Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heart Transplant -- Finally Free
Hello everyone! My name is Nick. I was born hard of hearing and very weak. My parents went into a massive amount of debt trying to keep me alive, throughout their life. Doctors right and left had no idea what to do with me. My entire life growing up has been in hospitals. 

I was always so sick. In school I was sick and absent most of the time. My high school teachers just passed me because I was going to die anyways. No reason to give the dying kid that F even though he never showed up to school, right? This kept happening. Over and over. I did get accepted to a Brick & Mortar but, I got so sick I ended up in the hospital for over a month and had a major surgery. 

I worked while weak. I pretended to be okay. Still spent a lot of time in the hospital or purposely avoided it. I put education on the backburner. Cause, why bother? I'm gonna die. One day Kaiser Permanente gave me an actual timeline, right when I got good at my career, and realized I had to fight them. I went looking for a second opinion and ended up at Cedars-Sinai.

I got a new heart this year. I just turned 31 now. I am reading your guys' thread like an addiction. My medical expenses are sky high! The actual heart transplant cost my insurance 5.7 million thus far. My work has been great at holding my job for me. I'm still in rehab, and with this Sophia thing going on I'm finally knocking off things I've always wanted to do. 

For the very first time I am alive, truly. I don't feel chest pain for the first time in over 30 years. I don't feel out of breath for the first time in 30 years. My old heart was under 30% EF for my entire life, and under 15% for the last ten. Now I'm at 70% with this donor heart.

After I'm done with Sophia (probably a few weeks from now), I plan on doing a few InstantCerts next, followed by Davar. I plan on going to TESU. 

Thank you everyone for your awesome advice, your support, your encouragement to me getting my degree. I'm looking forward to it. I feel finally free. Have any of you done college after an organ transplant?
[-] The following 12 users Like ashkir's post:
  • a4tunatemom, allvia, ARhead, CatsDomino, degreeseeker9, GizmoJack, inkleind, Lordoftimeywimey, Pikachu, rachel83az, ss20ts, SteveFoerster
Heart

Congratulations on your new heart!
That's awesome! Don't wait on applying to TESU, apply now and get your courses locked in. They change things every year, the only reason I'll be able to graduate this year is because I locked in the course catalog (or whatever it's called) back in 2017 and have stayed enrolled since.

Welcome to your new life! I can't imagine what that must be like for you. Go out and live it!
(09-14-2020, 11:14 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Heart

Congratulations on your new heart!
Thank you! <3

(09-14-2020, 11:40 AM)inkleind Wrote: That's awesome! Don't wait on applying to TESU, apply now and get your courses locked in. They change things every year, the only reason I'll be able to graduate this year is because I locked in the course catalog (or whatever it's called) back in 2017 and have stayed enrolled since.

Welcome to your new life! I can't imagine what that must be like for you. Go out and live it!
I did apply and pay the $50 fee since waivers don't exist for them. I got the current catalog locked in! I wish I would've done it years ago now, haha. So I could skip SOS-110 and others. I'm going to have to save up for about 6 months while on Disability from my heart transplant before I can afford the $1500 for the SOS-110. I'm trying to apply for scholarships and am -having no luck. I did apply for Financial Aid through FAFSA so we'll see how that goes Smile I believe I can use Sophia for 81-84 credits, and Davar for an additional 18, and plug the last two in with InstantCert. I'll be applying for InstantCert next once I'm able to afford the next expense haha.

Disability pays 1/5th of what I used to make Sad

It's insane how different I feel.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • rachel83az
Hi Ashkir,

I'm really happy to hear the good news. It took a lot of heart for you to make it this far.

...excuse the pun.

Anyhow, I believe one must be an enrolled student to lock in a course catalogue. This isn't a big deal because they don't seem to have changed much in July. To be enrolled you have to take a course or a tecep at TESU. The cheapest way to go is to take the $50 1-credit Medical Terminology tecep. I went this route and never took the test and am enrolled. Who knows, you may do well on this test having had all that unfortunate experience in hospitals. Then there are the 3 credit teceps that may be of interest to you, I think they are $150...Once you do this you have unlimited academic evaluations and your catalogue locked in for a year, at which point you'd have to take another course or tecep to stay enrolled. I like to get new courses on my evaluation pretty regularly so big changes won't effect me.
Good luck man, you've got this!
(09-14-2020, 03:18 PM)ARhead Wrote: Hi Ashkir,

I'm really happy to hear the good news. It took a lot of heart for you to make it this far.

...excuse the pun.

Anyhow, I believe one must be an enrolled student to lock in a course catalogue. This isn't a big deal because they don't seem to have changed much in July. To be enrolled you have to take a course or a tecep at TESU. The cheapest way to go is to take the $50 1-credit Medical Terminology tecep. I went this route and never took the test and am enrolled. Who knows, you may do well on this test having had all that unfortunate experience in hospitals. Then there are the 3 credit teceps that may be of interest to you, I think they are $150...Once you do this you have unlimited academic evaluations and your catalogue locked in for a year, at which point you'd have to take another course or tecep to stay enrolled. I like to get new courses on my evaluation pretty regularly so big changes won't effect me.
Good luck man, you've got this!

I didn't think about doing the TECEP. one of the classes I need to take was through Study.com was to be in place of OPM-301-TE Operations Management. But that is TECEP with an InstantCert study guide for it... Upper level too. Very tempting :O
Congratulations. I had open heart surgery in August 2017 for congenital heart disease. I needed extra bits removed, instead of a donor heart at least. 

It's an amazing feeling, just having the improvement in circulation, isn't it? :-) My signature can show you how well I'm doing right now. I expect to graduate with the double AOS Bachelor degree from TESU in March 2021. I got my Associate's degree from TESC in 1995... 
TESU BA.LSSS 121/121, BA.PSYCH 121/121, BA in Liberal Studies-Social Sciences and Psychology: March 2021 Graduation

Since 12/5/19:
CLEP: Intro Sociology - 62, Diversity, DSST: 1/6/20 Ethics in America - 440, 1/8/20 Intro World Religions - 470
Sophia: Intro to Statistics - 95%, & many credits...
Study.com: Ethics Social Sciences 90, Into Crim Justice 91, Criminal Law 90, Forensic Science 88, Social Psychology 94
InstantCert Credit: American Government, 91 4/14/2020
Coopersmith: Drugs and Society, Jewish Rabbinic Counseling, Hist and Sys of Psych, Modern Jewish American History, Physio Psych, Sociology of Jewish Food, JST-225 Laws of Blessings 9/16/22, BIB-376 Trees and Plants of the Bible 12/21/22
UExcel Social Psych: A, 1/26/21
TESU: SOS-110-OL 3 cr. A-99, APS-100-OL 1 cr A-97, PSY-331-EP 3 cr 87, PSY322 Research Exp Psych - A 95 3 cr, SOC291 Criminology A98 3 cr, PSY-300EP Thanatology 3 cr 80, HIS210GS Am Civil Rights Movement History 3 cr A, LIB-495OL Hansen A 3cr
TECEPs: PSY-270 2/3/20,  SOC-210 2/10/20, PSY-350 2/17/20, ETH-210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Uncle Tom Movie Now Free on YouTube LevelUP 5 1,247 07-22-2022, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Free Pair of Prescription Glasses! Add-ons available... bjcheung77 7 1,250 05-12-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  PDF Converter by Readdle (Free for ios - ipad/iphone) bjcheung77 0 723 01-10-2022, 02:02 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  FREE editing and video production software bjcheung77 11 3,477 11-20-2021, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Eneys
  Amazon Prime: FREE Battlefield 1 Origin Key! Expires Aug. 4, 2021 bjcheung77 5 1,306 08-03-2021, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  [Google Play] "Human" Documentary Movie FREE *Rental* bjcheung77 0 670 07-19-2021, 07:47 PM
  [Microsoft Store] Free PDF Manager - Merge, Split, Trim bjcheung77 5 1,561 07-07-2021, 08:59 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  FREE - Amazon.com - Python and OpenGL (Kindle Edition) bjcheung77 1 811 07-06-2021, 10:01 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Lego Bonsai Tree $49.99 with FREE McLaren Elva bjcheung77 2 810 06-09-2021, 11:14 AM
Last Post: StoicJ
  Macrium Reflect 7 freebie (and paid version with free upgrade to 8) bjcheung77 0 929 04-16-2021, 08:29 PM