Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FHSU Computer Science
Hello, all.

I've been helping my youngest spawn in his search for an online CS program since he's reconsidering his plan to attend a brick and mortar university.  He's started at our local community college to get his gen ed/transfer classes, and is thriving with a 4.0 GPA.  He's an Aspie, so having only a few face to face coupled with mostly online classes has been wonderful for him.  Cost wise, he would come from FHSU with zero debt (woohoo!) since his scholarships and college fund will cover everything for his final two years.  If he goes this route, he'll likely have a nice nest egg to start his post collegiate life with as well.  

He's interested in Fort Hays State University's online computer science program, but doesn't know anything about it.  I thought I'd ask the forum here since I've noticed this university tossed about at times.  He's looked over the curriculum, and it's similar although not quite as rigorous as the state school he had planned to attend.  Also, there's mixed reviews about the school and the CS program online - I expected that.  Any info about experiences, class structure, instructor involvement, strength of the program, how it prepared you for work in the field, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Have you looked into WGU, TESU, etc?
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(04-14-2020, 02:32 PM)udi Wrote: Have you looked into WGU, TESU, etc?

When I spoke to my son about that and showed him all the info contained here, he declined.  He's researched on his own as well, and hit on FHSU's CS program since he had planned to major in CS and minor in physics at the state school he's considering.  I only wish I had his drive at 18 since he'll be done with his associate in science in December, and is planning on how to get his BS with no debt.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.
is there a reason you picked FHSU I'm assuming because it is cheap.
(04-14-2020, 10:10 PM)natshar Wrote: is there a reason you picked FHSU I'm assuming because it is cheap.

He looked at the program, read class descriptions, compared it to the classes he would take at the state university, made sure there was reciprocity with his community college (there is), and then looked at tuition and fees.  He's looked at two other programs, but has said that they're similar all the way around so now he's heavily considering cost.  If he can't find anymore info about it, he's probably going to end up at the state school he's been accepted to.  He's a bit ahead of the game, and is in his sixth math class (two have been upper level (Advanced Calculus 1 & 2 through an agreement between his community college and his intended state uni).  He's basically 18 going on 35.  Big Grin
Fort Hays was my backup in case I didn't get into the Master's program I preferred, and that was fifteen years ago, so they have more experience than most with online learning. That said, then as now, I'd say they are largely unknown nationally, and their reputation is that of most non-flagship state schools: perfectly serviceable, if unremarkable. That sounds damning, but it isn't: many, perhaps most people (including me as an undergrad) end up at schools that are not well known outside their areas, and that's okay. What really matters is the fit between the student and the school, and if your son has done the math, as it were, and come up with Fort Hays, then I see no reason for him not to feel confident about that decision.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes SteveFoerster's post:
  • CatsDomino
There are a few schools with GREAT reputations outside of their local area (Harvard for example), a few schools with Bad reputations, and then THE REST. Out of 4,000+ colleges and universities in the US, I'd say 30 schools fall into the first category, 10 fall into the second, and the other 3,960 schools fall into the 3rd category.

If you can do a GREAT school for cheap, then do so. If you can't, then avoid the bad and go for good. Whatever you can do debt free is what I would choose. I wouldn't have any qualms about going to FHSU at all. It's a perfectly fine state school. If he wants to make his degree more rigorous, he can do that on his own by taking more/harder courses as electives.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • CatsDomino, SteveFoerster
Interesting, from looking at the FHSU Comp Sci program, it's pretty similar and standard - almost like the TESU comp-sci but with lesser Math requirements, otherwise, it's very comparable. If your son indeed is looking for a bit of a challenge, he can take the courses with more Math and UL computer science if there is room for free electives/general education choices in the degree plan.

Have him compare TESU/WGU programs and see what he would like to do with his extra free elective/general education spaces if he can add or change them around if possible. Those are elective courses he has an option to modify, these are required major courses at FHSU - FHSU BSCompSci: https://www.fhsu.edu/cs/Academic-Program...er-science
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • CatsDomino

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 210 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 175 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,204 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 509 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,162 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 3,870 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 18,841 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Science pre-reqs with No Proctor MeangreenMBA 2 596 06-23-2023, 01:33 PM
  LSU Online Computer Science JO37992 2 747 03-22-2023, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill