Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fafsa Student Loan
Can anyone tell me how it works with student loans. I was approved for a loan. I’m in excelsior but I’m taking a lot of my tests through coopersmith. I was hoping to use money to pay for those exams. When does the college send me the loan money?
I can't remember exactly but I think it's slightly different for each school. I think that's something you have to talk to EC about. They'll know exactly when you'll get funds.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Did you accept Excelsior College's finaid offer? It should show you how much you will be getting, if you wouldn't mind sharing, could you copy/paste the amounts?  Basically, Excelsior will "keep the funds" for your tuition until you enrol.  You'll have X amount left after that, these are for "school fees" such as materials, textbooks, etc. If you share your amounts, we can provide you the best course of action... as I wanted to ask, are you going to take 7 credits at Excelsior or 13 credits for just roughly $500 more?  The 7 credits are required, the extra 6 credits are cheap at $500...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
You'll need to speak to the Financial Aid office at EC about what the requirements are for how many credits you need to complete and dates they need to be completed by for disbursement. Then ask what the disbursement date will be.
Ok thank you. I accepted the offer. I’ll make sure to enroll in more classes.
Cmglaser08 Wrote:Ok thank you. I accepted the offer. I’ll make sure to enroll in more classes.

That's great! You need 7 credits already, there are 6 credits you need to hit the 13 credits. If you don't already have an Associates degree, one of the courses can be the Associates Capstone. If you're looking to get a second degree from them, those two courses can go towards the Associates Capstone & the second Bachelors Capstone. I mean, those can't be transferred, everything else can!

I spoke to them and they said I need to be enrolled for 6 credits. So far I’m enrolled in one course for 3 credits. I’m going to enroll in another course. Are excelsior courses difficult. Can I take 2 at one time?
So, you got an associates or no? Which 3 credit course did you enroll in? It's best to see what you have and need - Copy and paste your evaluation, just remove your personal details, it'll tell you what courses you are required to take. You should only take the Cornerstone/Capstone + Info Lit course in 1 term, unless you're taking 13 credits total, you can take the Cornerstone and something else + the info lit. Split the course load as evenly as possible...

I highly recommend to take something like the following together: An easy course + a harder course instead of two easy or two hard courses together, so you can split your time accordingly to complete them. Excelsior courses aren't that hard just like any other course, the amount of assignments and exams may be greater at the upper level compared to the lower level, that's why you want to even out your studies with "easy+harder" courses.

I’m getting my bachelors. I have an academic advisor who told me what to take. I took the literacy already. I’m taking the cornerstone and social psychology. I’ll register for the capstone closer to when I’m ready
Hey, Are you going for a BSLA with a concentration/focus in Psychology or a BA Psychology? It's great you have an academic advisor that is helpful and informing you what you can take.  I remember last year, I had helped an Excelsior student with planning as their academic advisor was a tad slow in providing advice.  Many schools have advisors informing students to take the course at the school vs transferring them in...

Long story short, this student finished his entire Bachelors in 5 months using Sophia.org/TEEX/CooperSmith and had finished with about 130 credits, he started with the "Cornerstone/Capstone" completed as they were on an older catalog year - transferred in the 124 credits in 5 months!  I had a private message from them, the sound of the advisor on the call after the student mentioned they'll be transferring that amount of credits in such a short time was absolute silence for a few awkward moments.

Social Psychology is one of the courses I tell students NOT to take at the school, instead, do the UEXCEL for 1/10th of the price.  Advisors will tell you to take courses through them, even if there are alternatives you can get cheaply.  So, that is the reason I asked if you're going to take 7 or 13 as I know you'll be taking courses that CAN be transferred in cheaply.  You can take one more from them that can be anything, but I highly recommend transferring everything in before you taking anything more from them.

UEXCEL Social Psychology 3 Upper Level credits can be at home for $110+proctor fee, Link: https://www.excelsior.edu/exam/social-psychology/ - Note: These are not as easy as the CooperSmith course exams you're familiar with, the content/material is based on the recommended text.  You need to prepare well to pass these type of exams.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer science for international student in 2024 Passa 6 360 02-27-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Passa
  Help - Engineering Degree for European Student Bat1234 6 587 01-06-2024, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Bat1234
Question Help - Computer Science Degree Plan International Student JohnnyBazzinga 8 893 01-04-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Hi! Prospective law school student. Need 30-ish credits to graduate within 6 months. CaughtInTheRye12 23 1,653 12-28-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  UK Student with 1st Year of BS complete already jjlumc 4 616 11-22-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Mature student seeks help with college credit/bypassing courses. Psychology oriented. Cyath 27 2,344 11-12-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Accounting Student looking getting done fast tazmommy 5 467 09-24-2023, 01:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Returning Student TESU (WGU?) - IT Degree - Planning Help jmr1hcr 7 572 09-21-2023, 08:55 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  IT related degree for non-us student Rozmars 22 1,922 08-25-2023, 04:03 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
Question 19 year old International Student needs your help IReallyNeedADegree 50 3,993 06-11-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree