Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charter Oak struggles as well, not just Excelsior
(06-17-2018, 10:03 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 09:54 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: sanantone 

Assessment Colleges go back (1971-87) before UExcels exams.  Read some of the older Dr. Bears Guides on the Big 3 he loved them.  UExcels exams came later.  The Big 3 were all "Assessment Colleges."  100% credits were transferred in.  None of the Big 3 had courses or exams.  Generally, 100% of credits came from B&M colleges.  These students just paid an annual fee and transferred credits in.  The Big 3 helped make a legit RA degree for adults who fell through the cracks like military students who moved often before the internet.  [/size][/b][/size]

You mean that no one took CLEP back then? CLEP has been around since 1968. I think TESU (formerly TESC) started offering online courses in the 1980s. They probably didn't have a lot of students, though. Did the Big 3 ever offer correspondence courses? Those have been around forever. Penn Foster is over 100 years old.

I am not sure!  100% of my credits came from 5 real B&M colleges in my first Big 3 degree.  I did have some military ACE credits but they were not needed.  I do NOT remember exam options.  Computers and internet were not around yet.  Typewriters were the norm.  Rich kids had electric and poor kids manual typewriters. Big Grin   All my communications with USNY (Excelsior College first name) was by mail and took a month.  I paid an annual enrollment fee to USNY.  In many ways, USNY was much easier to deal with than Excelsior college.  Quarter hour classes were OK to meet the course standard.   I just needed to add more business hours overall.  Today TESU is a pain about this.  Not so back then.  I had a mixture of SH and QTR hours college credits.  My capstone business class (today's term not used then) was BUS 453 Business Policy & Strategy at the University of Oregon (easy class).
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Assessment Colleges go back (1971-87) before UExcels exams.  Read some of the older Dr. Bears Guides on the Big 3 he loved them.  UExcels exams came later.  The Big 3 were all "Assessment Colleges."  100% credits were transferred in.  None of the Big 3 had courses or exams.  Generally, 100% of credits came from B&M colleges.  These students just paid an annual fee and transferred credits in.  The Big 3 helped make a legit RA degree for adults who fell through the cracks like military students who moved often before the internet.  [/size][/b][/size]

If I am understanding what you are stating, it's sort of what I was envisioning for the 21st Century model - "Generally, 100% of credits came from B&M colleges.  These students just paid an annual fee and transferred credits in.  The Big 3 helped make a legit RA degree for adults who fell through the cracks..." - There are so many people start and restart and have had made multiple attempts at earning credit for degrees they may never have finished and in the process have accumulates a lot of credit, but then have nothing to do with it. They need someplace to turn where they can earn a degree. I know that's sort of what the Big 3 are doing, but EC isn't always the most affordable option either as you have a hefty residency fee if you take less than 12 credits, and their tuition is pricier than other options out there many times.
(06-18-2018, 06:26 PM)miah Wrote:

If I am understanding what you are stating, it's sort of what I was envisioning for the 21st Century model - "Generally, 100% of credits came from B&M colleges.  These students just paid an annual fee and transferred credits in.  The Big 3 helped make a legit RA degree for adults who fell through the cracks..." - There are so many people start and restart and have had made multiple attempts at earning credit for degrees they may never have finished and in the process have accumulates a lot of credit, but then have nothing to do with it. They need someplace to turn where they can earn a degree. I know that's sort of what the Big 3 are doing, but EC isn't always the most affordable option either as you have a hefty residency fee if you take less than 12 credits, and their tuition is pricier than other options out there many times.

Your model of the 21st century was already done.   The Big 3 were exactly that.  Sadly, they have migrated from the original charters and maybe became too big.    I hope they slowly move back?  I am not seeing it.  The Big 3 started to see themselves as real colleges which they are not.  They were better in my opinion. Big Grin
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

You can still transfer up to 114-117 credits. Almost every other college requires a 25% residency requirement. The Big 3 are also the most generous with giving credits for PLAs, ACE/NCCRS credits, military training, certifications and professional licenses, and CLEP/DSST. We still have a lot of people here who only take one or two courses with the Big 3 to finish up their degrees.

I earned four degrees from TESU without taking a single course from them. Now, students have to take a capstone course, but it could be much worse. The upside that some might be forgetting is that there are more degree offerings, and several companies have sprung up that give students more cheap options. When I first enrolled at TESU, you couldn't test out of most of their degrees. The expectation was that you would already have the credits from a B&M school. That kind of defeats the purpose of trying to save money.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(06-18-2018, 11:18 PM)sanantone Wrote: You can still transfer up to 114-117 credits. Almost every other college requires a 25% residency requirement. The Big 3 are also the most generous with giving credits for PLAs, ACE/NCCRS credits, military training, certifications and professional licenses, and CLEP/DSST. We still have a lot of people here who only take one or two courses with the Big 3 to finish up their degrees.

I earned four degrees from TESU without taking a single course from them. Now, students have to take a capstone course, but it could be much worse. The upside that some might be forgetting is that there are more degree offerings, and several companies have sprung up that give students more cheap options. When I first enrolled at TESU, you couldn't test out of most of their degrees. The expectation was that you would already have the credits from a B&M school. That kind of defeats the purpose of trying to save money.

I agree. I'm not sure what the complaining is about.  There are SO many options to get a degree at the Big 3, including multiple degree choices.  When I first started, just about the only options were CLEP, DSST, UExcel, and a few TECEP exams.  If you weren't a good tester, you were screwed.  Now there are a TON of options - SL, Study.com, ALEKS, Saylor, Shmoop, ACTFL, Davar, Ed4Credit, Coopersmith, Sophia, Propero - it's practically unlimited, the number of courses you can find for less than $300 each (and most less than $100).  

People don't know how good they have it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Life Long Learning

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,671 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,047 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,801 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,131 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,852 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,264 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 943 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,235 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,748 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,201 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning