Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FREE Tuition for SUNY Schools proposed by Governor Andrew Cuomo (New York State)
Cuomo seeks free SUNY tuition for those making under $125,000 - The Buffalo News

Interesting!

EDIT: SUNY means State University of New York, in other words, they are New York's "State Colleges/Universities".
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
I live in NY and I'm against this the same reason I was against Bernie Sanders proposal

I don't want my taxes to pay for somebody to go to college and study history, psychology, communications, criminal justice, gender studies and a bunch of other useless majors

yeah, useless

32 thousand for a bachelors just so you can work in Starbucks ?

I think its different for most everyone on this board

most of us already have jobs, careers even
and we just need a degree for the HR checkbox or to move up in our job

we have the experience, we have the job

that's totally different form some 19 years old who wants to major in history because its interesting

heck yeah, I wholeheartedly agree -- it IS interesting

but its not really going to help you get a job in 4 years

what are you going to be ?
bank teller ?
secretary ?
customer service rep ?

I'd even be against it if it were just for STEM and allied health majors

I think people try harder when they have to pay for it

if Chemistry is hard ...
so what its free
just drop the course
you don't lose any money
screw around and take an easier course next semester

argh, hate Cuomo
same fool who today vetoed the "gravity knife" reform
Toastmaster Wrote:Cuomo seeks free SUNY tuition for those making under $125,000 - The Buffalo News

Interesting!

EDIT: SUNY means State University of New York, in other words, they are New York's "State Colleges/Universities".

Do I have to live in NY? I live in NJ. :/
Yes.

(10 characters)

creditmonsoon Wrote:Do I have to live in NY? I live in NJ. :/
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
We've been talking about this on the sister forum.

Important to note- this is only for their public education system (community and state colleges) and is a last dollar award. IMO, not worth the hype. This is a whole lotta nothing meant to attract media attention.

Average tuition in NY for the colleges being discussed is roughly $6,800/year. Pell is deducted first (roughly $5,600) so the big to-do here is providing the student about somewhere around $1,200. I get that dorm adds cost if you are not at a community college... BUT.....can we please just make kids pay part of their own education? My 9 year old son made that the first year of his gumball business. Seriously. Having a $1200 balance assumes no academic scholarship, no athletic scholarship, no Rotary scholarship, no Chick-fil-a scholarship, no anything......

My opinion is that this does not ENCOURAGE smart spending, smart borrowing, or smart planning.

I've said it before, but if we want to pay for part of a student's education, let's pay for grad school - the students in that application pool have already demonstrated all the signs of readiness and grit that eat freshman for lunch.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,538 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 30,179 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SUNY accepted upper level class jg_nuy 10 538 03-05-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 466 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
Exclamation Schools that list A+'s on transcript in any way? JumbledSpirit 3 455 02-19-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 410 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  MBA students receive free Apple Vision Pro Imbanewbie 0 303 02-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 216 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor
  ‘We did it together’: New York mother and daughter graduate college on same day LevelUP 0 204 12-22-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 698 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso