Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fantasy U
It's just some ideas about what a university could/should be
American higher education needs a radical rethink like this | The Kansas City Star
(07-09-2021, 08:55 PM)Alpha Wrote: It's just some ideas about what a university could/should be
American higher education needs a radical rethink like this | The Kansas City Star
Interesting! My fantasy college would require competence in science and the scientific method. I agree with needing to understand statistics. Economics and public policy -- maybe.
My fantasy would be a non-religious, non-profit university that offers accredited 1 year doctorate degrees for a grand total of under $5,000.
Completed:

Master's Degree, Coaching & Emotional Intelligence, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Business Administration, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Management, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Corporate Communication, Universidad Isabel 1
Professional Certificate, IT Support, Google
Professional Certificate, Cybersecurity Analyst, IBM
Bachelor's Degree, Liberal Studies (Management Minor), University of Maine @ Presque Isle
Honors Certificate, Business Writing, University of Colorado
Certificate, Inclusive Leadership, University of Colorado
Master Herbalist Certification, Academy of Natural Health Sciences

[-] The following 1 user Likes Kal Di's post:
  • Vle045
(07-10-2021, 08:22 AM)wow Wrote:
(07-09-2021, 08:55 PM)Alpha Wrote: It's just some ideas about what a university could/should be
Interesting! My fantasy college would require competence in science and the scientific method. I agree with needing to understand statistics. Economics and public policy -- maybe.

I agree. In addition I think American colleges (ideally high schools to be honest) should cover Constitutional Law as a requirement to get people to understand it.

And in Science, possibly basic immunology as a requirement.
My Fantasy U would be right down the middle ideologically - you would have to listen to arguments from BOTH (or more) sides! No safe spaces, no heckler's veto of speakers you don't like, no cancel culture, none of that nonsense. You'd have to learn to write and speak well, including debates in which you might have to take a side and argue the merits even if you didn't like it. The goal would be understanding of issues from many sides.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cpoteraske
The interesting thing he never talks about is helping the students land employment! He's obsessed with stats, econ, and public policy. Here's the thing about those topics. Everyone isn't great at them. Everyone isn't interested in them and has no desire to became subject matter experts in them.

UMPI was pretty much as close as to a fantasy program as I could imagine. One HUGE thing that has ALWAYS bothered me was transferring credits from community colleges to the colleges and universities in my state system. There is ZERO guarantee your CC courses will transfer to the 4 years schools in the SUNY system. WHY??? You spend 2-3 years taking all of the courses only to find out that you basically wasted your time because you transfer in 1 semester's worth of credit to the 4 year school. That is such BULL.

I'd like the option to write a paper or take an exam. I'm not someone who enjoys exams and far more comfortable writing a paper. I think that's why UMPI worked so well for me. I only had a few exams. They weren't high pressured like the exams I took at LSU which I didn't finish in the allowed time. I also learned how much I HATE Examity after LSU and won't attend another school who uses them. That just added far too much stress to the already stressful test.

(07-10-2021, 02:12 PM)Kal Di Wrote: My fantasy would be a non-religious, non-profit university that offers accredited 1 year doctorate degrees for a grand total of under $5,000.

Well that would be a fantasy! LOL I was going to say there sort of is an option that's kind of sort of but not really close now. LOL It's Virginia University of Lynchburg. But it's a Christian university. It is non-profit. It's NA accredited. It has a 1 year doctoral degree. It costs $15,000. I think that is as close as we'll get. That's s great fantasy though! I'd love a 1 year DBA without a dissertation and your price tag would be AMAZING.
Statistics, research methods and biology I and II will be required for everyone. Might even require intro to chemistry and intro to physics for non-science majors. World history and world geography courses will actually cover the world and not just Europe. U.S. history will be taught accurately with all the good, bad, and ugly. That means you will learn that one of the reasons for the Texas Revolution was slavery, which is something the Texas government wants to keep out of the curriculum. That means you will read the Confederates' own writings on why they seceded, especially the Confederate vice president's speech on how Africans are inferior and the institution slavery should be preserved.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(07-11-2021, 04:51 PM)sanantone Wrote: Statistics, research methods and biology I and II will be required for everyone. Might even require intro to chemistry and intro to physics for non-science majors. World history and world geography courses will actually cover the world and not just Europe. U.S. history will be taught accurately with all the good, bad, and ugly. That means you will learn that one of the reasons for the Texas Revolution was slavery, which is something the Texas government wants to keep out of the curriculum. That means you will read the Confederates' own writings on why they seceded, especially the Confederate vice president's speech on how Africans are inferior and the institution slavery should be preserved.

> Statistics, research methods

yes

> biology I and II                

meh, waste of time learning about the Krebs Cycle and the Carbon Cycle  
rather have two biology classes that focuses on the important basics : human anatomy, human physiology, human genetics        

> Might even require intro to chemistry and intro to physics for non-science majors

this should obviously be required            

> World history and world geography courses will actually cover the world and not just Europe.

they already do - hell, my high school courses covered the Middle East, Egypt, China, Japan, South America, Mexico, Panama, Madagascar, Easter Island 

>  U.S. history will be taught accurately with all the good, bad, and ugly. 

it already is

> That means you will learn that one of the reasons for the Texas Revolution was slavery, which is something the Texas government wants to keep out of the curriculum. 

LOL, no                 
what they want to keep out is this ridiculous CRT nonsense

also require World Religions

(07-11-2021, 11:17 AM)ss20ts Wrote: The interesting thing ...
> Here's the thing about those topics. Everyone isn't great at them.
that's why he recommends taking classes in them              
>  Everyone isn't interested in them 
doesn't matter           
there are too many stupid people who vote and make decisions based on faulty understanding of statistics and economics             
there's even a thread on here now about people taking out $181k loans so they can get a Masters in Film LOL                
anyone who has even the most basic understanding of economics would understand how incredibly stupid that is             
> and has no desire to became subject matter experts in them.
no one's saying people have to be experts -- but my god, have a basic understanding             
having a basic understanding of statistics, economics and the history of different political cultures is as important as a basic understanding of chemistry and physics 
you shouldn't have people in government asking if Guam can flip over and other nonsense 
> The interesting thing he never talks about is helping the students land employment! 
if we really want to help people get employment the we need to stop degree inflation                    
a college degree should not be a requirement for most jobs                
and we should eliminate loans for all BS degrees , like that masters in film
(07-11-2021, 05:50 PM)bluebooger Wrote:
(07-11-2021, 04:51 PM)sanantone Wrote: Statistics, research methods and biology I and II will be required for everyone. Might even require intro to chemistry and intro to physics for non-science majors. World history and world geography courses will actually cover the world and not just Europe. U.S. history will be taught accurately with all the good, bad, and ugly. That means you will learn that one of the reasons for the Texas Revolution was slavery, which is something the Texas government wants to keep out of the curriculum. That means you will read the Confederates' own writings on why they seceded, especially the Confederate vice president's speech on how Africans are inferior and the institution slavery should be preserved.

> Statistics, research methods

yes

> biology I and II                

meh, waste of time learning about the Krebs Cycle and the Carbon Cycle  
rather have two biology classes that focuses on the important basics : human anatomy, human physiology, human genetics        

> Might even require intro to chemistry and intro to physics for non-science majors

this should obviously be required            

> World history and world geography courses will actually cover the world and not just Europe.

they already do - hell, my high school courses covered the Middle East, Egypt, China, Japan, South America, Mexico, Panama, Madagascar, Easter Island 

>  U.S. history will be taught accurately with all the good, bad, and ugly. 

it already is

> That means you will learn that one of the reasons for the Texas Revolution was slavery, which is something the Texas government wants to keep out of the curriculum. 

LOL, no                 
what they want to keep out is this ridiculous CRT nonsense

also require World Religions

Maybe some colleges cover actual world geography, but my high school class spent almost the entire year on Europe. 

There is no CRT being taught in K-12 classes or even the vast majority of college classes; people are just causing mass hysteria over nothing. CRT is for law school. A man went on the news to complain about CRT because his child was taught about the Jim Crow era, which has always been taught. Ridiculously stupid. If you can't handle that your kids will learn about slavery and segregation, then homeschool them and keep them ignorant.

The Texas government intervened and canceled an event because it was going to discuss the Battle of the Alamo's connection to slavery. That should be a 1st Amendment violation because this is the government suppressing speech.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/01/...-canceled/

I attended K-12 in Texas, and there was a lot I didn't learn about Texas history. We didn't learn about how Texans withheld the information that slaves were free for over two years. It's the reason why we have Juneteenth. We didn't learn that American settlers in Texas wanted independence from Mexico because Mexico wanted to outlaw slavery and require people to learn Spanish. We didn't learn that the Texas Rangers lynched hundreds of Mexican landowners to steal their land.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Critical race theory (CRT) is a body of legal scholarship and an academic movement of civil-rights scholars and activists in the United States that seeks to critically examine U.S. law as it intersects with issues of race in the U.S. and to challenge mainstream American liberal approaches to racial justice.[1][2][3][4] CRT examines social, cultural and legal issues primarily as they relate to race and racism in the United States.[5][6]
Critical race theory - Wikipedia