Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fall 2021 Session 1 -- What is YOURPace?
(09-20-2021, 11:32 AM)BetaBen Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 10:06 AM)ashkir Wrote: Capstone time. Remember that last class where I said I had 200 pages worth of essays? Guess which professor I have again. That same one.

Milestone 1. 3 essays of 3 different academic case studies.

Milestone 2 a 5 page essay that is APA 6 format.... Eww.

Milestone 3 a 10 page essay.

Milestone 4 a 3 page essay.

Milestone 5 a 3 slide powerpoint (gonna have to double check this, seems way too easy).

Milestone 6 3 page essay in APA 6 again (eww) about a case study that is over a half-century old.

Milestone 7, 5 page essay.

Milestone 8, 3 page essay.

Over half of the articles I've seen so far are behind paywalls (So this will be fun). This is also for concept 1 (UMPI classes typically have 4 concepts). So this is 35 pages of essays for a single concept.
Wow. That seems excessive, especially since there are only 2 months in a session. I hope the final assessment at least incorporates the milestones. 
Does UMPI pay for the paywall costs? Or, is that up to you?  Undecided
It does not incorporate the milestones for this final. But most classes do incorporate the milestones in a way. Mostly asking you to refer back tot he theories or like in Change Management half the milestones was about learning about matrixes and change, then putting it together as a draft, then turning that into a powerpoint, than into an excel sheet, than into your final essay (20 pages, 20 slides, and a matrix of 45 boxes).
(09-20-2021, 10:06 AM)ashkir Wrote: Over half of the articles I've seen so far are behind paywalls (So this will be fun).

https://archive.vn/ gets through paywalls.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • BetaBen
(09-20-2021, 12:31 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 10:06 AM)ashkir Wrote: Over half of the articles I've seen so far are behind paywalls (So this will be fun).

https://archive.vn/ gets through paywalls.

oooh thank you! I usually use Outline. I'm reporting these to UMPI anyways as the articles are guaranteed to be part of our tuition.
[-] The following 3 users Like ashkir's post:
  • BetaBen, Novo, ss20ts
(09-20-2021, 10:06 AM)ashkir Wrote: Capstone time. Remember that last class where I said I had 200 pages worth of essays? Guess which professor I have again. That same one.

Milestone 1. 3 essays of 3 different academic case studies.

Milestone 2 a 5 page essay that is APA 6 format.... Eww.

Milestone 3 a 10 page essay.

Milestone 4 a 3 page essay.

Milestone 5 a 3 slide powerpoint (gonna have to double check this, seems way too easy).

Milestone 6 3 page essay in APA 6 again (eww) about a case study that is over a half-century old.

Milestone 7, 5 page essay.

Milestone 8, 3 page essay.

Over half of the articles I've seen so far are behind paywalls (So this will be fun). This is also for concept 1 (UMPI classes typically have 4 concepts). So this is 35 pages of essays for a single concept.

APA 6? That went away a few years ago!
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • BetaBen, Novo
(09-18-2021, 11:53 AM)BetaBen Wrote: Anyone have thoughts on BUS 200: Business Computing? It looks like it has changed from the original IT paper that Ashkir talked about. Now it is about a topic of your choosing with a Word brochure, Excel sheets, and a PowerPoint (no voiceover). It is available in this session.

I'm in this class right now, working on my third milestone. It is a very easy class workload-wise and a nice refresher of the Microsoft suite. You're right about the final, and the topic is anything you choose, but it does need approval. I'm doing mine on k-pop. The milestones are the building blocks of the final; getting topic approval and starting a brochure, starting an Excel workbook, and a few slides of a PowerPoint.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sksandorff90's post:
  • BetaBen
(09-21-2021, 03:13 PM)sksandorff90 Wrote:
(09-18-2021, 11:53 AM)BetaBen Wrote: Anyone have thoughts on BUS 200: Business Computing? It looks like it has changed from the original IT paper that Ashkir talked about. Now it is about a topic of your choosing with a Word brochure, Excel sheets, and a PowerPoint (no voiceover). It is available in this session.

I'm in this class right now, working on my third milestone. It is a very easy class workload-wise and a nice refresher of the Microsoft suite. You're right about the final, and the topic is anything you choose, but it does need approval. I'm doing mine on k-pop. The milestones are the building blocks of the final; getting topic approval and starting a brochure, starting an Excel workbook, and a few slides of a PowerPoint.

Thanks for your response! I think I will go for BUS 200 as I wouldn't mind brushing up on my Excel skills. It's also great that the milestones tie in with the final.
UMPI YourPace: BA Business Administration in Management and Leadership with a Minor in Management Information Systems. Completed: October 2021

[-] The following 1 user Likes BetaBen's post:
  • Novo
(09-21-2021, 03:59 PM)BetaBen Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 03:13 PM)sksandorff90 Wrote:

Thanks for your response! I think I will go for BUS 200 as I wouldn't mind brushing up on my Excel skills. It's also great that the milestones tie in with the final.

I think this class should be part of the general curriculum tbh. As someone who primarily uses a Mac and has been surviving with Google docs, it's nice to have the review on Microsoft office suite. I was in a musical theatre conservatory during my early 20's instead of university, and I've never had a real reason to use Excel, or even Powerpoint after highschool. I wish I had taken this sort of class at the very beginning of my degree journey.
[-] The following 2 users Like sksandorff90's post:
  • BetaBen, Novo
(09-21-2021, 09:19 PM)sksandorff90 Wrote: I think this class should be part of the general curriculum tbh. As someone who primarily uses a Mac and has been surviving with Google docs, it's nice to have the review on Microsoft office suite. I was in a musical theatre conservatory during my early 20's instead of university, and I've never had a real reason to use Excel, or even Powerpoint after highschool. I wish I had taken this sort of class at the very beginning of my degree journey.

This class sounds entirely different than when I took it last year! The Strut class was called Fundamentals of Information Technology. I had to write a paper on Biggie Logistics.
Anyone else getting invites from The Society for Collegiate Leadership & Achievement (SCLA) and the UMPI chapter of The National Society of Leadership and Success (NSLS)?

Notably, NSLS partnered with CHEA/CIQG in 2020 and is recommended by ACE/NCCRS for the learning programs they provide.

They both charge a one-time fee of $95. From what I have seen, they seem to be a mixed bag when it comes to usefulness to students.

Anyone have thoughts on these honor societies and their usefulness in the workplace?
UMPI YourPace: BA Business Administration in Management and Leadership with a Minor in Management Information Systems. Completed: October 2021

[-] The following 1 user Likes BetaBen's post:
  • Novo
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...nd-Success

EDIT: In my opinion, they aren't worth anything. But my opinion isn't worth much either.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  need advice on YourPace BBA Project Mgmt and Info Systems EducationSeeker 2 30 4 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  YourPace to regular online courses? RachelB 17 724 04-05-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Yourpace psychology degree PSY 496: Practicum Schlafen 12 1,562 04-02-2024, 08:48 AM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 307 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Study Plan to Earn 30 Credits in a Single 8-week Session FM1 14 1,643 03-04-2024, 11:49 PM
Last Post: CCCollege
  Yourpace admissions emcube 3 374 02-22-2024, 12:33 AM
  Commencement question (YourPace) rrrr 4 333 02-21-2024, 01:53 PM
  I've been accepted into the Spring 2 session at UMPI! FM1 10 915 01-28-2024, 11:30 PM
  Fall 2023 Graduates/Diplomas Chankosumo 9 1,034 01-27-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: Claudia P
  Fastest UMPI YourPace degree with these credits RachelSG 4 968 01-24-2024, 05:11 PM