Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exploring post-BA options
If payment cost is a problem and you are on a budget then you could look at monthly payment options.

Aspen is where I'm planning to do my Masters and Doctorate:

http://www.aspen.edu/degrees/masters-degree

Aspen has masters in IT and a masters in psychology that has program specific accredation, it's worth looking at as it has low monthly payments and if you want to do a doctorate after the transition seems painless. I know people who finished in decent time. 

If you need lower monthly payments then you can check Ashworth college:

https://www.ashworthcollege.edu/masters-degrees/

Ashworth is fast! Complete a course and go on to the next. I completed a program with them and have no complaints. You can make small payments until you finish the degree. Not a bad option.

Just throwing these out there they are NA but may serve your purpose. They both cost around 10k which is average for a masters, but the small monthly payments can help you study without worrying about life getting in the way.

If you need to stop for a month or 6 then you keep paying the same small payments and can resume when you are ready. Competency schools like NAU or WGU can get insanely expensive if life pops up and you cant complete the term.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • jb111
(01-06-2019, 05:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote: WGU doesn't take any transfer credits for their MS degrees, except a couple of certs that prob aren't what you'd get - but it's better than nothing.

But, I guess my question is, why would you get a MA/MS now, when you haven't even seen what your BA/BS will do?  I personally would wait - if my kids were in college, getting them through without debt would be my number 1 priority - THEN, you can always work on your own degree IF YOU FIND THAT YOU NEED IT.  You may find that a BALS is all you need.  Or you may find that you want to spend some time looking to see what you actually do need; a Master's just for the sake of one when you don't have a lot of money is kind of a waste in my opinion.  It's something that for most of us is a luxury, and it can wait while you pay for the necessities.
You really honed in on a thought I've had in the back of my head dfcore.  Specifically - not taking on debt.  As for the BA, I finished that for a few reasons: 1) unfinished life business 2) opens masters <-- which is the lowest degree that would make any difference at my age-51/career level 3) example for my kids.  The last two jobs I applied for (over a span of 10 years) assumed I had a Bachelors because I listed Strayer and the dates attended (no mention of BA/BS).  Then several months later they came back and said, "Oh, I thought you had your bachelors".  The assumption was probably based on 23 years in IT.

So at this point, I'm doing some soul-searching.  To pay for kids college, income needs to stay high for 6 years (that means staying in Infosec or a more general IT management role).  After that, I'd like to pursue the spiritual and/or psychology side - maybe on the side.  Retiring with the state is hard to beat

(01-06-2019, 08:16 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: If payment cost is a problem and you are on a budget then you could look at monthly p...
Aspen has masters in IT and a masters in psychology that has program specific accredation...

Ashworth is fast...If you need to stop for a month or 6 then you keep paying the same small payments and can resume when you are ready. Competency schools like NAU or WGU can get insanely expensive if life pops up and you cant complete the term.

Very good perspectives.  This ain't gonna be study.com lessons on double speed.  About once a year something major comes up.  Thank you
As I mentioned earlier, I highly suggest since your company is providing reimbursement for IT certifications to take advantage of those while you decide on pursuing your graduate studies at a Nationally or Regionally accredited institution.  I am doing the same thing as my company only forks out the "cash flow" for selective IT/Biz certs, I take advantage of those...

BTW, the Brandman University MAOL is not the "full time $650/credit regular or traditional program", I am referring to their MyPath program, it's slightly cheaper than WGU but it's still $3500/6 month term.  If you can do it in that time, you've got a MAOL cheap.  Link: https://www.brandman.edu/academic-progra...ip-my-path

The NAU MCIT program is also a good one and slightly cheaper at $3000/6 month, but since you mentioned you wanted Psychology (Organizational), Leadership, IT, etc, and in order of preference, I would still recommend you take a look at WGU MSML or MBA ITM in addition to these two programs mentioned above, the reason is WGU is known to be "a quick degree"...

If cost is such an issue, I would save up while getting those IT/Biz certifications, and once you hit over $3000 or $4000 and extra cash just in case of other fees, apply and enroll into any competency based Masters of your choice and go get it done!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • jb111
Ashworth is twice the budget. It's $3000/yr.

I'm agreeing with bjcheung, you spend $3500 or so on a competency based Masters when you have it. Until then just do free and reimbursed stuff.

However, the downside is you'd need to finish in 1 term. So be sure you can, or you could do the Nations U MTS.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • jb111
.I was just throwing it out there, if you cant finish in 1 term and dont want to take the risk, Ashworth and Aspen are actually pretty good choices. Low minthly payments spread out over time was actually created for Adults on a budget. The OP even says every year something major comes up. What if he needs to take some months off? Money wasted. Plus you must shell out that $3500 all at once Ashworth and Aspen require a flea's flee amount of that to start.

Competency programs are great value for money. But they arent for everyone, its actually very risky to do those cause life is so unpredictable and can become a nightmare debt situation really fast. Not everyone can afford the time and commitment necessary to complete a degree in 1 term. Stuff happens. Life happens.

I was just giving them all the options so the OP can make a more informed decision thats all. At the end of the day the OP knows their life situation, time availability and budget.

@Ideas Adhworth is not 3000 a year. You can comfortably pay that 3000 over 2 years in monthly payments then clear off your balance as you are able too.

If you pay like $150 a month its 1800 a year. After that 2 year hiatus the OP mentioned when things are not tight, clear off the rest.

There is also California Coast University. One can pay $100 a month there until you finish:

https://www.calcoast.edu/tuition-fees-an...plans.html
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • jb111
You all are amazing!  Thank you.  I have lots to think about and feel far more informed now.
I'm kind of late to the thread, but is it possible to get some tuition reimbursement... even if it means looking at another place of employment? I paid for my MBA (and am still paying ha ha) but really am kicking myself that I didn't take advantage of tuition reimbursement at one of the companies I've worked at over the years.

Another thought is that the MBA may or may not matter, depending on what you do. Sometimes they want to see the actual diploma, and other times, you just use the knowledge to advance at work. But what I will say, is that unfortunately with your budget, it's hard to get an "impressive" MBA, so why not wait? What about doing certificates on EDUx or Coursera? The certificates are paid, but you can take the course for free. And they're all from very well-known universities, so you can gain the knowledge and if the name matters, you have something to list on your resume. I have only taken a couple of these courses, but when I did a contract law with Harvardx, I can say that my company did find it impressive.

Again, it really depends on where you are and what you need the MBA to do for you. There are a ton of options in this thread, so just go with what makes the most sense for you personally. Smile Good luck!!!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 2 users Like burbuja0512's post:
  • Ideas, jb111
(01-07-2019, 06:01 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @Ideas Adhworth is not 3000 a year. You can comfortably pay that 3000 over 2 years in monthly payments then clear off your balance as you are able too.

If you pay like $150 a month its 1800 a year. After that 2 year hiatus the OP mentioned when things are not tight, clear off the rest.

There is also California Coast University.  One can pay $100 a month there until you finish:

Oh, that's great!

I agree that planning to finish in 1 term is risky for most people, because of unexpected things. Especially if they don't have some related experience, etc.

Cal Coast is only nationally accredited, FYI. In case that's something anyone is looking at.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
@jsd so is Apsen and NationsU, Uni of the People az well, but NA may still help some people meet their educational, personal and professional goals.

And of course monthly payments is a big bonus as well for lower income and people from developing countries who simply cannot bear the risk and financial burden otherwise associated with some of the other mentioned programs.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU - Exploring Degree Options with Tuition Assistance Lightorb333 5 136 11 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  My Duke Student Blog Post ThatBankDude 1 262 03-04-2024, 06:25 PM
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,117 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Analysis paralysis options jb111 5 448 02-13-2024, 11:49 AM
  Time to start thinking post grad, and don’t know where to start Insert Name 7 968 07-09-2023, 10:43 AM
  Master of Healthcare Administration - options? allvia 4 803 05-10-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: CatsDomino
  UT Austin post graduate cert Data Science and Business Analytics Pats20 4 1,489 01-12-2023, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  MSCS options ElephantCart 14 1,897 08-27-2022, 02:12 PM
  MS Data Science/Data Analytics options? Latesterna 24 3,815 06-08-2022, 02:03 PM
  List My Master's Degree Options TINASAM 11 1,895 06-08-2022, 01:55 PM