Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fast-track degree for Japan working visa
Hey there!

I have worked as an administrative officer with the UK Civil Service for 10 years but am ready for a fresh challenge (I have recently turned 40).

I am a UK resident, and am keen to move to Japan to teach English, however, to obtain a work visa in Japan one must be the recipient of an accredited Baccalaureate. To obtain this through distance learning with the UK's Open University would require at least 3 years.

Researching the subject online, I came across an article whereby someone had gotten their Japanese work visa via achieving their accredited degree online through TESU in 10 months.

To say that I was encouraged would be an understatement! I contacted the website's creator and he was generous in his advice; he pointed me in the direction of this forum, for which I am very grateful.

I believe that with enough study and hard work that I could obtain a valid degree in a year through TESU. I am specifically interested in obtaining a degree through the flexible approach afforded by the BA course in Liberal Arts, with a view to transferring an acceptable amount of credit through "testing out" TESU-recognized alternative course equivalency credits.

I now have folders of links marked "EQUIVALENCIES", "Degree plans" "Electives" "CLEP" etc etc ad nauseum. I've found myself bookmarking pages and finding I have them already bookmarked so I might need to calm down a little. The vagaries and open-endedness can be disconcerting for someone new to navigating this hitherto unbeknownst pathway towards a degree.

I understand that the Liberal Arts capstone is a non-negotiable part of the puzzle, from the little I heave gleaned here; also it seems that if i enrol before Friday (!) that I may or may not be able to avoid the new cornerstone pre-requisite, but that either way, it would be a good idea to enrol now to "lock in" the current course catalogue.

I am leaning towards applying sooner rather than later as I want to get this degree done in as less than a year anyway - it would give me a concrete deadline to work towards, and having the guidance of a TESU advisor could be invaluable in deciding which courses are worth taking as equivalencies.

I have passed the first year of a BSc in Psychology at Queen's University Belfast, although as this was in 1995, I am unsure if this would be within an appropriate timescale to use as some small amount of credit transfer; I know that this form of evaluation is undertaken by a third party, so there is no guarantee. I also hold a Network+ qualification and an MCP in Microsoft Windows 2000, these were obtained in 2003. I may try my hand at turning them in for credit.

Since I discovered this fast-track option a whole week ago, my brain has been basically melting out of my ears in trying to find the optimum route forward; it's true that with my meagre salary I could fly from the north of Ireland to London and back maybe twice a month maximum, and that's with booking flights pretty far in advance; all the same, with the advantage of hard study and instant cert flashcards I could see myself perhaps being able to undertake 2 or 3 CLEP tests per visit (this from a man who's never taken a CLEP exam in his life and in fact only heard about them last week).

I intend to start off by taking a few ALEKS courses for credits; the Saylor and Straighterline courses seem a potential godsend as well, considering my distance from the nearest CLEP testing centre.

Once I get the degree part sorted out (by next summer I hope!) I plan on doing a month-long intensive CELTA TEFL course, which they actually run regularly a few streets from here.

I should be extremely grateful for any guidance that you can offer me, you seem like a friendly and helpful bunch.

I will keep you all informed about how i get on!

Thanks to anyone who had the patience to read through this spiel Smile

Paul
Welcome!

We often have people join the forum specifically to get a bachelor's degree as soon as possible to teach EFL, so you are in good company.
Your year of university at Queen's should count for credit. We have also had people with A-levels get US college credit, thus you might want to send those results for evaluation as well.

Straighterline, Saylor, TECEP exams, and Study.com might be better choices for you than DSST and CLEP exams. Study.com and Saylor do not require purchasing extra textbooks. You can complete a Liberal Studies or Social Science degree without having to use any CLEP or DSST exams.

The CELTA is a great idea too.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Yes, you should be able to get your BALS at TESU in less than a year if you work hard at it. You can skip any and all DSST/CLEP exams if you wish, there are plenty of online credits you can get that are similar in price.

The timeframe that you took courses for a Psych degree will be fine (as long as you aren't going for a Psych degree, in which case they would want those to be more recent), but the Network+ and MCP from 2003 will not work - TESU is already not generous with those certs, and them being more than 10 years old makes them a no-go. EC and COSC might be better at taking them though, I'm not sure what their policies are.

Keep reading this forum, and continue to learn. Apply at TESU, and send in all of your credits when you do, it certainly can't hurt.

Set up your free ACE account. Take ALEKS math (Intermediate & College Algebra, Precalculus and Statistics will all count for credit, although none are necessary to your degree - but they're nice cheap credits). Take the free Ethics course. Take the free TEEX courses if you'd like. Try a few Saylor courses.

Then, I would also think about taking a couple of SL courses, and a couple of study.com courses, to see which one you like more. Or if you like them both, continue to take both. There are regularly coupons for them both, so look for those.

Good luck!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Do you have to have a degree before you take the CELTA TEFL? I wonder if you took it before obtaining your degree, you might not get credit for it. Just an idea.

Regardless, welcome and good luck!
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
Hi Paul

My UK degree was awarded in 1997 and it was accepted by TESU and I got a lot of the credit put onto my degree plan (more than I thought I would). I'm taking the BSBA so there's not as much applied to the degree plan as it could be otherwise. To a BALA you should be able to transfer most of the credit from your 1 year at Queen's.

I've taken quite a few CLEP in London, and doing 2 or 3 in a day is definitely doable, I know cause I have done. 2 is easily doable, 3 is pushing it and a bit stressful, but I still passed so... a pass is a pass.

Don't overlook the UEXCEL/Excelsior credit by exam. The exams are all multiple choice and I've found all (except the Finance one) to be reasonably easy, plus you get a grade. They've cost me less than £100 each to take, and might be more cost effective for you than CLEP as you won't have to travel here. They also have a lot of psychology options if you're interested in that area of study. There is a test centre in Belfast. Belfast South Community Resources, Sandy RowBT12 5ET
https://www3.pearsonvue.com/testtaker/re...EG/3259345

I've also heard that some US universities give credit for A levels. I don't know about the Big 3 but if you have some, that's worth exploring too.

I've been at it for a year now, but I work full time and I've haven't done anything for the past 3 months. Been busy doing campaign work for some referendum malarky. I've got 10 courses left to go. Could have finished already if I'd put my back into it easily.

Good luck. It's all definitely doable
Achieved
BSBA - GM: TESU
BSc(Hons) Politics: University of Plymouth
GradCert in Computing: London Metropolitan University
Prince2 Certified
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt

In Progress
Certificate in Technology Leadership: Cornell University (free through employer)

Planned
Master of Business Administration: ENEB Isabel I 
Master in Public Administration: Marconi University
Certificate in Accounting: Cornell University (freebie)
Certificate in Corporate Sustainability: Cornell University (freebie)
Oh and try to spread the word, stop all the teenagers being ripped off by UK tuition fees. Tell them to look at the Big 3!
Achieved
BSBA - GM: TESU
BSc(Hons) Politics: University of Plymouth
GradCert in Computing: London Metropolitan University
Prince2 Certified
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt

In Progress
Certificate in Technology Leadership: Cornell University (free through employer)

Planned
Master of Business Administration: ENEB Isabel I 
Master in Public Administration: Marconi University
Certificate in Accounting: Cornell University (freebie)
Certificate in Corporate Sustainability: Cornell University (freebie)
Great point, LaterBloomer. To take the CELTA, you only need to "be eligible for university studies." Since the OP finished a year of university, he would qualify. And the CELTA is rated as Level 5 by Ofqual- similar to a US associate degree.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Thank you everyone for your hospitality and invaluable advice, it is truly appreciated! Smile You have all given me a lot of food for thought.

Leedeedee, i would never have thought of trying to use my "A" Levels for credit, and as for the Excelsior testing centre in Sandy Row - my office window looks out onto Sandy Row and has done for the last ten years ironically enough, so that is an extremely timely piece of advice!

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome to this forum.

Paul
Just keep in mind that study.com offers many of the CLEP/DSST/UExcel exams for the same price or less (a lot less than some of the really expensive UExcel's). No going to a testing center at all; and no paying their fees, which can range from free to more than $60 per test here in the states. UExcel/Pearson charges $50 or $60 per exam for testing fees here (not sure how much they charge there).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for that piece of advice, dfrecore. As an addendum, I asked for and received a copy of my transcript from Queen's uni today; I have received 2 unoffical transcripts back via email ( they won't email official ones).

To recap, I messed up my second year of Psychology and thought that it would be an AMAZING idea to instead transfer into BSSc Information Management, as my then-girlfriend was undertaking this course. I transferred, then she broke up with me and went off to study Law at Trinity. I was then stuck in a degree I didn't like and just dropped out altogether, tsk Smile

Anyhow, I have this list of assorted credits. I would surmise that before I start making a serious roadmap for complet
ion of a BALS, I should forward these to a TESU-approved third-party transcript assessor, so I know where I stand?
I seem to have been awarded credits for courses I barely attended in some instances.

.docx   Less than 1 minute ago">Credit.docx (Size: 22.4 KB / Downloads: 2)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have any DegreeForum alumni went on to teach in Japan? leland.kirk 9 3,240 09-20-2018, 03:00 PM
Last Post: zzzz24
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,222 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,868 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,351 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,678 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,884 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,780 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,022 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,968 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,332 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627