Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fastest way to earn 24 semester hours of accounting credit
I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how I can earn 24 SH of Accounting credit by the end of the year in order to qualify for a particular job series with the US government. I have found a wealth of information on the web (too much actually) but I fell super overwhelmed and am not sure what to do next. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not sure how realistic it is to earn 24 credit hours in accounting in less than six months. One option that allows you to go at your own pace is Louisiana State University's Independent Study's accounting courses. It is $650 per course. That's not a terrible price for a public university.
Between Straighterline (12 credit options), Saylor (12 credit options) & CLEP/DSST (6 credits) - you have plenty of options with a focused effort to knock out 24 credits in 6 months. Prior to completing them, I would suggest getting clarity that the ones you decide on won't be recorded as duplicate credit.

Stay focused on just knocking out one course at a time. Spending efforts on worrying about the 24 credits in 6 months will not provide any positive energy on a task you can make happen.

Good luck & keep us updated!!
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
CSU Global offers 39 hours' worth of Accounting exams.
https://csuglobal.edu/undergraduate/prog...tions/cbes
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
OP, for TESU you could use these Straighterline courses:
Principles of Financial Accounting - ACC-101 3
Principles of Managerial Accounting - ACC-102 3
Intermediate Accounting I - ACC-201 3
Cost Accounting - ACC-303 3

Penn Foster has
Intermediate Accounting II ACC-202 3
Computer Applications in Accounting ACC-213 3

And there is a TECEP for Federal Income Taxation ACC-421 3

That would bring you up to 21 hours. Since the law about 24 hours of accounting includes up to 6 hours of business law:
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversigh...ries-0510/
"Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;"

You could either take one of the CSU Accounting exams, or take Straighterline/ CLEP/ Penn Foster Business Law (PF has I and II).
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Are you allowed to earn them anywhere? Can they be ACE-recommended, or do they need to be from an NA or RA school? Do any of them have to be UL, or can they be LL?

Some people here are suggesting Straighterline, and giving the TESU course equivalencies. I would think that those aren't going to work for most places; most of these will duplicate each other (Accounting I will be considered Financial Accounting, Accounting II will be considered Managerial Accounting). If you look at the course equivalencies for other schools here, you will see that TESU is out of the main with how they look at these particular courses.

Also, my concern would be that while you can quickly pass a SL course without learning a ton, it might not be in your best interest to do so. That's because if you're trying to get a job where you are expected to really know accounting (enough for it to be a college major), that you actually need to know that much accounting for the job. At least, that would be my guess. If you went in there not knowing much about accounting after taking some courses, then they won't have done you much good.

My advice would be to go through and actually learn Financial Accounting and Managerial Accounting very well, and then build on those two courses. Then take Intermediate Accounting I & II, Cost Accounting, and whatever else sounds interesting.

You can go through Penn Foster which is an NA school, and some of their courses are ACE-recommended. CSU-Global is RA and has many courses, but they are self-study CBE's, and will probably be harder. I would think though, that you would learn more that way. But that could just be my interpretation of how the courses work there vs. PF.

There are other options mentioned here that would work as well.

Good luck.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:... My advice would be to go through and actually learn Financial Accounting and Managerial Accounting very well, and then build on those two courses. Then take Intermediate Accounting I & II, Cost Accounting, and whatever else sounds interesting.

This is excellent advice and I agree with it completely.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
PLA would be cheap and somewhat fast. $379/12 credits and another $250/6 additional subsequent credits, if you have experience it is worth a shot.
There are a few members on the board that have gone through the PLA option and have a thread in regards to it... it's an option I would look into.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
dfrecore Wrote:... Then take Intermediate Accounting I & II, Cost Accounting, and whatever else sounds interesting.

if the person wants to do something that sounds interesting then why would they be doing accounting ? Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,538 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,811 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,957 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 250 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 516 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 746 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 698 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 485 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Looking for cheap Dual Enrollment credit for homeschooled sister muu9 4 534 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  2D Cad/Technical Drawing Credit Eligible Courses flamewerks 0 332 10-17-2023, 02:15 PM
Last Post: flamewerks