ASU online tuition is roughly equivalent to az resident on campus tuition

https://asuonline.asu.edu/what-it-costs
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
How about finding a less expensive 4-yr school to do your Bio courses, and then transfer to TESU to finish up?

If you put your credits here, I can give you a degree plan for TESU's BA in Biology. Then it's up to you to figure out how to get the UL credits you need for the program. I'm sure there are people on here who can give you some advice on specific courses, rather than an entire program.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-20-2018, 12:13 PM)dfrecore Wrote: How about finding a less expensive 4-yr school to do your Bio courses, and then transfer to TESU to finish up?

If you put your credits here, I can give you a degree plan for TESU's BA in Biology.  Then it's up to you to figure out how to get the UL credits you need for the program.  I'm sure there are people on here who can give you some advice on specific courses, rather than an entire program.

Idea   I could do that. Do you know if TESU is cheaper than other schools? Like ASU and UF online?
(09-20-2018, 12:59 PM)Tennesseegirl87 Wrote:
(09-20-2018, 12:13 PM)dfrecore Wrote: How about finding a less expensive 4-yr school to do your Bio courses, and then transfer to TESU to finish up?

If you put your credits here, I can give you a degree plan for TESU's BA in Biology.  Then it's up to you to figure out how to get the UL credits you need for the program.  I'm sure there are people on here who can give you some advice on specific courses, rather than an entire program.

Idea   I could do that. Do you know if TESU is cheaper than other schools? Like ASU and UF online?

I don't know prices.  For TESU though, I know that they'll take 117cr of transfer including ACE/NCCRS.  So that's why I'm thinking if you can figure out an inexpensive (relatively) way to get the UL courses you need, then you can transfer everything to TESU and finish your last semester there and pay the tuition for the capstone, and the residency waiver, through them (plus a final couple of courses to make you full time or whatever you need to do for that).

I honestly don't know how financial aid works though, so you'll have to get help elsewhere on that.  I have zero knowledge, and no reason to learn about it - so I'm about the worst person to ask.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Tennesseegirl87
TESU is an option but I'm not sure how that would work using fin aid. If you get the Pell at TESU, it's spread between 4 quarters but you have to take at least 6 credits per semester to use it(I got ~$4000 so that's $1k a semester which would only cover 1 course). Since the TESU ba biology will require most of the aos course to come from outside tesu. You can jump through some hoops to get them to approve your finaid to be used at a different school. TESU will ONLY approve that if it's a course that they don't offer. It gets pretty complicated, honestly. And they don't seem willing to make it easy for you to do that(I tried).
It may require some serious research to find some cheaper online programs or cheap courses to transfer.

Some potential options:
-apply for as many scholarships as possible (I think you mentioned before that you are a single mother, lots of scholarships and programs for someone in your situation)
-inquire if your work(or another job) will pay for your school
-drop to part time at your current job and take a part time job at Starbucks to pay for an asu degree
- look for other online or local colleges that are more affordable than ASU
- stick with asu and your current financial aid package but take on the loans to cover the difference

None of these options will necessarily be easy and may require some sacrifices for the next few years while you live that fulltime working mother fulltime student Life.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • Muldoon, Tennesseegirl87
(09-20-2018, 01:43 PM)MNomadic Wrote: TESU is an option but I'm not sure how that would work using fin aid. If you get the Pell at TESU, it's spread between 4 quarters but you have to take at least 6 credits per semester to use it(I got ~$4000 so that's $1k a semester which would only cover 1 course). Since the TESU ba biology will require most of the aos course to come from outside tesu. You can jump through some hoops to get them to approve your finaid to be used at a different school. TESU will ONLY approve that if it's a course that they don't offer. It gets pretty complicated, honestly. And they don't seem willing to make it easy for you to do that(I tried).
It may require some serious research to find some cheaper online programs or cheap courses to transfer.

I was thinking that you should use your financial aid somewhere else completely before transferring to TESU - not trying to use your financial aid at TESU and still take the course elsewhere.  That seems like more trouble than it's worth honestly.
If you can find a cheaper school with enough online biology courses, then you might as well get your degree there. If you take the piecemeal approach, then you won't be able to use financial aid. That means no Pell Grant and paying thousands of dollars out of pocket. You might be able to figure out a way to complete a BS in Natural Science with a concentration in Biology at Excelsior for much less, but that's not really a biology degree. It's an interdisciplinary program with fewer math and physical science requirements.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Since you already have an Associates, ASU should be only two more years - and with the Pell Grant (works as a tuition discount) is not a bad cost for a RA BS in Biology from a respected university.  Also, with your career plans a BS (vs a BA) is the way to go.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(09-22-2018, 03:17 PM)allvia Wrote: Since you already have an Associates, ASU should be only two more years - and with the Pell Grant (works as a tuition discount) is not a bad cost for a RA BS in Biology from a respected university.  Also, with your career plans a BS (vs a BA) is the way to go.

BS vs. BA makes no difference.

Speaking of BA vs. BS, I would recommend University of Florida's online BA over ASU's online BS because UF has a much better reputation in biology at the undergraduate level and a much better reputation overall. UF does have an online BS in Microbiology that might be more relevant to the work you want to do.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-22-2018, 03:44 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(09-22-2018, 03:17 PM)allvia Wrote: Since you already have an Associates, ASU should be only two more years - and with the Pell Grant (works as a tuition discount) is not a bad cost for a RA BS in Biology from a respected university.  Also, with your career plans a BS (vs a BA) is the way to go.

BS vs. BA makes no difference.

Speaking of BA vs. BS, I would recommend University of Florida's online BA over ASU's online BS because UF has a much better reputation in biology at the undergraduate level and a much better reputation overall. UF does have an online BS in Microbiology that might be more relevant to the work you want to do.

The OP is concerned about cost, the UF program you are speaking of is far more expensive at a $552 Per Credit cost https://ufonline.ufl.edu/tuition

Where I'm located a BS vs BA could matter in a STEM major, such as biology; it is possible in the southern US it would not impact one professionally.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 Ways to Achieve Financial Security Abroad Kal Di 2 606 05-15-2022, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
Information Pell Grant recipients and others can apply for Emergency Broadband Benefit Program MNomadic 2 898 05-16-2021, 03:34 AM
Last Post: jch
  Bennett Hypothesis: Financial Aid Increases Tuition sanantone 60 7,276 07-01-2018, 05:34 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Pell Grant Question Kirsten 3 1,625 09-17-2017, 06:45 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Pell Grant Question Fortune212 4 1,640 11-24-2016, 03:12 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Financial Aid Question videogamesrock 0 775 02-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Grant Legal Status to Romeikes-Homeschool Petition TayTay 17 2,591 04-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Financial Aid STG 6 2,202 08-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Last Post: HorseManiac
  Financial Aid FASFA skybirds 2 996 08-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Last Post: alleycat
  Formula for Pell Grant eligibility skybirds 5 1,668 06-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Last Post: surferD