Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fast courses to get 6 elective credits
(01-15-2019, 05:15 PM)MNomadic Wrote: For the A&I lit. Clep, try a practice test or 2 first. If you can score above 70% or so, then you should be good.
Also, try modernstates course to get your clep paid for for free. It will also help prepare you for the test.

Ok since you need free electives, you can try some of other CLEPs as well if you want. Principles of management and Principles of marketing are usually some of the "easier" ones that require minimal studying to prepare for(if you have work experience anyway). Use modernstates (and other resources) for these as well.

I HIGHLY recommend locating your school's policy on CLEP, ACE and NCCRS courses to verify everything.
Edit: I did find this, which shows some of the CLEPs(and associated scores) accepted by your school:
https://clep.collegeboard.org/college-cr...university

If, for whatever reason, finishing the BALS at your university doesn't work out, just know that you can most likely transfer everything to one of the big 3 just fine.

If your school truly accepts any ACE credits, then consider schmoop. No one here recommends them anymore because they aren't accepted by TESU and they're targeted to a younger crowd (highschoolers), but they may be good for your situation. Many have had no problem finishing a bunch of schmoop courses in a month.

That sounds good! I actually might try two Shmoop courses...thanks for mentioning that! I hadn't thought about the fact that it's only TESU that doesn't accept them.
I looked up the school you said in the ACE registrary. It isn't there at all.

However, it is an NCCRS member.

http://www.nationalccrs.org/colleges-uni...University

Be careful, make sure the courses are NCCRS approved and not just ACE approved. Some courses approved for credit for both, so it wouldn't matter.

Here is a guide.

Yes NCCRS approved: Saylor, Study.com, Coopersmith, Davar, Study.com, and onlinedegree.com (which is great but you need to graduate high school to use the site)

Not NCCRS approved: StraighterLine, Shoomp, Sophia

Check this page for NCCRS approved TESU courses:
https://study.com/academy/college-accele...tters.html

My suggestion (you don't have to follow it, but these are my thoughts)

Don't do any of those things sites I mentioned above at all. Instead focus on CLEP, DSST, and AP tests. NCCRS credit would be risky and a nightmare to deal with in terms of transferring it in. It might not even work. As long as they accept them and have spelled out equivalencies, CLEP, DSST, AP are guaranteed to work without guesswork.

If I were you I'd focus on CLEP and AP (use modernstates) for as many requirements as possible. They would literally be free and CLEP and AP are the most widely accepted at any school. You are young and if you change your mind about where you want to go to school, these credits will likely transfer to most places. Go to the college and see if you get can a printed guide of equivalency credit for CLEP, DSST, and AP. The website doesn't have a guide as far as I can see. But if they accept them there has to be an exact guide somewhere in the counseling department you will just have to ask, maybe multiple people even, but you can get it. Then from there, you can map out a degree plan and dual enroll in coursework the exams don't cover.
[-] The following 2 users Like natshar's post:
  • hannah-joy, MrsBulletPoints
(01-15-2019, 07:37 PM)natshar Wrote: I looked up the school you said in the ACE registrary. It isn't there at all.

Yes NCCRS approved: Saylor, Study.com, Coopersmith, Davar, Study.com, and onlinedegree.com (which is great but you need to graduate high school to use the site)

Not NCCRS approved: StraighterLine, Shoomp, Sophia

My suggestion (you don't have to follow it, but these are my thoughts)

Don't do any of those things sites I mentioned above at all. Instead focus on CLEP, DSST, and AP tests. NCCRS credit would be risky and a nightmare to deal with in terms of transferring it in. It might not even work. As long as they accept them and have spelled out equivalencies, CLEP, DSST, AP are guaranteed to work without guesswork.

If I were you I'd focus on CLEP and AP (use modernstates) for as many requirements as possible. They would literally be free and CLEP and AP are the most widely accepted at any school. You are young and if you change your mind about where you want to go to school, these credits will likely transfer to most places. Go to the college and see if you get can a printed guide of equivalency credit for CLEP, DSST, and AP. The website doesn't have a guide as far as I can see. But if they accept them there has to be an exact guide somewhere in the counseling department you will just have to ask, maybe multiple people even, but you can get it. Then from there, you can map out a degree plan and dual enroll in coursework the exams don't cover.

1) I looked up CLEP on the school's website and it's not mentioned, nor is ACE or NCCRS.  So I would want to get more info before making any kind of decision.

2) Regarding AP - that is going to be nearly impossible if you're not currently in high school.  Schools get to determine who is on campus during the day, and AP exams are administered during normal school hours - so your chances of getting onto a campus to take the exams as a homeschooled high school student are limited, I'm guessing it would be darn near impossible to get onto a campus as an adult.  Not saying it's not an option at all, but I wouldn't count on it unless you can find a school that will let you take the exams you need.  Oh yeah, and they only administer them once a year, same day/time for every school for every exam.  And since not all schools offer all of the classes, they may not offer all of the exams (like my son's school isn't going to be offering the language exams except Spanish and French for example).

3) Regarding Study.com being NCCRS - not all of their courses are NCCRS - only some of them are.  So you'd want to check before doing any.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • hannah-joy
In order of transferability to your school:

(1) dual enrollment AT THE COLLEGE -you're doing this, keep it up!
(2) dual enrollment through a different college - may not be necessary, but if your college limits or caps your enrollment, it's worth considering. This will count toward total number of transfer credits. Additionally, if you need other courses for your high school graduation, these will help.
(3) AP exams- not easy today. As Dfrecore explained, you have to find a willing school, and so though you are technically eligible to DIY study and taken an AP exam, it's likely too late for this year, and you'd have to wait until 2020.
(4) CLEP exams- you can self study through Modern States and receive a voucher to take these for free. I would highly suggest this approach, and use your college's score sheet to guide you through which courses and scores. You can earn high school credit for studying even without passing- so be sure you've met your graduation requirements if you have them.
------
ACE and NCCRS
This includes: Shmoop, Studycom, Saylor Academy, OnlineDegree, Straighterline, and the collection of free credits promoted here. It is unlikely that ANY of these will count at the school you're doing dual enrollment. That does NOT mean you can't still use them for high school credit, but in that scenario, you're not saving time or money off of your college degree, you're just taking regular college-level high school classes. No different than using your Saxon math book. If you decide to attend a college that accepts everything in this category (aka the Big 3) then making that decision sooner rather than later will be the most efficient. If you're certain that you're staying at the college you're at now, these courses won't help you.

Does your mom follow Homeschooling for College Credit? There are Facebook groups in a all 50 states that can help her align your high school transcript with your state's graduation requirements and college credit options. Other parents help each other, it's totally free but very targeted / specific to what you're doing.
Thank you all for your help and suggestions! I'll definitely be considering them. I had targeted this school for a few different reasons, but I am keeping up a plan for TESU so everything I'm taking can fit into that plan too if this doesn't work out. 
Jennifer, thanks so much for sharing! My mom is not apart of Homeschooling for College Credit. I've actually been working with a friend who is doing a similar thing for her kids so we've been figuring it out together.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hannah-joy's post:
  • hsfamfun
I live in Kentucky, where Campbellsville University is located, so I know a little about it, but I did not know that they accepted ACE credit, but it does not surprise me.  It seems the small Christian schools are the ones that are opening the doors and accepting alternate credit and working with students to make a degree possible.  The state universities in Kentucky or the CC's accept very little ACE credit, military only.

I second the recommendation to give Shmoop a try.  My son signed up with Shmoop for a month before his 12 week CC class starts and he has been working on Professional Writing and Media Literacy and is not only liking the classes, but moving through them quickly.  

Good Luck!
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hsfamfun's post:
  • cookderosa
If you do go Shmoop, you might consider going the proctored exam route (it's optional), just in case it ends up making a difference in whether the course is ultimately accepted.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(01-16-2019, 09:37 AM)hsfamfun Wrote: I live in Kentucky, where Campbellsville University is located, so I know a little about it, but I did not know that they accepted ACE credit, but it does not surprise me.  It seems the small Christian schools are the ones that are opening the doors and accepting alternate credit and working with students to make a degree possible.  The state universities in Kentucky or the CC's accept very little ACE credit, military only.

I second the recommendation to give Shmoop a try.  My son signed up with Shmoop for a month before his 12 week CC class starts and he has been working on Professional Writing and Media Literacy and is not only liking the classes, but moving through them quickly.  

Good Luck!

Thank you for sharing! Like I said, I can't 100% guarantee that CU will accept ACE credit, but that is what I heard and the experience of a friend of mine. That's also good to know about Shmoop!

(01-16-2019, 09:41 AM)davewill Wrote: If you do go Shmoop, you might consider going the proctored exam route (it's optional), just in case it ends up making a difference in whether the course is ultimately accepted.

Sounds good! I was thinking of doing that if I take courses with them.
(01-16-2019, 09:37 AM)hsfamfun Wrote: I live in Kentucky, where Campbellsville University is located, so I know a little about it, but I did not know that they accepted ACE credit, but it does not surprise me.  It seems the small Christian schools are the ones that are opening the doors and accepting alternate credit and working with students to make a degree possible.  The state universities in Kentucky or the CC's accept very little ACE credit, military only.

Good Luck!

I don't think they accept Ace credit they aren't on the Ace website. They do accept NCCRS credit as they are listed on the NCCRS website, but that doesn't mean they accept all NCCRS courses
(01-16-2019, 09:45 AM)natshar Wrote:

Good Luck!

I don't think they accept Ace credit they aren't on the Ace website. They do accept NCCRS credit.

You're right that they aren't on the ACE website. They do mention that they are apart of the American Council on Education a few times on their website and I think it's more by word of mouth that people hear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 78 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,609 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,788 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,862 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 399 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 545 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 967 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,803 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares