that I don't know much about them. I was going to try a couple of their courses this summer so I guess I'll report back when I do
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(04-22-2018, 07:54 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: My understanding is that the UL Study.com Vietnam course fulfills the non-Western history requirement
I've seen some say it will satisfy, and others say it doesn't count because it's about US involvement in the war from a western perspective. The latter makes sense to me, but that doesn't mean it's what TESU does.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(04-22-2018, 09:00 PM)jsd Wrote:
(04-22-2018, 07:54 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: My understanding is that the UL Study.com Vietnam course fulfills the non-Western history requirement
I've seen some say it will satisfy, and others say it doesn't count because it's about US involvement in the war from a western perspective. The latter makes sense to me, but that doesn't mean it's what TESU does.

I've seen this question posed elsewhere without a clear answer....  I may just take the DSST, but if I ask about the Vietnam course and get a clear response, I'll post it here.

Thanks for your help jsh1138 and jsd.
I've taken both the Vietnam courses at Study.com, and the first one is definitely from a Western perspective but the UL one is more about Ho Chi Mihn and the politics of South Vietnam than it is about US involvement. I have it on my ACE transcript but haven't transferred it over to TESU yet. When I do I'll let you guys know what it comes in as
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 3 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • jsd, Nell0330, Yenisei

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,605 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,788 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra Experience Live Zachcleigh 11 3,241 03-08-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 545 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 967 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,803 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 537 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 307 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77