Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fafsa, Pell grant, financial aid
(09-22-2018, 04:33 PM)allvia Wrote:
(09-22-2018, 03:44 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(09-22-2018, 03:17 PM)allvia Wrote: Since you already have an Associates, ASU should be only two more years - and with the Pell Grant (works as a tuition discount) is not a bad cost for a RA BS in Biology from a respected university.  Also, with your career plans a BS (vs a BA) is the way to go.

BS vs. BA makes no difference.

Speaking of BA vs. BS, I would recommend University of Florida's online BA over ASU's online BS because UF has a much better reputation in biology at the undergraduate level and a much better reputation overall. UF does have an online BS in Microbiology that might be more relevant to the work you want to do.

The OP is concerned about cost, the UF program you are speaking of is far more expensive at a $552 Per Credit cost https://ufonline.ufl.edu/tuition

Where I'm located a BS vs BA could matter in a STEM major, such as biology; it is possible in the southern US it would not impact one professionally.

They're both comparable in price:
https://asuonline.asu.edu/what-it-costs

UF is a better ranked school and program but ASU MAY be more flexible in some circumstances.

That is crazy low tuition at UF for in state, though! $129/credit hour is competitive with a lot of CCs
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(09-22-2018, 04:33 PM)allvia Wrote:
(09-22-2018, 03:44 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(09-22-2018, 03:17 PM)allvia Wrote: Since you already have an Associates, ASU should be only two more years - and with the Pell Grant (works as a tuition discount) is not a bad cost for a RA BS in Biology from a respected university.  Also, with your career plans a BS (vs a BA) is the way to go.

BS vs. BA makes no difference.

Speaking of BA vs. BS, I would recommend University of Florida's online BA over ASU's online BS because UF has a much better reputation in biology at the undergraduate level and a much better reputation overall. UF does have an online BS in Microbiology that might be more relevant to the work you want to do.

The OP is concerned about cost, the UF program you are speaking of is far more expensive at a $552 Per Credit cost https://ufonline.ufl.edu/tuition

Where I'm located a BS vs BA could matter in a STEM major, such as biology; it is possible in the southern US it would not impact one professionally.

I know UF is a little more expensive, but if I had to choose between the two, I would choose UF even though the general biology program is a BA. 

Ultimately, what matters is the courses that are taken because there is no hard rule on classifying a degree as a BA or BS. Some schools, such as Harvard, do not offer BS programs for liberal arts subjects. A Harvard grad is going to beat out an ASU grad with all else being equal. 

Who would be better prepared for the job? Someone who earned a BA in Biology from TESU or someone who earned a BS in Natural Science/Biology from Excelsior? The TESU student is required to take physics I and II, chemistry I and II, biology I and II, and organic chemistry I and II all with labs. The Excelsior program doesn't require any of those. If one wants to become a medical laboratory scientist, then ASCP certification should be the ultimate goal, and ASCP doesn't care if you have a BA or BS.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I'm going to agree with Sanantone and say that BA vs. BS is irrelevant, and should not guide your choice. The actual courses required for the major are what's important.

For example, many schools have Computer Science as a BA. And some schools don't even offer BS's at all.

Really, you should have an idea of what you want to do with your degree career-wise, and then plan your degree accordingly. If the school you want offers a BA instead of a BS, but has the courses you want/need, then that is the important thing to consider.

Also, at many schools, the difference between a BS and a BA is the number of liberal arts courses you take, most of which are LL. Again, having nothing to do with the major.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
sorry to bring back this older post. I've gone through and searched individual schools that are less pricey. I'm not really getting anywhere. I have some FinAid left for the year so I'm going to take 2 more classes at NMJC, I'm considering doing English 1 since I completed it at study.com and I'm getting some blow back on it every time I send my transcripts out. Anyways, here is what I'm down too, take as many classes as possible online (up to 90) and transfer to University of Memphis to finish out bio degree, go the TESU route, or go in debt for ASU. I did find Oregon State University has a couple of science degrees I may be able to get away with or even take classes there and then transfer them into U of M. BUT, they use a quarter hour system so not only does it confuse me, I think this means there price is actually about the same as ASU. I'm going to attach my credits. Thoughts? New info?

Attached Files
.xlsx   Associate of Science.xlsx (Size: 11.57 KB / Downloads: 7)
(10-09-2018, 09:14 AM)Tennesseegirl87 Wrote: sorry to bring back this older post. I've gone through and searched individual schools that are less pricey. I'm not really getting anywhere. I have some FinAid left for the year so I'm going to take 2 more classes at NMJC, I'm considering doing English 1 since I completed it at study.com and I'm getting some blow back on it every time I send my transcripts out. Anyways, here is what I'm down too, take as many classes as possible online (up to 90) and transfer to University of Memphis to finish out bio degree, go the TESU route, or go in debt for ASU. I did find Oregon State University has a couple of science degrees I may be able to get away with or even take classes there and then transfer them into U of M. BUT, they use a quarter hour system so not only does it confuse me, I think this means there price is actually about the same as ASU. I'm going to attach my credits. Thoughts? New info?

Don't apologise for bringing this thread back up. I was actually wondering how it all worked out for you.

Yeah most conventional universities outside of the big 3(and a few others) don't care for alternative credits. So taking a few more courses through NMJC may be your best bet.

As for which degree you should get... I'm not sure. I'm not really familiar with that field to know which would best fit your situation.

Best of luck wither way.

Btw, completing a few more of your requirements through a more affordable route before transferring to a more expensive school is definitely a good idea. Looking at what you have, most biology programs are probably going to require some chemistry, physics 1, higher math up to calculus 1 and first year English composition (1 & 2). Those are classes you should be able to find at cheap CCs/online or do through CLEP.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
<<No, I live in Tennessee. ASU said the cost is $520 per credit hour for online students. The $1700 pell grant amount per semester is if I go full time which I plan on doing. I currently work in a lab and I'd like to transfer to St.Jude or do some type of lab work for the state. I haven't made a solid plan yet so Biology was the safest degree to cover me wherever I decided to go.>>

That seems too low for the Pell. The 2018-2019 Pell max is just at $6000 per year. If you're doing 2 semesters only (not 3?) then it should be closer to $3000/semester. Now, even if you got the full amount, at $520/credit, you'd have to take 12 credits which would be $6240 per semester, so there is no way the math works for THIS school using only Pell.

But, to work it from the other direction, taking $6000 per year divided by 30 (credits in a year) gives you a "per credit" target of $200. It will be VERY challenging to find a way to earn 300/400 level credit at a university that also already accepts your full associate's degree AND is in that price range. More typical is a traditional instate college/uni which would be a bit closer to $250/credit but unlikely to take all of your associate's (because it is not from TN).

I think you might want to start looking at the NM state universities that have articulation agreements with NMJC. There might be hidden gems in there and they would be perfect transfer PLUS much closer to the target price point you're trying to hit.

Edit to add links:
Your NMJC degree is guaranteed full transfer here: http://www.nmjc.edu/assets/documents/Uni...0Basin.pdf
(10-09-2018, 12:24 PM)cookderosa Wrote: <<No, I live in Tennessee. ASU said the cost is $520 per credit hour for online students. The $1700 pell grant amount per semester is if I go full time which I plan on doing. I currently work in a lab and I'd like to transfer to St.Jude or do some type of lab work for the state. I haven't made a solid plan yet so Biology was the safest degree to cover me wherever I decided to go.>>

That seems too low for the Pell.  The 2018-2019 Pell max is just at $6000 per year.  If you're doing 2 semesters only (not 3?) then it should be closer to $3000/semester.  Now, even if you got the full amount, at $520/credit, you'd have to take 12 credits which would be $6240 per semester, so there is no way the math works for THIS school using only Pell.  

But, to work it from the other direction, taking $6000 per year divided by 30 (credits in a year) gives you a "per credit" target of $200.  It will be VERY challenging to find a way to earn 300/400 level credit at a university that also already accepts your full associate's degree AND is in that price range.  More typical is a traditional instate college/uni which would be a bit closer to $250/credit but unlikely to take all of your associate's (because it is not from TN).  

I think you might want to start looking at the NM state universities that have articulation agreements with NMJC.  There might be hidden gems in there and they would be perfect transfer PLUS much closer to the target price point you're trying to hit.

Edit to add links:
Your NMJC degree is guaranteed full transfer here: http://www.nmjc.edu/assets/documents/Uni...0Basin.pdf

Just because a person is eligible for a Pell Grant does not mean they are eligible for the full (max) amount.  It is not a flat amount award, each person is awarded a different amount based on 'need' (which can vary upon numerous factors). The awarded amount isn't directly linked to the school or tuition cost. So a person would get a Pell grant amount that would generally just go farther at a CC than a 4yr University (which is what this OP has experienced)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

In-state school makes sense, or going slower so that the grant covers more of the tuition. For some people, a loan might be worth it so they can finish sooner and start earning more.

I think you know already, but for most people, a Pell will not cover thousands of the costs for TESU.

Work-study programs or scholarships could be options.

(09-19-2018, 02:12 PM)Tennesseegirl87 Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 01:59 PM)allvia Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 01:31 PM)Tennesseegirl87 Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 01:16 PM)allvia Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 12:22 PM)Tennesseegirl87 Wrote: I had plans to attend Arizona State University online. They offer a BS in Biology so everything was perfect. Until they finally got back with me on the dollar amount of my financial aid I would receive.. $1700 a semester.. The total tuition is $9936. My goal is to get a Bachelors without going into debt to do it. I got an associates through NMJC and didn't have to pay a dime!!! I even had overage and was able to perfectly budget my books on ebay and amazon with the extra cash. What I'm not understanding is why is my pell grant covering so little now? Is there a secret formula I can do to find the perfect college. I don't even care about the overage amount I'd just like to break even. Are there Universities that calculate tuition costs the same as NMJC? I'm not worried about time or transferring in credits from ACE I'll take a loss on those but I am worried about cost and must be online. Any help is very much appreciated.

Is this $1700 a semester a Pell Grant?  If so then that is likely going to be the Max at any school.  NMJC tuition is just so low that this same award would cover your tuition and give you that overage you're talking about (to be used to pay for books, room and board - even if living 'at home' - and other expenses related to being a FT student.)  Am I correct that beyond this 'financial aid' they are offering you student loans to make up the difference?

yes 1700 a semester, 3400 a year. I didn't go into the student loans yet. Because everything just hit and I thought there has to be a better school. I'm pretty sure I would qualify for the loans also.

Am I correct that you live in AZ? That tuition sounds like in-state rate for a full year as a FT student.  What are your plans after earning a BS in Biology, or do you have any at this time? (it can make a difference in your options)

No, I live in Tennessee. ASU said the cost is $520 per credit hour for online students. The $1700 pell grant amount per semester is if I go full time which I plan on doing. I currently work in a lab and I'd like to transfer to St.Jude or do some type of lab work for the state. I haven't made a solid plan yet so Biology was the safest degree to cover me wherever I decided to go.

(10-09-2018, 04:55 PM)allvia Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 12:24 PM)cookderosa Wrote: <<No, I live in Tennessee. ASU said the cost is $520 per credit hour for online students. The $1700 pell grant amount per semester is if I go full time which I plan on doing. I currently work in a lab and I'd like to transfer to St.Jude or do some type of lab work for the state. I haven't made a solid plan yet so Biology was the safest degree to cover me wherever I decided to go.>>

That seems too low for the Pell.  The 2018-2019 Pell max is just at $6000 per year.  If you're doing 2 semesters only (not 3?) then it should be closer to $3000/semester.  Now, even if you got the full amount, at $520/credit, you'd have to take 12 credits which would be $6240 per semester, so there is no way the math works for THIS school using only Pell.  

But, to work it from the other direction, taking $6000 per year divided by 30 (credits in a year) gives you a "per credit" target of $200.  It will be VERY challenging to find a way to earn 300/400 level credit at a university that also already accepts your full associate's degree AND is in that price range.  More typical is a traditional instate college/uni which would be a bit closer to $250/credit but unlikely to take all of your associate's (because it is not from TN).  

I think you might want to start looking at the NM state universities that have articulation agreements with NMJC.  There might be hidden gems in there and they would be perfect transfer PLUS much closer to the target price point you're trying to hit.

Edit to add links:

Just because a person is eligible for a Pell Grant does not mean they are eligible for the full (max) amount.  It is not a flat amount award, each person is awarded a different amount based on 'need' (which can vary upon numerous factors). The awarded amount isn't directly linked to the school or tuition cost. So a person would get a Pell grant amount that would generally just go farther at a CC than a 4yr University (which is what this OP has experienced)

The amount of your award can absolutely vary by school, so it's worth looking at Plan B or Plan C schools if nothing else to see what kind of Pell you get. While she might get the max at one school, she could get it at another. It's worth looking into. https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/next-...calculated
(10-09-2018, 07:06 PM)Ideas Wrote: In-state school makes sense, or going slower so that the grant covers more of the tuition. For some people, a loan might be worth it so they can finish sooner and start earning more.

I think you know already, but for most people, a Pell will not cover thousands of the costs for TESU.

Work-study programs or scholarships could be options.

Unfortunately, some grants(like the Pell) only work if you're going to school full time(12 credits per semester or whatever that schools equivalent is).

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 Ways to Achieve Financial Security Abroad Kal Di 2 589 05-15-2022, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
Information Pell Grant recipients and others can apply for Emergency Broadband Benefit Program MNomadic 2 879 05-16-2021, 03:34 AM
Last Post: jch
  Bennett Hypothesis: Financial Aid Increases Tuition sanantone 60 7,176 07-01-2018, 05:34 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Pell Grant Question Kirsten 3 1,610 09-17-2017, 06:45 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Pell Grant Question Fortune212 4 1,630 11-24-2016, 03:12 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Financial Aid Question videogamesrock 0 766 02-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Grant Legal Status to Romeikes-Homeschool Petition TayTay 17 2,555 04-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Financial Aid STG 6 2,195 08-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Last Post: HorseManiac
  Financial Aid FASFA skybirds 2 992 08-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Last Post: alleycat
  Formula for Pell Grant eligibility skybirds 5 1,657 06-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Last Post: surferD