Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Book Overall!
Ruddigore Wrote:Believe me, it's worth it. It is a unique picture of heaven that you will not find anywhere else. Strange it may be, but it is nothing if not finely conceived.

I do need to read it again... I'm sure it would make more sense now. I was probably 13 or 14 when I read it the first time. Smile
~Brittany

From 0 to 120 credits in ten months and seven days because of CollegePlus! and InstantCert!!!

AHHHH!!!!!!!! I DID IT!!!!!!!! Graduation, here I come!

"The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save." ~Zephaniah 3:17
One warning about a different C. S. Lewis book I recommended: A Grief Observed is a fabulous book, but the introduction isn't. Her perception of God wholly not Lewis's and she declares he means X when he really couldn't have meant anything but Y. The bit written by his step-son, however, is pretty good.
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
Here's another C.S. Lewis fan--my family has read his Chronicles of Narnia a few times and we all love his humor. Another favorite series of ours is Little House on the Prairie, which my mom has read aloud *more* than a few times. Smile I guess it does have something to do with a family of all girls (well, besides my dad, but he likes the books too!), although Farmer Boy is one of our favorite books in the series.

Other reads I liked (or loved is probably the better word Smile ) were Jane Eyre and some sci-fi books by Joel Rosenberg, The Last Jihad and The Last Days. The last two were part of a series as well that I never quite got around to finishing.

P.S. Hi Brittany! I just wanted to let you know that I will be using your lecture document on Reconstruction for my Civil War DSST next week. Thanks so much for posting it, as well as your other feedback on the test! Smile

Candace
frankiebleyes Wrote:So many excellent choices already mentioned. For a quick, good storyline I enjoy reading anything over my textbooks. John Grisham (sp?)
Skipping Christmas by John Grisham... light, funny, an all time favorite!
cdautel Wrote:Another favorite series of ours is Little House on the Prairie, which my mom has read aloud *more* than a few times. Smile I guess it does have something to do with a family of all girls (well, besides my dad, but he likes the books too!), although Farmer Boy is one of our favorite books in the series.

::grins:: My brother and I are reading that series together! We recently became addicts of the show (we're on season three now), and are now diving into the books. We're only a few chapters in, as my brother keeps LEAVING the state on trips without me, haha...

but oh my goodness, we love the show, and when I say love, I mean the watch-it-every-lunch-break-and-every-evening-if-possible type love. Smile Our particular favorite characters are Charles (such a beast), Caroline (the most encouraging wife on television), John Edwards, Nels Oleson, and Doc Hanson... but really the whole town of Walnut Grove is wonderful.
-Anna Kate

"Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake." Victor Hugo

/: CLEPs passed: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (64), English Composition w/ Essay (64), English Literature (62), Introduction to Psychology (68), Introduction to Educational Psychology (61), Human Growth & Development (68), Introduction to Sociology (61), Principles of Management (59)
/: DANTES passed: Principles of Supervision (430)
/: CLEPs failed: US History I (49), US History II (44)
/: what's next? long break from CP! for an internship with the TeenPact ministry from January to June 2010
annakate Wrote:::grins:: My brother and I are reading that series together! We recently became addicts of the show (we're on season three now), and are now diving into the books. We're only a few chapters in, as my brother keeps LEAVING the state on trips without me, haha...

but oh my goodness, we love the show, and when I say love, I mean the watch-it-every-lunch-break-and-every-evening-if-possible type love. Smile Our particular favorite characters are Charles (such a beast), Caroline (the most encouraging wife on television), John Edwards, Nels Oleson, and Doc Hanson... but really the whole town of Walnut Grove is wonderful.

Are you watching the old version or the new version?
[SIZE="4"]Nick[/SIZE]

CC:
Principles of Macroeconomics
Principles of Microeconomics
Music Fundamentals
Computer Literacy

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Taken:
English Composition w/ Essay CLEP 57
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP 65
Introductory Psychology CLEP 57
Western Civilization I CLEP 55[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Studying for:
Principles of Management
American Government
cdautel Wrote:Here's another C.S. Lewis fan--my family has read his Chronicles of Narnia a few times and we all love his humor. Another favorite series of ours is Little House on the Prairie, which my mom has read aloud *more* than a few times. I guess it does have something to do with a family of all girls (well, besides my dad, but he likes the books too!), although Farmer Boy is one of our favorite books in the series.

Other reads I liked (or loved is probably the better word Smile ) were Jane Eyre and some sci-fi books by Joel Rosenberg, The Last Jihad and The Last Days. The last two were part of a series as well that I never quite got around to finishing.

P.S. Hi Brittany! I just wanted to let you know that I will be using your lecture document on Reconstruction for my Civil War DSST next week. Thanks so much for posting it, as well as your other feedback on the test!

Candace

The Little House books are amazing! We live a couple hours from the Little House on the Prarie and see it whenever we're in that area. Smile It's fun.

I've really wanted to read Joel Rosenberg's books, but haven't had a chance yet. I'll have to do it... once I finish my degree or something. Wink

Candace, I'm glad the lecture is helping! My professor was amazing and wrote amazing lectures. Smile Hey, have you taken Western Europe yet? I scheduled it for Monday and will take any advice you have.

~Brittany
~Brittany

From 0 to 120 credits in ten months and seven days because of CollegePlus! and InstantCert!!!

bkbarden Wrote:The Little House books are amazing! We live a couple hours from the Little House on the Prarie and see it whenever we're in that area. Smile It's fun.

I've really wanted to read Joel Rosenberg's books, but haven't had a chance yet. I'll have to do it... once I finish my degree or something. Wink

Candace, I'm glad the lecture is helping! My professor was amazing and wrote amazing lectures. Smile Hey, have you taken Western Europe yet? I scheduled it for Monday and will take any advice you have.

~Brittany

I also forgot another favorite, or maybe I should say, an amazing book: Lone Survivor. It's highly worth the read if you can handle a *little* salty language!

Brittany,

I actually haven't started studying for Western Europe yet, so I don't have any advice to give you. Sorry! I was more just scouting for later. Smile I don't know if you saw the one link someone posted in answer to my thread, about the new IC cards for that test being really good? I hope everything goes well on Monday!

Candace
cdautel Wrote:I also forgot another favorite, or maybe I should say, an amazing book: Lone Survivor. It's highly worth the read if you can handle a *little* salty language!

Brittany,

I actually haven't started studying for Western Europe yet, so I don't have any advice to give you. Sorry! I was more just scouting for later. Smile I don't know if you saw the one link someone posted in answer to my thread, about the new IC cards for that test being really good? I hope everything goes well on Monday!

Candace

That's ok Candace! I'm still glad you asked... the information was helpful. Maybe I can let you know how it is once I take it. Smile
~Brittany

Love the Narnia series! Also other C.S Lewis classics are from his space trilogy, you don't think of him with sci-fi but very enjoyable nonetheless. Of course I think if they had an exclusive Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings Dante's exam I'd be in awesome shape Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project Management book bundle rachel83az 2 651 01-22-2022, 05:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Write a Book dewisant 13 2,101 06-18-2021, 04:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  19 year old book carebear_007 3 888 03-19-2021, 10:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  my book is free today! cookderosa 2 1,024 10-01-2019, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Cookderosa's new book --- Homeschooling For College Credit Daithi 37 8,006 06-17-2018, 07:26 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Bill Gates offers all US grads a free book MNomadic 4 1,393 06-05-2018, 07:39 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  What's your favorite sport? HorseManiac 19 2,662 07-27-2015, 05:10 AM
Last Post: dewisant
  Amazon book sale coupon code - HOLIDAY30, 30% off any printed book OfficerA 1 1,207 11-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Last Post: lavagirl
  Favorite Classic Literature? swf 10 1,646 09-07-2014, 09:00 PM
Last Post: ZsaZsa
  Judge a book by it's cover - ink and metal mrs.b 15 1,801 08-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512