Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Book Overall!
HoffyCoffee Wrote:Love the Narnia series! Also other C.S Lewis classics are from his space trilogy, you don't think of him with sci-fi but very enjoyable nonetheless. Of course I think if they had an exclusive Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings Dante's exam I'd be in awesome shape Smile
I've never heard about C. S. Lewis' Space Trilogy. What is it called?
[SIZE="4"]Nick[/SIZE]

CC:
Principles of Macroeconomics
Principles of Microeconomics
Music Fundamentals
Computer Literacy

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Taken:
English Composition w/ Essay CLEP 57
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP 65
Introductory Psychology CLEP 57
Western Civilization I CLEP 55[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Studying for:
Principles of Management
American Government
I think it's called the Space Trilogy. Smile It's a good series. I really enjoyed reading them.
~Brittany

From 0 to 120 credits in ten months and seven days because of CollegePlus! and InstantCert!!!

AHHHH!!!!!!!! I DID IT!!!!!!!! Graduation, here I come!

"The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save." ~Zephaniah 3:17
nick94 Wrote:I've never heard about C. S. Lewis' Space Trilogy. What is it called?

The series was called the space trilogy. Out of the silent planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength were the titles of the books in the series, and of course proved that not only was C.S Lewis an expert writer in fantasy, but also science fiction.

Very good books and quite enjoyable! They are smaller works but as with any great author, less is more sometimes!
I resolutely insist "no favorites" but I do find I read The Mote In God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle every year and the Foundation Trilogy every 2 or 3.
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Management 77[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Sociology 74[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Marketing 78[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Psychology 80 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro Business Law 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 73[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP A & I Lit 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Financial Accounting 62[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Ethics in America 468[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST MIS 482[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Natural Science 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Org Behavior 80[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Finance 462[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Next: ALEKS Jail (College Algebra) Going dark to finish[/SIZE]
My favorite book overall would either be Lord ofthe Rings...ok, so that's more than one book
or Moonfleet. It's by Faulkner and it's awesome!Big Grin
Just read my new favorite and have a bit of advice for avid readers. When you are reading a good book and can't put it down but should go to sleep, TAKE THE SLEEP! I stayed up till about 3AM reading Frank Peretti's books, This Present Darkness and Piercing The Darkness. Out of the two I prefer the first. I don't agree with the theology but, well, it is a great read!
[SIZE="4"]Nick[/SIZE]

CC:
Music Fundamentals
Computer Literacy

Studying for:
Principles of Management
American Government
nick94 Wrote:Just read my new favorite and have a bit of advice for avid readers. When you are reading a good book and can't put it down but should go to sleep, TAKE THE SLEEP! I stayed up till about 3AM reading Frank Peretti's books, This Present Darkness and Piercing The Darkness. Out of the two I prefer the first. I don't agree with the theology but, well, it is a great read!

lol... I did the EXACT same thing when I first read those books. I was up until 3 reading one of them. I can never remember which one I like best... the titles are too similar. But I do enjoy them. Have you read any of his other books?

The Visitation was interesting, though not one of my favorites. Tilly was awesome... a very different genre, but very good. I also like the Cooper Kids Series. All in all, I like Frank Peretti. Smile

I must say though... good books always come before sleep. ALWAYS. Wink
~Brittany

From 0 to 120 credits in ten months and seven days because of CollegePlus! and InstantCert!!!

bkbarden Wrote:lol... I did the EXACT same thing when I first read those books. I was up until 3 reading one of them. I can never remember which one I like best... the titles are too similar. But I do enjoy them. Have you read any of his other books?

The Visitation was interesting, though not one of my favorites. Tilly was awesome... a very different genre, but very good. I also like the Cooper Kids Series. All in all, I like Frank Peretti. Smile

I must say though... good books always come before sleep. ALWAYS. Wink
Uh... yes... Harrumph... Books are really good and NORMALLY come before sleep for me. But I had a "busy" day ahead of me and no, I was not taking a CLEP. I haven't read The Visitation and I haven't read Tilly but Tilly sounds familiar to me... I think I watched a Dramatic Interpretation on it.. Is it about a person who dreams she is in heaven and meets Tilly?
[SIZE="4"]Nick[/SIZE]

CC:
Music Fundamentals
Computer Literacy

Studying for:
Principles of Management
American Government
nick94 Wrote:Uh... yes... Harrumph... Books are really good and NORMALLY come before sleep for me. But I had a "busy" day ahead of me and no, I was not taking a CLEP. I haven't read The Visitation and I haven't read Tilly but Tilly sounds familiar to me... I think I watched a Dramatic Interpretation on it.. Is it about a person who dreams she is in heaven and meets Tilly?

Ok, I will amend my definitive statement. Busy days should, occasionally, warrant postponing late night book reading. Smile

Tilly is about a woman who meets her child (Tilly) in heaven. It's been made into a movie and I've seen several interpretations of it. It's an excellent story. I highly recommend the book as well.
~Brittany

I read the CS Lewis space trilogy when I was way too young...12 maybe? When I got to That Hideous Strength I gave up about a quarter in because for some reason it seemed unrelated. Again, way too young for that book and I don't remember that well.

Now I read Ann Rice regularly, Tolkien, Civil Disobedience by Thoreou. Anybody and everybody should read Civil Disobedience, it's a fairly short essay, and a wonderful read. He is also a poet so his writing does not get mired down in technicals. It is a work of a great man. Ghandi read and studied his work in the development of his philosophy. It's important to remember the date of writing (mid 1800s I think) when reading it, it was a differant world. Certain understandings must be made when applying it to today (more complex infastructure).
My favorite line:
"When I came out of prison--for some one interfered, and paid that tax"

But the best BOOK ever may be the Mummy by Ann Rice. Such a strange book, short and wonderfully written. My other favorites are sci-fi novels by Timothy Zahn which will not be named for fear of making me more of a geek and not the cool kind.

I'm going to re-read Invisible Man soon, as I was barely worthy to read it in High School. I was awed but not enough. I think this time is will blow me away. I just wasn't ready last time.
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/...82,00.html
http://cafety.org/films/765-whos-watchin...ontana-pbs

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

63 FEMA courses complete 1/2/10
4 NFA courses Complete 1/5/10
A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
MCP XP PRO (Microsoft Certified Professional)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Straighterline Macro Econ
Straighterline Micro Econ
Straighterline Accounting I
Straighterline Accounting II
Penn Foster Info Literacy
Penn Foster Art Appreciation
Penn Foster Music Appreciation
Penn Foster Psychology

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project Management book bundle rachel83az 2 651 01-22-2022, 05:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Write a Book dewisant 13 2,101 06-18-2021, 04:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  19 year old book carebear_007 3 888 03-19-2021, 10:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  my book is free today! cookderosa 2 1,024 10-01-2019, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Cookderosa's new book --- Homeschooling For College Credit Daithi 37 8,006 06-17-2018, 07:26 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Bill Gates offers all US grads a free book MNomadic 4 1,393 06-05-2018, 07:39 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  What's your favorite sport? HorseManiac 19 2,661 07-27-2015, 05:10 AM
Last Post: dewisant
  Amazon book sale coupon code - HOLIDAY30, 30% off any printed book OfficerA 1 1,207 11-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Last Post: lavagirl
  Favorite Classic Literature? swf 10 1,645 09-07-2014, 09:00 PM
Last Post: ZsaZsa
  Judge a book by it's cover - ink and metal mrs.b 15 1,801 08-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512