Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finish Degree at Baker or TESU?
(08-17-2018, 02:26 PM)shadowgem Wrote:
(08-17-2018, 12:46 AM)dan.g Wrote: Hey All,

I just wanted to send an update that I finished all the courses at Baker for the accelerated BBA program. Now I just need to finish Study.com's Public Speaking class to meet the oral communication requirement (hoping they accept it, also going to finish Straighterline's Intro to Comms class as a backup. Also, need to send them updated ACE transcript with Intermediate Algebra in the hopes it transfers over as Algebra II (I was able to take this class before Aleks ended the ACE agreement).

I should have the Study.com class done this weekend and then going to send in the new ACE transcript. Wish me luck!

I will let you guys know what happens. Worst case scenario I may need to take another math class at Baker (hopefully not).

It took many emails and reciting the manual to advisors before they would ask the Registrar what would be acceptable, but Baker informed my husband that ALEKS Intermediate Algebra transfers as MTH 111 (Introductory Algebra) which is now MTH 1110. He was required to fulfill the credits for MTH111 even though he was already awarded credit for MTH112. They were really pushing a waiver exam and CLEP exam beforehand. You may want to ask about their waiver or CLEP equivalencies.

Thanks for the insight on this, looks like I will indeed need to take another math class then. They accepted beginning algebra from ALEKS as Algebra I, but that was a while ago. Perhaps they will take Trig instead of Algebra II. I really just don't want to pay another $1,500 for a math class that I don't need especially after taking every other class needed Sad.

(08-17-2018, 11:03 PM)dan.g Wrote:

I just wanted to send an update that I finished all the courses at Baker for the accelerated BBA program. Now I just need to finish Study.com's Public Speaking class to meet the oral communication requirement (hoping they accept it, also going to finish Straighterline's Intro to Comms class as a backup. Also, need to send them updated ACE transcript with Intermediate Algebra in the hopes it transfers over as Algebra II (I was able to take this class before Aleks ended the ACE agreement).

I should have the Study.com class done this weekend and then going to send in the new ACE transcript. Wish me luck!

I will let you guys know what happens. Worst case scenario I may need to take another math class at Baker (hopefully not).

It took many emails and reciting the manual to advisors before they would ask the Registrar what would be acceptable, but Baker informed my husband that ALEKS Intermediate Algebra transfers as MTH 111 (Introductory Algebra) which is now MTH 1110. He was required to fulfill the credits for MTH111 even though he was already awarded credit for MTH112. They were really pushing a waiver exam and CLEP exam beforehand. You may want to ask about their waiver or CLEP equivalencies.

Thanks for the insight on this, looks like I will indeed need to take another math class then. They accepted beginning algebra from ALEKS as Algebra I, but that was a while ago. Perhaps they will take Trig instead of Algebra II. I really just don't want to pay another $1,500 for a math class that I don't need especially after taking every other class needed Sad.

Also, I've noticed they don't really give insight on what they will accept until you send in the transcript, which makes it even more difficult.
Take all the ALEKS math you can while they're recommended for credit. If you need other math courses, see if they accept StraighterLine (Business Statistics) or Study.com and take the courses there - such as an easy Math 102/103 from Study.com or their Calculus, or Stats course. There are others such as Saylor.org's Business Statistics, email the school and see if any will come over as a possible requirement for your missing math course.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-17-2018, 11:09 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Take all the ALEKS math you can while they're recommended for credit.  If you need other math courses, see if they accept StraighterLine (Business Statistics) or Study.com and take the courses there - such as an easy Math 102/103 from Study.com or their Calculus, or Stats course.  There are others such as Saylor.org's Business Statistics, email the school and see if any will come over as a possible requirement for your missing math course.

ALEKS is ACE recommended through 5/31/2020 now, so this isn't as much of a time crunch as it once was.

If you're looking for statistics courses, keep in mind that the ALEKS stats courses are tougher than they look. Probably not a great first option other than for people who are looking for an applied math-based statistics course (such as for folks going into STEM subjects). The math itself isn't that hard (precalc/algebra based, no calculus), but there is a lot of it, and the approach they take isn't exactly straightforward. Or at least I didn't think so. I scored well, but I spent a month studying precalc/trig and stats from other sites before I jumped into the ALEKS stats course.

The Straighterline Business Stats and Study.com Intro Stats courses are more theory than applied stats, and probably a better/easier choice for most folks. Those were my fallback if ALEKS didn't work out for me.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Also, I've noticed they don't really give insight on what they will accept until you send in the transcript, which makes it even more difficult.

That was the same position he was stuck in as well. He was actually required to take it even though it was remedial and refused to pay their tuition for a remedial course, so I understand. I would suggest to send the ALEKS syllabus for College Algebra and PreCalculus/Trig and ask the adviser (keep in mind you may have to be persistent with this request) to forward each syllabus to the Registrar to see if any of those courses would meet the missing course requirement you need to fill. If you are missing Stats, do the same for that course with all three Stats courses Aleks offers. Statistics on ALEKS is definitely more challenging, but that way you will at least know if taking it there is an option. 

Also inquire about their own "challenge exam". As I mentioned before they do have some test out exams of their own that may also be an option for you with this requirement so it can't hurt to ask.  Smile I don't recall the price, but I think it was only $100 or so for their test out version he was offered.
Hey Guys,

Thanks again for your feedback and advice, it is much appreciated as I look forward to completing this difficult journey to my Bachelors. I finished Aleks Trigonometry (on my ACE transcript) and now just need to submit the three speeches for Study.com Public Speaking. I also just emailed Baker requesting a review to ensure all requirements are met, and if Aleks Intermediate Algebra, Trigonometry, or Pre Calc will meet the requirements for Algebra II. I also asked for clarification on if Study.com will meet the standards for Oral Communication.

I made sure to include a word document with the full description and recommendations from ACE so they have all information in front of them. I am hoping they can review all of this before I send in transcripts, as it is my goal to graduate this semester.

I will keep you all posted!
(08-28-2018, 10:48 PM)dan.g Wrote: Hey Guys,

Thanks again for your feedback and advice, it is much appreciated as I look forward to completing this difficult journey to my Bachelors. I finished Aleks Trigonometry (on my ACE transcript) and now just need to submit the three speeches for Study.com Public Speaking. I also just emailed Baker requesting a review to ensure all requirements are met, and if Aleks Intermediate Algebra, Trigonometry, or Pre Calc will meet the requirements for Algebra II. I also asked for clarification on if Study.com will meet the standards for Oral Communication.

I made sure to include a word document with the full description and recommendations from ACE so they have all information in front of them. I am hoping they can review all of this before I send in transcripts, as it is my goal to graduate this semester.

I will keep you all posted!

I got a quick reply from the college. Aleks PreCalculus is equivalent to Algebra II and Study.com Public Speaking is equal to the Oral Communication class. Now I just need to wrap up the Study.com class and I should be good to go!
(08-29-2018, 09:34 AM)dan.g Wrote: I got a quick reply from the college. Aleks PreCalculus is equivalent to Algebra II and Study.com Public Speaking is equal to the Oral Communication class. Now I just need to wrap up the Study.com class and I should be good to go!

Great news! I'm glad to hear those courses worked out for you.  Smile
Well... It took a bit longer than I wanted but I am finally finished with this program (Bachelor of Business Administration - Baker College). I ended up taking oral communication through Baker because I kept putting off the video recordings and found it better to be forced to do so on a schedule. Thanks to everyone on this forum for helping me in achieving my goal. I am forever grateful that I found the alternative credits available through SL and ALEKS. I am now trying to convince my brother to use this method to get his degree in criminal justice at TESU.

I'll probably post a new thread, but considering a MBA in IT Management through WGU. Any suggestions?
Baker College BBA (Graduated May 2019)
SL Credits: 54
ALEKS Credits: 9
[-] The following 3 users Like dan.g's post:
  • eriehiker, jsd, Muldoon
Congrats Dan!
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Congratulations Man! You did it, great job!
Yes - Suggest that to your brother and get him to finish his Criminal Justice degree.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 684 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 288 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 644 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,802 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 578 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 513 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 289 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 873 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,249 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,844 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74