Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding Peer-Reviewed Sources
I'm starting work on my essays for my Study.com American Civil War Era class, and I don't have much research experience. What are some resources you have used for tracking down peer-reviewed sources (e.g. a specific search engine or Google tactic to get peer-reviewed sources in your results)?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
https://scholar.google.com/

I find that the bar is not that high for sources in study.com classes. That link should be enough.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • a2jc4life, jsd
If you are enrolled at TESU, you can get a NJ State Library card for free which gets you electronic access to a number of databases with peer-reviewed documents. It would also be good to get familiar with it ahead of a capstone course.

https://www.njstatelib.org/research_libr...niversity/
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Also, I was able to use my local library membership to access their peer reviewed article databases.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(10-11-2018, 01:33 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I'm starting work on my essays for my Study.com American Civil War Era class, and I don't have much research experience. What are some resources you have used for tracking down peer-reviewed sources (e.g. a specific search engine or Google tactic to get peer-reviewed sources in your results)?

I took all three Upper Level History classes that Study.com offers and I don't think I used any peer-reviewed sources and I still passed. Almost all the websites I used ended in .org and .edu. They always mentioned in the comments that I should use peer-reviewed sources but that's only one part of the rubric used to grade. 
Of course it's good practice to find the peer-reviewed sources and might be useful in future classes. But for me, I had a lot to do and since it's only Pass/Fail and I really hate to write, I just did the essays as quickly as I could. 
I know it's not the good, scholarly thing to do. And maybe I didn't get everything out of the classes that I could. But I did actually read all the lessons and did my best on the quizzes and the tests.
Anyway, that's just what I did.

Good luck with your papers.
(10-19-2018, 01:19 PM)Jenna.C Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 01:33 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I'm starting work on my essays for my Study.com American Civil War Era class, and I don't have much research experience. What are some resources you have used for tracking down peer-reviewed sources (e.g. a specific search engine or Google tactic to get peer-reviewed sources in your results)?

I took all three Upper Level History classes that Study.com offers and I don't think I used any peer-reviewed sources and I still passed. Almost all the websites I used ended in .org and .edu. They always mentioned in the comments that I should use peer-reviewed sources but that's only one part of the rubric used to grade. 
Of course it's good practice to find the peer-reviewed sources and might be useful in future classes. But for me, I had a lot to do and since it's only Pass/Fail and I really hate to write, I just did the essays as quickly as I could. 
I know it's not the good, scholarly thing to do. And maybe I didn't get everything out of the classes that I could. But I did actually read all the lessons and did my best on the quizzes and the tests.

How tough did you find them on grading assignments? 
I am doing the lower level Vietnam course right now and going to start the upper level afterwards. 

I am open to any other upper level sdc courses after that.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(10-20-2018, 12:22 PM)zzzz24 Wrote:

I am doing the lower level Vietnam course right now and going to start the upper level afterwards. 

I don't think they are very tough on grading. I did all my papers in a very rushed manner and I didn't follow all the directions about peer-reviews sources or primary sources, or even length. They were definitely not high quality papers but I still passed. 
I feel like as long as you write about what you're supposed to and try to organize it in an order that makes sense, you will pass. Also try using mostly sources that end in .org, .gov, and .edu. They're not hard to find on the topics asked about. 
I did the papers knowing that I only had to have a combined 55% on the Final and the assignments. And I know that tests are more suited to me than papers. You can also take the test first and then you will know exactly what you need on the papers to pass.

I recommend all the Upper Level history classes, despite the fact that I found the papers annoying. I learned a lot from them.
(10-20-2018, 01:05 PM)Jenna.C Wrote:

I don't think they are very tough on grading. I did all my papers in a very rushed manner and I didn't follow all the directions about peer-reviews sources or primary sources, or even length. They were definitely not high quality papers but I still passed. 
I feel like as long as you write about what you're supposed to and try to organize it in an order that makes sense, you will pass. Also try using mostly sources that end in .org, .gov, and .edu. They're not hard to find on the topics asked about. 
I did the papers knowing that I only had to have a combined 55% on the Final and the assignments. And I know that tests are more suited to me than papers. You can also take the test first and then you will know exactly what you need on the papers to pass.

I recommend all the Upper Level history classes, despite the fact that I found the papers annoying. I learned a lot from them.

Thanks. I am about to start on the Vietnam Essays... how I wish there weren't any assignments.. or at least only one
Credits:
(10-21-2018, 07:36 PM)zzzz24 Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 01:05 PM)Jenna.C Wrote:

Thanks. I am about to start on the Vietnam Essays... how I wish there weren't any assignments.. or at least only one
I know the feeling! 
Good luck! You'll do fine.
I did well on the final, so I just submitted my papers.

Hopefully it's enough to pass. If not, I guess I will have to resubmit them.
Credits:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New credit sources on Coursera rachel83az 66 8,841 09-16-2022, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Blckbuster
  Help finding an accounting course cdickerson0601 6 920 01-19-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Which WGU transfer sources are the quickest? AW84 2 970 08-08-2021, 03:34 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  How do these alternative credit sources come in to the Big 3? Graded or Pass/Fail studyingfortests 5 1,056 04-22-2021, 01:56 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  InstantCert Now Offers ACE Reviewed Courses sgloer 50 9,853 06-18-2020, 07:09 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Request for help with finding correct Shmoop courses Maelynn 3 1,228 03-17-2018, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Are there any sources for Cell Biology, Biology I/II, Chem I/II, Organic Chem I/II? Pelican 4 1,536 03-13-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: icampy
  TESU Equivalencies for all alternative credit sources? kevinmane 8 4,226 02-08-2018, 11:26 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  What is the format of available sources of alternative credit? Pelican 3 1,119 01-17-2018, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  What are some affordable sources of UL credit for a BA in Natural Sciences? Pelican 2 1,176 12-30-2017, 02:25 PM
Last Post: dfrecore