Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fast/cheap bachelors with lots of low-level classes
Personally, I would think that a business degree would be more useful than a BLS with a business-type concentration. I understand the desire to "use" the credits you already have but a BLS might not be as useful to future employment. Between the credits you already have and Sophia, a BLS wouldn't necessarily be THAT much faster or easier than a straight-up business degree. Also, UMPI considers a BLS a "terminal degree". Your studies are 100% finished when you're do a BLS at UMPI. If you change your mind later, you are not allowed to return for a business degree. You could go to a different school, such as COSC, but that would take even more time and money.

Check out this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-for-3-222 The advice should be the same for any business degree.

That said, you MUST take at least 30 credits through UMPI. You also need to have most of your UL credits through UMPI. If you are doing a Project Management concentration/minor, do NOT take Project Management through Sophia. The UMPI course it replaces is vital to 2 UL Project Management courses. You'll be lost if you take it through Sophia.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-08-2021, 10:20 PM)EeBee Wrote: Hi,

I doubt they will take the D but if they don't take the 2 more advanced classes, I can do it again?

SI don't know how any of this works but the suggestion of a BLS - Business was so good. I'm sold.

Of the 30 credits at UMPI and the 24 they require 300+ UL - How many of the UL HAVE to be at UMPI? Because I don't know their way of doing things and once that $1400 is theirs, I have to hit the ground running. It would be easier for me to pack those 8-week sessions with stuff I could do easily?

My plan so far UMPI BLS - Business (The WIKI doesn't have this exact match degree, some of this is guess)

STC:
BIO 105 + Lab
BUS 321 - HR Managment

SOPHIA:
ENV 110 - Environmental Science
BUS 350 - Business Law
BUS 101 - Introduction to Business
BUS 141 - Introduction to Project Management
MAT 101 - (I hate math)
ART 107 - Art History 1

Possible ASL transfer

UMPI:
ENG 101
PCJ 215
HUM 103

HIS 162
BUS 415
3 UL Classes
2 Random classes ? (Does this mean I've done it wrong?)
Capstone

I think that does it? And I need to to start the BIO because of the longer grade time, yes?

EB
in progress?

D's do not transfer to UMPI.

The majority of your ULs must be complete at UMPI. It's different what's required for each degree in terms of the number of ULs. I don't know which degree you're looking at with UMPI.
(05-09-2021, 08:20 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Personally, I would think that a business degree would be more useful than a BLS with a business-type concentration. I understand the desire to "use" the credits you already have but a BLS might not be as useful to future employment. Between the credits you already have and Sophia, a BLS wouldn't necessarily be THAT much faster or easier than a straight-up business degree. Also, UMPI considers a BLS a "terminal degree". Your studies are 100% finished when you're do a BLS at UMPI. If you change your mind later, you are not allowed to return for a business degree. You could go to a different school, such as COSC, but that would take even more time and money.

Check out this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-for-3-222 The advice should be the same for any business degree.

That said, you MUST take at least 30 credits through UMPI. You also need to have most of your UL credits through UMPI. If you are doing a Project Management concentration/minor, do NOT take Project Management through Sophia. The UMPI course it replaces is vital to 2 UL Project Management courses. You'll be lost if you take it through Sophia.

I'm happy that I read that. I was planning to get a BLS with a minor in MIS so that I can have any degree while I'm waiting for their BS in Computer Science to be available online. It seems that I wouldn't be able to do that with a BLS MIS. I've found this "It can serve as a terminal degree or as preparation for graduate school, professional school, or employment in business, government or industry." on this page https://www.umpi.edu/academics/liberal-studies/ It seems I can only use BLS for a masters degree but couldn't return for a BSCS, correct? There is no word "terminal" in say BABA Project Management so if I go for a BABA PM I could return for BSCS?
(05-09-2021, 08:20 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Personally, I would think that a business degree would be more useful than a BLS with a business-type concentration. I understand the desire to "use" the credits you already have but a BLS might not be as useful to future employment. Between the credits you already have and Sophia, a BLS wouldn't necessarily be THAT much faster or easier than a straight-up business degree. Also, UMPI considers a BLS a "terminal degree". Your studies are 100% finished when you're do a BLS at UMPI. If you change your mind later, you are not allowed to return for a business degree. You could go to a different school, such as COSC, but that would take even more time and money.

A person who comes in saying they want the fastest cheapest degree, with zero business coursework completed and no request for a business degree - I'm not really certain that person needs a business degree.

A business degree is only useful if you actually want one and are committed to do the coursework, and if it's actually going to be useful in your line of work.  Plenty of jobs don't need a business degree; plenty of people don't want a business degree.

I say fastest and cheapest is a BLS at UMPI.  A BSB is 12 courses plus another ~8 courses for the major/concentration.  That is a LOT of courses for a person who already has 94cr.

If it were me, someone who didn't actually NEED a business degree, I'd get that BLS in a heartbeat.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
(05-09-2021, 04:48 PM)aleksa Wrote:

I'm happy that I read that. I was planning to get a BLS with a minor in MIS so that I can have any degree while I'm waiting for their BS in Computer Science to be available online. It seems that I wouldn't be able to do that with a BLS MIS. I've found this "It can serve as a terminal degree or as preparation for graduate school, professional school, or employment in business, government or industry." on this page https://www.umpi.edu/academics/liberal-studies/ It seems I can only use BLS for a masters degree but couldn't return for a BSCS, correct? There is no word "terminal" in say BABA Project Management so if I go for a BABA PM I could return for BSCS?

I have experience with this at UMPI as I'm an alumni. If you complete a BLS first, you cannot come back for a second bachelor's degree at UMPI. They consider the BLS to be a terminal degree. I keep hoping they change this as they are expanding their online offerings. You can apply for their master's degree upon completion of the BLS or attend graduate school elsewhere. You can also complete a second bachelor's degree at another school. I tried to complete the BLS and a BA but was told I could not and was sent several pages from the catalog about it. If you complete a BA or BS at UMPI you can stay for a second bachelor's degree. The PM degree is actually a BA in Business Administration with a concentration in Project Management.

(05-09-2021, 04:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

A person who comes in saying they want the fastest cheapest degree, with zero business coursework completed and no request for a business degree - I'm not really certain that person needs a business degree.

A business degree is only useful if you actually want one and are committed to do the coursework, and if it's actually going to be useful in your line of work.  Plenty of jobs don't need a business degree; plenty of people don't want a business degree.

I say fastest and cheapest is a BLS at UMPI.  A BSB is 12 courses plus another ~8 courses for the major/concentration.  That is a LOT of courses for a person who already has 94cr.

If it were me, someone who didn't actually NEED a business degree, I'd get that BLS in a heartbeat.

This is why I went with the BLS instead of the BA in Business Administration. I already had 2 associate degrees and tons of other credits. Yes I completed 3 minors, however 1 minor was 1 class as I had all of the others. When I finished my first minor I realized that I didn't really enjoy the IT field and liked project management so I started that minor. That minor helped me get in my grad certificate I start in 2 weeks with LSU and it has helped me get into RIT for my master's degree I'm starting in January. If you really put effort into your classes, you can absolutely complete the BLS in 2 terms if you bring in the right courses in the GEC. That's what I would shoot for. Get it done. Get it over with. Move onto to the more detailed aspects in a grad degree.
Thank you ss20ts and Rachel, I'm glad I've learned these things before I decided to go for a BLS. I'll have to think about what to pick.
(05-09-2021, 05:22 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I have experience with this at UMPI as I'm an alumni. If you complete a BLS first, you cannot come back for a second bachelor's degree at UMPI. They consider the BLS to be a terminal degree.

I'm still not sure why UMPI calls it a "terminal degree" since that's not what terminal degree means.  A terminal degree is the highest level of education you can get in a specific field.  Not "the final degree we will let you earn at this school."

For instance, my daughter is getting an AS or AAS in Surgical Technology; it's a terminal degree, in that there is no BS in Surgical Tech that I'm aware of (not saying that one does not exist in the US - but an AAS or AS is all that is required to take the national exam, and become a Surgical Tech).  Nursing used to be considered a terminal degree until they came up with the BSN degree.  Other jobs that require a terminal AS/AAS are Paralegal, OTA, PTA, Dental Hygienist, etc.  There just aren't Bachelor's degrees for these fields.  If you're at OTA and you want to become an OT, that's a different job, and has a different terminal degree.

So I don't understand UMPI's usage of the term "terminal degree" because obviously "BLS" is not a terminal degree, nor is it even really a specific job that you'd get led to with it like the other terminal degrees out there. Strange.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-09-2021, 04:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote: A person who comes in saying they want the fastest cheapest degree, with zero business coursework completed and no request for a business degree - I'm not really certain that person needs a business degree.

Uhhhhh... In EeBee's very first post, it was stated that they would "prefer a business admin" degree. I don't know how you could read that and think that they didn't have a request for a business degree. It was literally one of the first things that was mentioned!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-10-2021, 12:03 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(05-09-2021, 04:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote: A person who comes in saying they want the fastest cheapest degree, with zero business coursework completed and no request for a business degree - I'm not really certain that person needs a business degree.

Uhhhhh... In EeBee's very first post, it was stated that they would "prefer a business admin" degree. I don't know how you could read that and think that they didn't have a request for a business degree. It was literally one of the first things that was mentioned!

Sorry, I did not go back to the very first post to confirm.  I thought they said they would take anything.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going back, they said "I just need my Bachelor's for my job and while I prefer business admin (or something like it) - I would honestly take anything." That to me says a BLS with a Minor in something business-related would work.

They also said "My job will reimburse $2k per year (that year is timed from the last reimbursement not calendar or school year). Otherwise, money is tight."  That to me says that they can't afford to do multiple terms at UMPI to get that BSB - it's a smarter use of their time and money to do the very cheapest degree, which would use as many of their current credits as possible, and do it in 1-2 terms, with as few Sophia/Study.com courses as possible.

So UMPI's BLS is THE best option in light of ALL of the info provided.
(05-09-2021, 06:20 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Other jobs that require a terminal AS/AAS are Paralegal, OTA, PTA, Dental Hygienist, etc.  There just aren't Bachelor's degrees for these fields. 

Just letting anyone who reads this and is interested know, that there is actually a bachelor paralegal studies program at COSC. I plan on taking it as soon as my AAB-Paralegal courses are done so they can transfer over.
Upcoming Degrees:
Master of Arts in Social Science (conc. Sociology) - Georgia Southern University - April 2025
Up Next (Decision MADE!)
Ph.D in Criminal Justice (Intelligence) - UNG
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors - Pierpont Community & Technical College  8/2021
AS Business Administration (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
Grant Writing Certificate- Fort Hays State University - 11/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 346 Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Last Post: BELEEMA
Question 40 something would love some guidance on how/where/what Bachelors to get! joyfulhelper 5 213 03-26-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Associates after Bachelors? 2nd Bachelors aslhou 16 566 03-25-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Need to finish up fast channaleah 6 506 03-17-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  How to get a Software Engineering, Data, or CS degree for cheap in 2024? awildstudentappeared 6 575 03-12-2024, 01:30 AM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  Please help! Looking to obtain Bachelors in 6months or less! Currently have 75hrs. SeanC86 9 528 03-11-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Fast and Easy Associates Degree XNutty98 18 850 03-06-2024, 12:30 PM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
  Tired of being bad at math and looking to enroll in online math classes for credit xor 9 525 02-26-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Need a plan to get an Associates fast and cheap smartiepants35 14 1,522 02-26-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: smartiepants35
  Planning help for Bachelors in Healthcare Administration Danyr09 9 479 02-21-2024, 11:49 PM
Last Post: Danyr09