Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Financaia Aid?
Anyone in this same boat or have advice?? My son is a sophomore in college. He has ADHD/Dyslexia, etc. We paid out of pocket last year and now his college fund is exhausted. He did get $6500 loans from Feds towards tuition this year but now having to get private loans. The problem is his GPA is terrible. He will never be a stellar student. Some lenders want to see at least a 3.0 GPA. This might never happen for him. We are trying to get as good a loan as possible but it infuriates me to have to pay more interest due to his GPA when he has disabilities. BTW...Y'all were very helpful when I was going back to school so I am hoping someone might have some good advice. Thanks!
TESC: BA and AA, Liberal Studies, History concentration, 2011

Regents College (Excelsior): AS, Liberal Studies, 2000

Trident Technical College: Certified Medical Assistant, Certified Nursing Assistant, EKG Technician, 1994-1996
[-] The following 1 user Likes bsinsc's post:
  • cookderosa
(10-09-2018, 10:10 PM)bsinsc Wrote: Anyone in this same boat or have advice?? My son is a sophomore in college. He has ADHD/Dyslexia, etc. We paid out of pocket last year and now his college fund is exhausted. He did get $6500 loans from Feds towards tuition this year but now having to get private loans. The problem is his GPA is terrible. He will never be a stellar student. Some lenders want to see at least a 3.0 GPA. This might never happen for him. We are trying to get as good a loan as possible but it infuriates me to have to pay more interest due to his GPA when he has disabilities. BTW...Y'all were very helpful when I was going back to school so I am hoping someone might have some good advice. Thanks!

Which factors are motivating him to stay in a traditional B&M school instead of completing a competency-based program, as you did? With the exorbitant cost and his learning disability, I would think he would perform better in a competency-based program.
Have you looked into disability related scholarships?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Yes, he applied to many scholarships and not one has come through. He is in a military college (The Citadel) for the structure and of course the degree at the end will be one that will network for him the rest of his life. He's an only child and being there has been a fabulous experience in camaraderie. He's also a bagpiper and part of the band. Unfortunately, no $ for that. Totally different situation than mine.
TESC: BA and AA, Liberal Studies, History concentration, 2011

Regents College (Excelsior): AS, Liberal Studies, 2000

Trident Technical College: Certified Medical Assistant, Certified Nursing Assistant, EKG Technician, 1994-1996
[-] The following 1 user Likes bsinsc's post:
  • Ideas
Yeah having structure and forced discipline can be good for some people.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help but I really don't know much about student loans.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
(10-09-2018, 11:00 PM)bsinsc Wrote: Yes, he applied to many scholarships and not one has come through. He is in a military college (The Citadel)  for the structure and of course the degree at the end will be one that will network for him the rest of his life. He's an only child and being there has been a fabulous experience in camaraderie. He's also a bagpiper and part of the band. Unfortunately, no $ for that. Totally different situation than mine.

The cheapest money you'll be able to get is taping into your home equity. You can also write off interest payments on that loan.
You should apply for a Parent Plus loan and put him into an ROTC program at a state school. Private school loans should be avoided.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(10-10-2018, 01:34 AM)sanantone Wrote: You should apply for a Parent Plus loan and put him into an ROTC program at a state school. Private school loans should be avoided.

Do College RoTC programs require one to join the military after graduation?

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
(10-10-2018, 01:42 AM)MNomadic Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 01:34 AM)sanantone Wrote: You should apply for a Parent Plus loan and put him into an ROTC program at a state school. Private school loans should be avoided.

Do College RoTC programs require one to join the military after graduation?

Only if you receive an ROTC scholarship or complete the ROTC advanced course. 

If structure is important, then there are also merchant marine programs at a few public universities, and the Coast Guard Auxiliary has university programs since the Coast Guard does not have ROTC.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(10-09-2018, 10:10 PM)bsinsc Wrote: Anyone in this same boat or have advice?? My son is a sophomore in college. He has ADHD/Dyslexia, etc. We paid out of pocket last year and now his college fund is exhausted. He did get $6500 loans from Feds towards tuition this year but now having to get private loans. The problem is his GPA is terrible. He will never be a stellar student. Some lenders want to see at least a 3.0 GPA. This might never happen for him. We are trying to get as good a loan as possible but it infuriates me to have to pay more interest due to his GPA when he has disabilities. BTW...Y'all were very helpful when I was going back to school so I am hoping someone might have some good advice. Thanks!

So, he still has open slots for CLEP. Is that an option? http://www.citadel.edu/root/mba?option=c...Itemid=768

Based on their tuition rate, every CLEP he passes saves you $2500 in student loans and is one less scholarship to apply for- but you have to do it now, CLEP won't work after the sophomore year.