Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIN-301, MAN-210, MAR-201 Equivalent through Sophia?
Here’s the thing about the Sophia classes…. They are all open book. I finished Environmental Science in 3 days. I liked it. I don’t remember much though. Doesn’t matter. If I need the credit, it will still transfer. I took US History 2. I hate history. That one took me a couple of weeks with some procrastination in the middle. Microeconomics and Macroeconomics also took me a few weeks with some procrastination in the middle. If you can resist procrastination… most of the Sophia classes will be pretty quick. It’s a great place to get started because it’s open book and you can start getting those credits adding up before you move on to the next provider.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(05-18-2022, 10:40 PM)ss20ts Wrote: The enrollment counselors don't know squat about the YourPace program. They're not UMPI employees. They're a third party contractor.

I have not seen anyone in YourPace transfer in high school credit for a foreign language except an AP exam.

It's only 1 history course! You only need 1. Some people have a preference for the period of time they study. Sophia courses are NOTHING like college courses. I finished Macroeconomics in 3 days on Sophia. Environmental Science took like 2 days because I was binge watching Netflix. ACE courses can be completed really quickly compared to typical college courses. Chem is an option. You need a lab science. Bio and Chem on Study are the best options. They utilize a virtual lab which is faster and easier than the alternatives.

If you spend 2 sessions at UMPI it will cost you $2800 no matter how many courses you complete there. You can also take more courses at UMPI and fewer ACE courses if you want. Just a little something to think about. UMPI tuition isn't per credit. There are no additional fees. No textbooks either. Everything you need is included in the course content on the learning platform. Even graduation is free! I was just looking at a school that charges $250 for graduation. I was like are you for real? LOL
As I talk to more enrollment counselors at more schools I can see what you are saying is true. Often they don't have answers to questions at all or give borderline wrong info that I find myself later on the schools own website. Also, I'm finding it difficult to put together the extra fees for each school. They will tell you the cost per credit/term but that is about it unless you push and know exactly what questions to ask.

Of course you are right about the classes I poo-poo! It certainly won't kill me to do some of these Gen Ed courses, especially if I can knock them out easily through Sophia. That's how this whole post got started really. I just wanted to line up all the Sophia (or SDC) courses so I can take them over the summer and start "real school" in a few months with all my transfers. 

I guess it just struck me as odd that UMPI was so different than the 4 other schools I've already got transfer credits/class lists for. None of them require a language or a lab science or anything like environmental science. A couple require history courses. One gave me credit for history with my Holocaust course from my Associates. Funny how the curriculum and what transfers in is so different between schools even when looking at the exact same degree program.

(05-19-2022, 07:19 AM)Vle045 Wrote: Here’s the thing about the Sophia classes…. They are all open book.  I finished Environmental Science in 3 days.  I liked it.  I don’t remember much though.  Doesn’t matter.  If I need the credit, it will still transfer.  I took US History 2.  I hate history.  That one took me a couple of weeks with some procrastination in the middle.  Microeconomics and Macroeconomics also took me a few weeks with some procrastination in the middle.  If you can resist procrastination… most of the Sophia classes will be pretty quick.   It’s a great place to get started because it’s open book and you can start getting those credits adding up before you move on to the next provider.

Thank you for sharing your experience with Sophia classes. I feel like you do - for some of these classes I don't care if I retain the info I just need to pass the class and get the credit.
(05-18-2022, 10:40 PM)ss20ts Wrote: The enrollment counselors don't know squat about the YourPace program. They're not UMPI employees. They're a third party contractor.

I have not seen anyone in YourPace transfer in high school credit for a foreign language except an AP exam.

It's only 1 history course! You only need 1. Some people have a preference for the period of time they study. Sophia courses are NOTHING like college courses. I finished Macroeconomics in 3 days on Sophia. Environmental Science took like 2 days because I was binge watching Netflix. ACE courses can be completed really quickly compared to typical college courses. Chem is an option. You need a lab science. Bio and Chem on Study are the best options. They utilize a virtual lab which is faster and easier than the alternatives.

If you spend 2 sessions at UMPI it will cost you $2800 no matter how many courses you complete there. You can also take more courses at UMPI and fewer ACE courses if you want. Just a little something to think about. UMPI tuition isn't per credit. There are no additional fees. No textbooks either. Everything you need is included in the course content on the learning platform. Even graduation is free! I was just looking at a school that charges $250 for graduation. I was like are you for real? LOL

Hi ss20ts
Thank you for providing the info but I finally got my transfer evaluation today. I've attached the PDF here. I used the second column to fill in all the blanks (what I could take at Sophia or SDC), I marked the classes that I'm pretty sure will have to be taken at UMPI and then there are the courses that are Transfer Credits/CLEP. 

I wanted to get your thoughts on this - did I map out the Sophia and SDC right?
I ask because my evaluation seemed to be a tiny bit different than some of the corses you suggested as equivalences.

There are a few courses that I wasn't sure about the equivalence - marked in red.
Gen Ed 1C: Bus/Com 210, Pos 101, PCJ 215
  • Would Sophia Communication at Work cover this? If not then Study.com Political Science 102?
Gen Ed 3E: Bio 105, 112, 113, 261
  • Would Study.com Biology 101L: Intro to Biology with Lab cover this?

Are there any equivalence that exists for these 2:
  • Bus 353 Legal & Ethical Environment of Business?
  • BUS 334 Advertising, Public Relations?

Finally for the language is Sophia Spanish enough? I saw that it might not be considered a true equivalent. If so I can take it through Study.com but I'd rather do it through Sophia if possible.

Attached Files
.pdf   UMPI Evaluation HT.pdf (Size: 203.6 KB / Downloads: 7)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia to TESU Carnation 3 506 12-27-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Troubles with Sophia Transfer (Science & History) poisonedapple 5 628 12-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: poisonedapple
  Sophia Intro to Networking Transfer Niketay 11 1,023 08-03-2023, 03:48 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia US Gov for Civic Engagement GE? PLEX 3 558 07-31-2023, 02:58 AM
  Duplicating a Sophia Class dillpickles 8 498 07-11-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: dillpickles
  SOPHIA ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE TRANSFER HELP mt_1994 5 838 05-18-2023, 03:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Confirmation Sophia's American Government transferred into TESU as POS-110 CanICode 3 643 05-16-2023, 10:38 AM
Last Post: jeremyminni
  Sophia programming course gams007 0 455 03-15-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: gams007
  Sophia Business Communication - TESU COM-202 Intro to Business Communications BSLIONS 0 597 02-21-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: BSLIONS
  Sophia Intro to Nutrition Insert Name 15 2,074 11-14-2022, 12:09 PM