Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need advice in putting together degree plan for my wife (and me)
(08-07-2018, 09:09 PM)dfrecore Wrote: First, why do you think the BSBA/CIS degree is "easier"?  I don't think that's the case at all.  If I was going to recommend a degree for someone and they really wanted the Cybersecurity degree, there is absolutely zero chance I would recommend the BSBA/CIS degree.  Not in a million years.  I think the Cybersecurity degree is a thousand times more useful than the BSBA/CIS.

Second, why would you want to do the exact same degree as your wife when she knows exactly what she wants and you're not (I don't think) in the same field?  I wouldn't spend a single second trying for the same degree as my husband just for the heck of it.  He's in one field, I'm in another, we don't have the same interests, and we don't want the same degree.

You are separate people, with separate paths to take, don't try to limit her and don't limit yourself.  Both of you go out there and get the degree each of you wants!

Sorry for the confusion, I'm not planning on doing the same degree as her. But I am planning out her path, so I tend to switch to using "I" without thinking or making it clear that I'm talking about the degree I was planning for her. I still have no idea what I want, but we can both start on some of the same general ed stuff.

Looking at the cybersecurity path and the number of specialized courses regarding programming vs the CIS path and the number of classes that can be tested out of, it certainly looks like the easier degree. And I'm not alone in that assessment as I read on other forums about CIS looking like the degree that people get when they 'can't hack it' in cybersecurity or computer sciences.

Right now we are both started on History of the US 1, so at least we have started moving towards something! I love US history, so I'm having a pretty easy time of some of it.
(08-07-2018, 09:31 PM)CassandraMT Wrote:
(08-07-2018, 09:09 PM)dfrecore Wrote: First, why do you think the BSBA/CIS degree is "easier"?  I don't think that's the case at all.  If I was going to recommend a degree for someone and they really wanted the Cybersecurity degree, there is absolutely zero chance I would recommend the BSBA/CIS degree.  Not in a million years.  I think the Cybersecurity degree is a thousand times more useful than the BSBA/CIS.

Second, why would you want to do the exact same degree as your wife when she knows exactly what she wants and you're not (I don't think) in the same field?  I wouldn't spend a single second trying for the same degree as my husband just for the heck of it.  He's in one field, I'm in another, we don't have the same interests, and we don't want the same degree.

You are separate people, with separate paths to take, don't try to limit her and don't limit yourself.  Both of you go out there and get the degree each of you wants!

Sorry for the confusion, I'm not planning on doing the same degree as her. But I am planning out her path, so I tend to switch to using "I" without thinking or making it clear that I'm talking about the degree I was planning for her. I still have no idea what I want, but we can both start on some of the same general ed stuff.

Looking at the cybersecurity path and the number of specialized courses regarding programming vs the CIS path and the number of classes that can be tested out of, it certainly looks like the easier degree. And I'm not alone in that assessment as I read on other forums about CIS looking like the degree that people get when they 'can't hack it' in cybersecurity or computer sciences.

Right now we are both started on History of the US 1, so at least we have started moving towards something! I love US history, so I'm having a pretty easy time of some of it.

The CIS degree is easier to test out of if you are good at those subjects.  My husband is a computer guy, and the thought of taking all those Gen Ed's sounds horrible to him.  The thought of the business courses is even worse.

For a computer person, having 75% of the courses something you actually have an interest in IS easier.  He'd much rather do the "harder" WGU degree than the BSBA/CIS degree.

Easier is always in the eye of the beholder.  What seems easy to one person might look like torture to another.  You probably feel that way when you look at all those Cybersecurity/IT courses, but I'll be your wife is intrigued, and cringes at the thought of Microeconomics or Managerial Accounting...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I've gone through most of the posts so far on this thread. Here's my 2 cents. For your wife you could consider a Cybersecurity degree from Excelsior. From your post it appears your wife already has work experience in CS/ Cybersecurity. Here are some advantages I think this could get you:

1) Being husband and wife, like a few others including cookderosa and bfcheung mentioned, it will give you both a chance to study for your general requirements together, so you can combine your joint resources and study together if you like.

2) With her work experience, your wife can get more college credits for her work experience at Excelsior (TESU also has this) via a portfolio assessment process. So she might be able to complete her Cybersecurity degree sooner (if that is the goal). Portfolio assessment is a bit more expensive but the budget you mentioned about 4000 grand can easily cover all of that and more.

3) If you yourself have work experience, you can also do a portfolio assessment for yourself.

Any good work experience especially in Technology is I think a good candidate for portfolio assessment,
When I completed my CS degree years ago, about 15 or so credits for the Upper level CS courses came from my work experience, so it is definitely possible.

-----------------------------------
Book Author of College Shortcuts: An Express Undergraduate Degree with Zero Student Loans
https://www.amazon.com/College-Shortcuts...B078T3FBBB

Entrepreneur & Senior Software Developer Java/JEE
http://www.collegeonomics.com

B.S.Computer Info Systems from Excelsior College
B.A. Mathematics Distance degree
[-] The following 1 user Likes padma's post:
  • CassandraMT
I won't make this a progress thread or anything, but I take my first CLEP tomorrow for US History 1. I've never taken one before. I know it's all done on computer, but how does it work? Is it easy to go back to questions you want to check over at the end?
[-] The following 1 user Likes CassandraMT's post:
  • cookderosa
(08-15-2018, 11:22 PM)CassandraMT Wrote: I won't make this a progress thread or anything, but I take my first CLEP tomorrow for US History 1. I've never taken one before. I know it's all done on computer, but how does it work? Is it easy to go back to questions you want to check over at the end?

Yes. You can even mark questions so that you can return to them more easily.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • CassandraMT
First ever CLEP is a pass. Score of 71. Now it's time to get my wife prepped on the material and we'll both be on that road.

I'll update this thread whenever I find the next thing I have a question on, but just wanted to say thanks for the help in getting from "idea" to "step one".
(08-17-2018, 02:16 AM)CassandraMT Wrote: First ever CLEP is a pass. Score of 71. Now it's time to get my wife prepped on the material and we'll both be on that road.

I'll update this thread whenever I find the next thing I have a question on, but just wanted to say thanks for the help in getting from "idea" to "step one".

Congrats! The first is the hardest. The more you do, the easier they become. Or at least, that is how it was for me.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • CassandraMT, hsfamfun
(08-17-2018, 02:16 AM)CassandraMT Wrote: First ever CLEP is a pass. Score of 71. Now it's time to get my wife prepped on the material and we'll both be on that road.

Careful! Earning credit can be addictive!
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • CassandraMT, mysonx3

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 581 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 259 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 599 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,687 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 565 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 496 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 280 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 839 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,225 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,808 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74