Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fast courses to get 6 elective credits
Hello,

I would like to get 6 elective credits this semester. I have a pretty full load of study.com courses and I'm wondering if you guys could recommend any study.com specifically(since I have a subscription already), or SL, or really anywhere. Courses that are quick and could be done doing only a few hours per week. 

I know History of the Vietnam War, Library Science, and Presentation Skills in the Workplace are all ones that are quick...I've taken all of them(actually in the process of completing Library Science). I've also taken the free 2 credits from Sophia and the Institutes course. So none of those would work. And I've done quite a few education courses at Study.com.

Basically, I just would love suggestions for any courses other than those that I could do quickly over this semester without putting in many hours each day. It can be from anywhere.  
Or I would love suggestions on just getting "short-er" study.com's done fast when learning isn't the priority. OR I'm willing to pay for a month of Striaghterline so if you all think that could be a good way to get 2 courses done fast I'd love suggestions on which ones! 

Thanks!
Do you need general education electives or free electives?

Is CLEP testing an option?

Are NCCRS providers an option? Actually, I see you're attending TESU right? In that case, you could also work on some onlinedegree.com courses.

Unsure what other classes you've taken so I'm hesitant to suggest anything in particular... However, often taking a test or course on a subject that you're already fairly knowledgeable on is the quickest option.

An example would be if you've already taken biology and some other science subjects then taking the natural sciences clep would require minimal extra studying to pass. Also, if you're already pretty good with reading literature, the analyzing and interpreting literature clep should be a quick 6 credits. Finally, if you're already good with math at the algebra/precalc(or beyond) level, then doing the mathematics clep should simple and quick.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Personal Finance is fairly easy if you're old enough to have dealt with mortgages, investments and loans. I've never taken the SDC version, though.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
The shortest Study.com courses may be ones that are connected to courses you've already taken there because of overlap. Some examples:
HIS 308: Causes & Effects of the Vietnam War (tons of overlap from LL course you've taken)
HIS 106: The Civil War & Reconstruction followed by HIS 306: The American Civil War Era

Some of the UL courses are shorter, and only have 1 paper to do:
BUS 313: Organizational Communication
MARK 308: Applied Marketing

And don't forget, anything that has a placement test/pretest can help you advance quickly though the course (this is a partial list):
MAT 102: College Mathematics
MAT 101: College Algebra
REL 101: Intro to World Religions
BUS 111: Principles of Supervision
SOC 101: Intro to Sociology
HIS 103: US History I
PSY 103: Human Growth & Development
BUS 109: Intro to Computing

It also depends on what kinds of courses you need, and what degree you're getting. If you're getting a BALS, then you may not want to take business courses even if they were short. If you're getting a BSBA, you may want to take 1 LL and 1 UL course in the same area.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-15-2019, 02:49 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Do you need general education electives or free electives?

Are NCCRS providers an option? Actually, I see you're attending TESU right? In that case, you could also work on some onlinedegree.com courses.

Unsure what other classes you've taken so I'm hesitant to suggest anything in particular... However, often taking a test or course on a subject that you're already fairly knowledgeable on is the quickest option.

An example would be if you've already taken biology and some other science subjects then taking the natural sciences clep would require minimal extra studying to pass. Also, if you're already pretty good with reading literature, the analyzing and interpreting literature clep should be a quick 6 credits. Finally, if you're already good with math at the algebra/precalc(or beyond) level, then doing the mathematics clep should simple and quick.

I need free electives. Yes, CLEP and NCCRS are both options. 

I am actually not attending TESU. I was thinking of going that way, but now I'm heading for a BALS at Campbellsville University. They should accept all ACE and NCCRS credit. 

I hadn't thought a lot about doing a CLEP, but that is interesting to consider. I have read a ton of books and so maybe the A & I Lit CLEP might be an option. Do you think I could wing it or would some studying be the best? 
Thanks for the help!

(01-15-2019, 03:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The shortest Study.com courses may be ones that are connected to courses you've already taken there because of overlap.  Some examples:
HIS 308: Causes & Effects of the Vietnam War (tons of overlap from LL course you've taken)
HIS 106: The Civil War & Reconstruction followed by HIS 306: The American Civil War Era

Some of the UL courses are shorter, and only have 1 paper to do:
BUS 313: Organizational Communication
MARK 308: Applied Marketing

And don't forget, anything that has a placement test/pretest can help you advance quickly though the course (this is a partial list):
MAT 102: College Mathematics
MAT 101: College Algebra
REL 101: Intro to World Religions
BUS 111: Principles of Supervision
SOC 101: Intro to Sociology
HIS 103: US History I
PSY 103: Human Growth & Development
BUS 109: Intro to Computing

It also depends on what kinds of courses you need, and what degree you're getting.  If you're getting a BALS, then you may not want to take business courses even if they were short.  If you're getting a BSBA, you may want to take 1 LL and 1 UL course in the same area.

Thank you for sharing that! I was considering doing the second Vietnam War, but was a little nervous that it wouldn't transfer as a separate course at the University I'm heading towards(Campbellsville University). Would you agree that it might not or do you think if it's a separate course on the ACE transcript I should be fine? Same with the Civil War. 
I'll look into the pre-test/placement test option. Thanks for sharing!
(01-15-2019, 04:15 PM)hannah-joy Wrote: I need free electives. Yes, CLEP and NCCRS are both options. 

I am actually not attending TESU. I was thinking of going that way, but now I'm heading for a BALS at Campbellsville University. They should accept all ACE and NCCRS credit. 

I hadn't thought a lot about doing a CLEP, but that is interesting to consider. I have read a ton of books and so maybe the A & I Lit CLEP might be an option. Do you think I could wing it or would some studying be the best? 
Thanks for the help!

When you say they "should" accept all ACE/NCCRS, what exactly does that mean?  Do you know for a fact that they DO accept ACE/NCCRS?  Is there a limit on how much they will take?

Why are you choosing that school over TESU or another of the Big 3?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-15-2019, 03:04 PM)davewill Wrote: Personal Finance is fairly easy if you're old enough to have dealt with mortgages, investments and loans. I've never taken the SDC version, though.

Thanks for the suggestion!
(01-15-2019, 04:15 PM)hannah-joy Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 02:49 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Do you need general education electives or free electives?

Thanks for the help!

Obviously each person is different, but I took the A&I Lit CLEP with zero studying and got a 71. And I hadn't read a fiction book in more than five years. I am a good test-taker though, so of course your mileage may vary. I highly recommend it as a way to knock out a handful of credits fast & free.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • Jenniferinfl
(01-15-2019, 04:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 04:15 PM)hannah-joy Wrote: I need free electives. Yes, CLEP and NCCRS are both options. 

Thanks for the help!

When you say they "should" accept all ACE/NCCRS, what exactly does that mean?  Do you know for a fact that they DO accept ACE/NCCRS?  Is there a limit on how much they will take?

Why are you choosing that school over TESU or another of the Big 3?

I said "should" just because I don't want to tell anyone 100% sure, however, I have a friend who was told this by the school and her son had all of his accepted.  You can transfer in 72 credits. I'm in a unique situation because I'm a high schooler and am dual enrolled with them so each class is only $162 approximately. I'm hoping to transfer in the 72 credits from other places(SDC, SL) about the time I graduate high school and there should be no big graduation fees, no capstone, cornerstone, etc. Like I said I'm not sure if this will work, but if it does it's a great option for those still in high school. I'm keeping up a plan for TESU if this doesn't work.

(01-15-2019, 04:22 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 04:15 PM)hannah-joy Wrote:

Thanks for the help!

Obviously each person is different, but I took the A&I Lit CLEP with zero studying and got a 71. And I hadn't read a fiction book in more than five years. I am a good test-taker though, so of course your mileage may vary. I highly recommend it as a way to knock out a handful of credits fast & free.

Wow, that's great! I might go ahead and try it. Thanks for sharing that!
For the A&I lit. Clep, try a practice test or 2 first. If you can score above 70% or so, then you should be good.
Also, try modernstates course to get your clep paid for for free. It will also help prepare you for the test.

Ok since you need free electives, you can try some of other CLEPs as well if you want. Principles of management and Principles of marketing are usually some of the "easier" ones that require minimal studying to prepare for(if you have work experience anyway). Use modernstates (and other resources) for these as well.

I HIGHLY recommend locating your school's policy on CLEP, ACE and NCCRS courses to verify everything.
Edit: I did find this, which shows some of the CLEPs(and associated scores) accepted by your school:
https://clep.collegeboard.org/college-cr...university

Btw, I think that since you're still in highschool, you will indeed benefit most from the dual enrollment courses and taking the majority of your degree through "conventional" means. So good call on that. At the same time, good call on taking some alternative credits to help speed things along.

If, for whatever reason, finishing the BALS at your university doesn't work out, just know that you can most likely transfer everything to one of the big 3 just fine.

If your school truly accepts any ACE credits, then consider schmoop. No one here recommends them anymore because they aren't accepted by TESU and they're targeted to a younger crowd (highschoolers), but they may be good for your situation. Many have had no problem finishing a bunch of schmoop courses in a month.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Jenniferinfl

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 78 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,609 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,788 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,862 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 399 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 545 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 967 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,803 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares