Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FEMA Credits - Can I Use Them Somewhere?
Long time lurker / learner here. I had completed the FEMA courses years ago and TESU transfered them in, credits and courses below, but then they changed policies and I can no longer use them. Is there something I can do with these? I just recently re-enrolled at TESU to try and get some kind of degree (they are giving me 69 credits towards BALS) and am wondering if it would be worth it to go somewhere else where I could utilize more credits.

TIA

PLA-100 OL001 Intro Prior Learning Assessmnt
CHE-111 OL010 General Chemistry I
ENS-200 Environmental Science
HEA-103 Here's To Your Health
SOS-304 Drugs and Society
ENC-101 English Composition I
ENC-102 English Composition II
LIT-291 Analysis & Interpre Literature
LIT-292 Analysis and Inter of Lit II
SOS-110 OL010 Living in the Information Age
GEO-151 OL009 Physical Geology
ART-100 OL011 A World of Art
SOC-101 OL012 Introduction to Sociology
COS-101 Introduction to Computers
EDM-193 Livestock in Disasters
EDM-203 Exercise Design
EDM-232 Intro, Residential Coastal Coa
EDM-242 Anticip Hazardous Weather &
EDM-140 Introduction to Mitigation
EDM-155 Orien. Haz Mat for Med. Prsnnl
EDM-241 Mitigation for Homeowners
EDM-207 Leadership and Influence
EDM-208 Decision Making & Problem Solv
EDM-209 Effective Communications
EDM-210 Developing & Managing Voluntee
EDM-224 Emergency Planning
EDM-101 Emer.Prog.Mgr.Orient.To Posit.
EDM-190 Build.For Earthqua.Of Tomorrow
EDM-191 Animals in Disaster-A
EDM-192 Animals in Disaster-B Com Plan
EDM-107 Principles of Emer Management
ATC-201 Navigation I
AVM-330 Aircraft Electrical Systems
ELT-102 Basic Electronics Lab
MAI-251 Maintenance Management
MAN-201 Principles of Supervision
AOJ-401 Terrorism
POS-315 International Relations I
ELE-141 Electrical Wiring
BUE-101 Personal Finance
MAN-201 Principles of Supervision
ELM-171 Diagnosis & Troubleshooting
AVF-122 Private Pilot Rotocraft Flight
COS-332 Computer Organization
ELC-201 Electronic Commn Systems
ELC-323 Radar
ELD-311 Microprocessors
ELM-151 Computer Repair I: Module Lev
MSC-131 Marksmanship
MSC-161 Outdoor/Survival Skills
PEA-199 Spec. Stud. in Selected Topics
AUM-111 Basic Auto Mechanics
AUM-114 Auto Suspensions and Brakes
AUM-121 Suspension & Alignment
ENC-101 English Composition I
Did you re-enrol or re-apply? Which catalog year are you in? Could you copy/paste your evaluation for us to view so we can see what courses are missing for the degree? You might want to create a BSBA General Management Academic Evaluation and also a BS Tech Studies evaluation. BTW, are you active military or a vet? Do you have tuition assistance/reimbursement? Are you planning to get 16 residency credits or are you wanting to pay the residency waiver fee?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-13-2020, 09:13 PM)pkmoose Wrote: Long time lurker / learner here. I had completed the FEMA courses years ago and TESU transfered them in, credits and courses below, but then they changed policies and I can no longer use them. Is there something I can do with these? I just recently re-enrolled at TESU to try and get some kind of degree (they are giving me 69 credits towards BALS) and am wondering if it would be worth it to go somewhere else where I could utilize more credits.

When I first started this academic journey back in 2009-2010 or whenever it was, I was originally planning to attend COSC, which took FEMA at the time. I ended up taking a ton of FEMA courses and transferred them in, but then ended up getting distracted with work and life and a cross-country move and didn't get back to this stuff until 2017. By then COSC and most everywhere else had dropped credit equivalence for FEMA courses. COSC was still taking a few but only like 6 credits worth. So I ended up switching to TESU and just gave up on the FEMA courses.

While it is still technically possible to get them evaluated by a third party school (Frederick Community College) to get them onto a transcript, I think only Excelsior will accept them now. Plus it is more expensive (like $76 per credit) than just taking courses directly via Study.com, StraighterLine, or Sophia. I believe that Excelsior will also take a handful of ACE approved FEMA courses directly (EMI and FNA training classes) but those are all in-person, multi-day courses and must be recent.

Personally, I recommend you just figure out what degree you want and then plan to take courses via one of the ACE providers that fit into the degree plan and ideally focus on areas where you've already got a lot of experience and knowledge.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • SteveFoerster
Merlin

"While it is still technically possible to get them evaluated by a third party school (Frederick Community College) to get them onto a transcript, I think only Excelsior will accept them now. Plus it is more expensive (like $76 per credit) than just taking courses directly via Study.com, StraighterLine, or Sophia. I believe that Excelsior will also take a handful of ACE approved FEMA courses directly (EMI and FNA training classes) but those are all in-person, multi-day courses and must be recent."

I think is more like $88 per credit now... auch!!! but you still have the option.

https://www.frederick.edu/cost-financial...-fees.aspx
Excelsior accepts FEMA credits. However, you have to pay for them. I can't find on their website how much they charge, but it's not cheap. They are much cheaper alternatives such as Sophia and Study.com. EC also does not accept all FEMA credits.
(09-14-2020, 10:29 AM)Kab Wrote: I think is more like $88 per credit now... auch!!! but you still have the option.

Ahh, it was $76 last I looked (which was at least 3 years ago) so yeah it doesn't surprise me that they are more expensive now. But that is what you need to pay if you want to transfer the credits to Excelsior or elsewhere. Way more expensive than just taking courses from one of the many ACE providers we have access to now.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(09-14-2020, 02:53 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 10:29 AM)Kab Wrote: I think is more like $88 per credit now... auch!!! but you still have the option.

Ahh, it was $76 last I looked (which was at least 3 years ago) so yeah it doesn't surprise me that they are more expensive now. But that is what you need to pay if you want to transfer the credits to Excelsior or elsewhere. Way more expensive than just taking courses from one of the many ACE providers we have access to now.

Do they transcript saying FEMA or appear to be regular RA credits. I mean if they appear to be regular credits could they be used for minimum RA credits at COSC or another institution that accept a max of ACE credits but are more generous with RA credits?
What do you think?
(09-15-2020, 02:36 PM)Kab Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 02:53 PM)Merlin Wrote:

Do they transcript saying FEMA or appear to be regular RA credits. I mean if they appear to be regular credits could they be used for minimum RA credits at COSC or another institution that accept a max of ACE credits but are more generous with RA credits?
What do you think?

While I haven't had them transcripted myself, based on how these things usually work, they will very likely appear on the FCC transcript as FEMA credits. Schools usually declare where incoming credits originate on a transcript unless they have some kind of co-enrollment program in place where they certify credit earned at a partner provider. You can find more information about FCC's FEMA conversion policies here. It says you will receive college credit on an FCC transcript and can order transcripts via Parchment, but it doesn't clarify how they appear, etc. It does mention that FCC is a FEMA partner, so it is possible they translate them into FCC earned credit (which would imply they become RA). But I was under the impression that the provenance of those credits is from an ACE credit recommendation. You probably need to reach out to FCC directly to find out more.

Either way, it doesn't matter since COSC will only accept a few FEMA courses for credit these days, and you don't need to filter them through FCC. I believe that Excelsior is the only Big 3 school that will take FEMA credits from FCC, but they won't take all of them. I have no idea if any other school will accept them. Also, keep in mind that FEMA courses will generally come in as free elective credits unless you're applying them to an Emergency Management degree, so they are unlikely to meet any specific degree requirements, and if you don't have enough open elective slots, any extra won't be used in the degree.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
Surprisingly enough, I had an emergency management job that I recently applied for that required four of them for consideration for the position. They may help on that side of things if your intending on that career trajectory.
COSC AS 2019 - completed
COSC BSBA 2020 - completed
Cumberland School of Law M.S.L 2022 - completed
UA - MS Hospitality Management 2024 - in process

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,721 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 585 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,194 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 473 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,788 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
Information 3 credits in quantitative reasoning for $39 (ACE) MNomadic 92 18,508 10-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  What if my Degree contains too many Transfered Credits from Sophia etc.? ecdw94 19 2,767 10-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  So... I Asked IU if they accept ACE credits, they do! elcastor21 21 1,647 09-26-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fast, Self Paced, preferrably cheap RA credits elcastor21 6 869 09-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee