Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Federal Income Taxation TECEP Advice
pandas4eva Wrote:Sounds like you got the same exam I did! Big Grin

In fairness sake, it makes sense that the AGI questions were set up with itemized deductions. We know that itemized deductions have no bearing on finding AGI because we actually studied the material. However, for someone who just walked right into the exam without studying, the word "deductions" could cause them to wrongly deduct those items when figuring AGI. I found those questions to be a sneaky wording in an attempt to discern those who know the material and those who don't, but not a typo or incorrect wording. I expected questions like that on a 400-level exam!

Yeah I could definitely see them trying to trip people up. It just seems like for the people who really know the material that the question is going to seem way to easy and could trip them up. I probably spent a good 15-20 minutes on this question because I still wasn't 100% certain I did it correct. I still don't know. Main thing I didn't like about this test is I was only 100% sure on some of the questions so I could "give" myself points for those. On half the test I was like well maybe this is what they want.. I mean it says what is the "BLAH". I know I know this material well enough that I should pass this exam easy but after taking it I have no idea. I just took the CC version of this class but its LL so I needed these UL credits.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
I think Federal Income Tax is the only course at TESU that's not available by taking courses right?
If I recall correctly, it's only available cheaply by TECEP, otherwise the BSBA Accounting would be cheap!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:I think Federal Income Tax is the only course at TESU that's not available by taking courses right?
If I recall correctly, it's only available cheaply by TECEP, otherwise the BSBA Accounting would be cheap!

There is a few courses that you need outside the cheap Study.com/SL options. But I just got my Grade back and its a 76%!!!!! Nailed it. I probably got 0 points on the one question but hey with my background in Tax and how hard I found this test to be a 76% may as well be an A in my book.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
This TECEP is open book?!? Wow. What's the "textbook" that you can use? Can you use a PDF? Do you just print out the relevant pubs?

The study guide seems based on pre-2018 tax law, I wonder if the test is still based on the old law....
(10-29-2019, 10:22 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote: This TECEP is open book?!? Wow.  What's the "textbook" that you can use? Can you use a PDF? Do you just print out the relevant pubs?

The study guide seems based on pre-2018 tax law, I wonder if the test is still based on the old law....

"You should bring your tax textbook or guide with you to refer to during this exam."
https://www2.tesu.edu/tecep.php?CourseCode=ACC-421

There is a course available.
I used a J.K. Lasser book. The comprehensive index really helps.
(10-31-2019, 03:46 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I used a J.K. Lasser book.  The comprehensive index really helps.

Thanks for the tip. Just to confirm, you can't actually use the electronic resources that they link to in the study guide document?
(10-31-2019, 07:11 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote: Thanks for the tip. Just to confirm, you can't actually use the electronic resources that they link to in the study guide document?

I was told that I couldn't use a digital version of the Lasser book.

(10-29-2019, 10:22 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote: This TECEP is open book?!? Wow.  What's the "textbook" that you can use? Can you use a PDF? Do you just print out the relevant pubs?

Open book, but in my opinion, it's not easy because there's about 900 pages of material and you have a time limit. As you may know, questions on open-book exams tend to be more applied or specific.

Quote:Open book, but in my opinion, it's not easy because there's about 900 pages of material and you have a time limit. As you may know, questions on open-book exams tend to be more applied or specific.

The questions in the study guide seemed really basic. Do you feel like the study guide was not so representative?
I found this easy-to-understand resource for taxation of partnership income. It might help others in reviewing for this exam:

https://obliviousinvestor.com/how-are-pa...ips-taxed/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Technical Writing TECEP - My Experience PreLawCoastie 2 710 03-14-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  Public Speaking TECEP PreLawCoastie 0 218 02-27-2024, 07:23 AM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 583 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TECEP FIN-3210 Security Analysis & Portfolio Management fmsoa 2 485 01-18-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: CFPhopeful
  TECEP Admissions/Rate my sanity PreLawCoastie 10 1,000 01-11-2024, 06:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP is now available on InstantCert! sgloer 0 299 01-04-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: sgloer
  Managerial Comm TECEP saraholson 7 1,691 12-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Dosada
  TECEP Federal Income Taxation Kones 9 906 12-13-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Kones
  Help - how to register for TECEP exam? Carnation 4 367 11-23-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Carnation
  Learning in the Digital Age TECEP Avidreader 0 241 11-22-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Avidreader