Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feeling Discouraged due to grade and what materials did you use
Hello,

Do you think a C+ so far (78- the lecture part) in A&P is horrible? I sorta bombed a quiz that I thought for sure I passed , I made a 67 but with our teacher we don't get our quizzes back so we can't  see what we've done wrong. I feel like an utter idiot , I was doing so well >.< I study 4 hours a day , 5 to 6 on the weekends but it get's tied up ( I'm trying to find the balance between lab and lecture when it comes to studying). The quiz Wednesday and I'm super nervous , my counselor told me not to fret since it's not midterm yet but my teacher says that it also determines our path for the rest of the course , has anyone else when you guys started went from a A to a C or below? What is your advice for this , should I study harder or perhaps lean more towards the PowerPoints our teacher provides than reading the text?
Ouch, you've studied hard enough, 4 hours a day and 5/6 hours on the weekend is roughly the same amount I would recommend. Anyways, if the course material isn't hitting you properly, studying harder wouldn't actually benefit you. I would study smarter, by taking a look at what you lack in most within the course.

Besides or in addition to reviewing the Power Points Pres your teacher has for you, you can do the following:
1) Read or skim through the chapter materials and make you own "Coles notes" of the main points
2) Re-read the summary and create a list of info to review if you don't understand those points
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • 2L8
Depends on your test-taking skills and study skills.

I saw your post asking about what videos to watch. IMO that might be a good idea to use videos. See what people say on the nursing forum or what pre-med students found helpful.

You may also want to get flashcards, or if you make your own, the process of creating them can really help as much as the process of using them. You can also have flashcards on your phone. If you spread out your reviewing and learning, it will help you remember.

If you're not doing flashcards, I would at least use a lot of colors, circles, underlines, stars, etc in your notes.

Also you may need to get a study partner who is motivated.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • 2L8
The problem, as I see it, is that what will help you understand will also take time away from the new stuff that's going to keep coming at you. Meaning, you're at a "C" level now, you really need to ALSO learn that info- it's going to be on that midterm, so you are getting your new content this week but you can't let it slide that you have gaps in your weeks that have passed.

What week number are you in now and how many weeks is this class? I'd like to see the big picture before offering any real advice.
(09-11-2019, 12:42 PM)cookderosa Wrote: The problem, as I see it, is that what will help you understand will also take time away from the new stuff that's going to keep coming at you.  Meaning, you're at a "C" level now, you really need to ALSO learn that info- it's going to be on that midterm, so you are getting your new content this week but you can't let it slide that you have gaps in your weeks that have passed.

What week number are you in now and how many weeks is this class?  I'd like to see the big picture before offering any real advice.

4 weeks in but 16 weeks in all, the exam was today the class average was a 68 , I got a 65... sooo from a 78 t a 67 .. bummer We start on the systems next week , so I'm gonna improve and keep my head up. I take notes and I study for 5-6 hours on weekends and 4 hours weekdays. I'm not gonna lie I struggled with chem tremendously , but cytology was a breeze.

(09-11-2019, 11:45 AM)Ideas Wrote: Depends on your test-taking skills and study skills.

I saw your post asking about what videos to watch. IMO that might be a good idea to use videos. See what people say on the nursing forum or what pre-med students found helpful.

You may also want to get flashcards, or if you make your own, the process of creating them can really help as much as the process of using them. You can also have flashcards on your phone. If you spread out your reviewing and learning, it will help you remember.

If you're not doing flashcards, I would at least use a lot of colors, circles, underlines, stars, etc in your notes.

Also you may need to get a study partner who is motivated.

I will try flashcards but I do color code notes as well , underline , stars , bullets , etc. I also use quizlet. As for study partners , there isn't really anyone "motivated" , I tried with 90% of the remaining classmates I had  , no ones really motivated , in our class if you have a 70 people want to study.. aka use you. I'll try to find study partners outside of class though.
Did you contact the professor for help? Or do your school offer private tutor for your class?
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

"4 weeks in but 16 weeks in all, the exam was today the class average was a 68 , I got a 65... sooo from a 78 t a 67 .. bummer We start on the systems next week "

Ok, so then you still have enough of the class left to pull this up into a high grade. Disregard the class average unless your teacher grades on a curve.

If I were in your shoes, I'd check the last date to withdrawal with a "W" on the academic calendar. If you're not high 80's by then, I'd take the W and try again next semester.
(09-11-2019, 04:23 PM)cookderosa Wrote: "4 weeks in but 16 weeks in all, the exam was today the class average was a 68 , I got a 65... sooo from a 78 t a 67 .. bummer We start on the systems next week "

Ok, so then you still have enough of the class left to pull this up into a high grade.  Disregard the class average unless your teacher grades on a curve.

If I were in your shoes, I'd check the last date to withdrawal with a "W" on the academic calendar.  If you're not high 80's by then, I'd take the W and try again next semester.

So a high grade is achievable it may seem stupid but I wanna aim for A? I'm gonna try to hold on because I sorta planned ahead , and wanted to be in micro by next fall. I looked over my habits and one major habit I think is bad is studying in bed  Exclamation . Since class begins at 8is and ends at 9 , I'm gonna take 4 hours to study then go to open lab and tutoring. Then when I get home review and relax.

(09-11-2019, 04:14 PM)Imbanewbie Wrote: Did you contact the professor for help? Or do your school offer private tutor for your class?

Our professor doesn't offer "help" he just teaches , also tutoring is free at my school so I'm gonna take FULL advantage from now on.
I agree about withdrawing if you're not doing well enough by the withdrawal deadline. And possibly find a different teacher/school where they actually help you more.

Hopefully the free tutoring will help enough.

Does that teacher offer extra credit?

(09-11-2019, 06:34 PM)Ideas Wrote: I agree about withdrawing if you're not doing well enough by the withdrawal deadline. And possibly find a different teacher/school where they actually help you more.

Hopefully the free tutoring will help enough.

Does that teacher offer extra credit?

He does but not until after midterm.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Grade for credit Mike Williams 14 1,261 01-11-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: davewill
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 593 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  National Trends in Grade Inflation for American Colleges LevelUP 1 500 09-21-2022, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Courcelles
  Options for "Fast/Cheap" Credits that Give a Letter Grade at the Big Three? retro 5 1,466 11-06-2019, 03:42 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com materials for DSST Principles of Finance? Cordero9001 1 1,000 04-20-2019, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  Devastated after recent assignment grade Cheeseburrito 8 1,634 03-20-2019, 07:55 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Seriously worried—almost all of degree university-level courses = grade 12 courses pws 12 5,988 03-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  AP vs CLEP same study materials? MNomadic 3 1,278 08-04-2018, 09:52 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  How to make an appeal on the grade - DSST Pub. Speak. BenWalton 11 3,536 03-19-2018, 11:08 PM
Last Post: greencouch
  Having a hard time and feeling like an idiot... blaczkowitz 11 3,106 12-30-2017, 10:23 PM
Last Post: mlwilliamsiv