Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Applying to TESU w/out SSN
Has anyone applied to TESU without an SSN?

I grew up outside of the US, so my dad didn't apply for one when I was young as he thought it was unnecessary at the time.

I tried to do the online application but you have to enter that info, and a US address. Is there another way to apply to TESU?

I know there are some students on here who aren't living in the US but are studying with TESU. I'm so new to all this and would really appreciate some advice!
Are you a US citizen? If so you can still get an SSN, regardless of your dad forgetting. You need to fill out a form with the SSA and provide suitable proof of identity and citizenship. If you can't get one (ineligible), you can get an ITIN instead, which has the same format and is used for the same purposes.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
alzee Wrote:Are you a US citizen? If so you can still get an SSN, regardless of your dad forgetting. You need to fill out a form with the SSA and provide suitable proof of identity and citizenship. If you can't get one (ineligible), you can get an ITIN instead, which has the same format and is used for the same purposes.

I am a US citizen, and have looked into getting an SSN and have been in contact with the embassies, etc, but because of missing and misplaced paperwork, and dad deceased, I need to apply within the US. Given my current situation I cannot move back right now.
I will look into ITIN.

Meanwhile, do you think passport info, etc would work?
I would just call them and explain. I'm sure there have been other instances where people didn't have a SSN. I currently live overseas and I used my parents address for the application. I'm still technically a resident in their state even though I haven't lived there in over 4 years and haven't even been there in almost 3. Do you have a family member who would let you use their address? I would make sure that there are no extra costs for anything for being an "international" student before using an international address.
icy Wrote:I am a US citizen, and have looked into getting an SSN and have been in contact with the embassies, etc, but because of missing and misplaced paperwork, and dad deceased, I need to apply within the US. Given my current situation I cannot move back right now.
I will look into ITIN.

ITINs are only for people that aren't eligible for an SSN. You'll have to lie to the feds to get one, and that's not smart. Wink
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
alzee Wrote:Are you a US citizen? If so you can still get an SSN, regardless of your dad forgetting. You need to fill out a form with the SSA and provide suitable proof of identity and citizenship. If you can't get one (ineligible), you can get an ITIN instead, which has the same format and is used for the same purposes.

Icy,

Do you have a U.S passport? If so you will be free to enter the United States at any time you wish. If you haven't got the passport you'll need to get that sorted first. The social security administration should be able to give you proper direction in this matter
As an immigrant to the United States I know I needed a physical address for them to send the actual card to. I actually lived in an apartment that didn't have a mailbox and all the tenants used the post office but the Social Security Administration would only mail it to the building, I had some help from the postal service people who were willing to hold the mail addressed to the building and give it to me when they issued it to me.

You'll probably have to start on the paper trail way before you think of enrolling at any of the schools as a student. The tuition rates for international students are expensive and if you plan this right your cost will be much reduced.

Your first step is to determine your Fathers information, DOB and his social security number and if he filed taxes in the United States while resident overseas.
The US requires its citizens to file taxes even if we are resident in another country. Not many people do it since its such a pain and the possibility of double taxation if you earn too much money exists. Do you know what State your father was born in or Do you have a copy of his birth certificate.

2. Establish an address in the United States with relatives or former military or work colleagues who might let you use their address.

3. Get yourself over here and start the process of getting yourself a social security number It takes a number of weeks to have them send it out.

4. Get your foreign education evaluated by whatever your school requires. ECE in Milwaukee Wisconsin was required for Excelsior. Even if you only have taken high school n your resident country you will need that evaluated and possibly officially translated beforehand depending on what languages it is.

Then start thinking about enrolling in the school. This way your new social security number is tagged to your education so its traceable if you take a second degree like a Masters or decide to move schools or get married and your name changes.

There are inspirations on here who have worked on getting there degree from overseas by taking multiple tests the same week while on vacation in the U.S so you can do this with a bit of planning
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
EI2HCB Wrote:Icy,

Do you have a U.S passport?

A U.S. passport is the "holy grail" it counts for all forms of ID in the US. So if you have one is it a Citizen Passport or a different version. Because if you have the same US passport as me you are a citizen with a SSN already. I had to prove so many different things in order to get a US Passport so I am a little confused on the situation.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
EI2HCB Wrote:Icy,

Do you have a U.S passport? If so you will be free to enter the United States at any time you wish. If you haven't got the passport you'll need to get that sorted first. The social security administration should be able to give you proper direction in this matter
As an immigrant to the United States I know I needed a physical address for them to send the actual card to. I actually lived in an apartment that didn't have a mailbox and all the tenants used the post office but the Social Security Administration would only mail it to the building, I had some help from the postal service people who were willing to hold the mail addressed to the building and give it to me when they issued it to me.

You'll probably have to start on the paper trail way before you think of enrolling at any of the schools as a student. The tuition rates for international students are expensive and if you plan this right your cost will be much reduced.

Your first step is to determine your Fathers information, DOB and his social security number and if he filed taxes in the United States while resident overseas.
The US requires its citizens to file taxes even if we are resident in another country. Not many people do it since its such a pain and the possibility of double taxation if you earn too much money exists. Do you know what State your father was born in or Do you have a copy of his birth certificate.

2. Establish an address in the United States with relatives or former military or work colleagues who might let you use their address.

3. Get yourself over here and start the process of getting yourself a social security number It takes a number of weeks to have them send it out.

4. Get your foreign education evaluated by whatever your school requires. ECE in Milwaukee Wisconsin was required for Excelsior. Even if you only have taken high school n your resident country you will need that evaluated and possibly officially translated beforehand depending on what languages it is.

Then start thinking about enrolling in the school. This way your new social security number is tagged to your education so its traceable if you take a second degree like a Masters or decide to move schools or get married and your name changes.

There are inspirations on here who have worked on getting there degree from overseas by taking multiple tests the same week while on vacation in the U.S so you can do this with a bit of planning

My dad has passed away so I can't get his help on this. I was born outside of the US, but have I am a citizen with a US citizen's passport and US citizen's birth certificate. You have to apply for an SSN when your child is born with the US embassy, you don't receive them automatically and my dad didn't do that, so I don't have one. (Maybe it's automatic now?)
I can't move to the States now because I'm caring for my family (I'm a parent) and my youngest siblings in Asia. So I don't have that option as of now.

UPDATE:For anyone who is facing the same thing as me, I just want to let you know that I was accepted at TESU, it's just a bit more work but it can be done!
FYI, you can get an SSN, you just have to do it in person -- this does not mean you have to move back to the US, but you might need to spend a few days or week there. I'd call the SSA and find someone who knows more to talk to.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,973 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,101 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,636 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,728 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,341 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,586 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,321 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,372 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,857 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore